Nick Fairley still finding his fit with Rams/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Fairley still finding his fit with Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/22543/nick-fairley-still-finding-his-fit-with-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Signed as a free agent to help provide depth for the St. Louis Rams at defensive tackle, Nick Fairley figured to find himself in position to play a lot, make an impact and take another shot at the open market in 2016.

But playing behind Aaron Donald has a tendency to leave the player wanting for more opportunities.

"I’m just here to do whatever the coaches need me to do, that’s what I’m here to do," Fairley said. "Whenever my time is called, I try to go in and make the best of it. Just whatever the coaches call my number, I’m there whenever they need me and there to make the most of my opportunities."

On the surface, Fairley's one-year deal with the Rams hasn't provided a major return on investment. Then again, he hasn't had many chances to provide it.

Through the first five games, Fairley has played 86 snaps, an average of a little more than 17 per game. In those games, Fairley has five tackles, a half a sack and a pass breakup.

Those surface-level numbers don't show much production, but the folks at Pro Football Focus believe Fairley has been productive despite his limited snaps. For what it's worth, PFF has graded Fairley at plus-6.9 with a 5.6 grade for his pass rushing. They've also credited him with four quarterback hurries.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher has been pleased with Fairley's production filling in for Donald and nose tackle Michael Brockers.

“He’s done well," Fisher said. "He’s playing a good number of snaps to keep the rotation alive in there and keep ‘Brock’ and Aaron fresh. So, he’s come in and he’s ... even though he’s a little bit lighter, still holding on the double teams and still playing run defense well. He’s getting good pressure on the quarterback.”

While Fairley's numbers might be a bit nondescript, he has had some eye-catching moments, including a screen he sniffed out last week against Green Bay. On the play, Fairley read the play and jumped in front of quarterback Aaron Rodgers' pass but was unable to squeeze it as the ball hit him between the numbers. It was an impressive play. but Fairley couldn't help but think "What if?".

"Man, all I’ve got to say is I’ve got to get on the JUGS from here on out," Fairley said. "I played tight end back in the day. I think it went away though, my hands aren’t there for me."

Fairley seems perfectly content in his current role though like any player, more snaps would probably be at the top of his wish list. In the meantime, he credits defensive line coach Mike Waufle with helping him improve from day to day and says defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' scheme is a good fit for him.

"Yeah, big time," Fairley said. "The style of play I bring to the table with the get off and being able to get into the backfield with the quickness I have, it’s something that Coach Gregg and Coach Wauf look for with a defensive tackle that can get in the backfield and try to cause havoc."

Now if Fairley can just get a few more chances to do that, he could set himself up for the big second contract that eluded him last offseason. For now, he's not too concerned with anything but helping the Rams win.

"Now I’m into the season, I am just trying to make the best of this opportunity here with the Rams in 2015," Fairley said.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fairley's getting better and better. Just like Langford. Still wonder about this investment?