Nick Fairley Signing Gives Rams Deepest, Scariest D-Line, but Will It Matter?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Bleacher Report Alert: Beware all who enter here!!!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ms-deepest-scariest-d-line-but-will-it-matter

Nick Fairley Signing Gives Rams Deepest, Scariest D-Line, but Will It Matter?
By Ty Schalter, NFL National Lead Writer

a1feba0f957f08f07001da39a4f909d4_crop_north.png

Nick Fairley was Cam Newton's defensive counterpart at Auburn. In Detroit, Fairley was Ndamukong Suh's partner in crime.

Now, in St. Louis, Fairley joins sophomore stud Aaron Donald and 2012 first-round pick Michael Brockers at the heart of the NFL's scariest defensive line. On the outside, pass-rushing terror Robert Quinn, former No. 2 overall pick Chris Long, William Hayes and Eugene Sims take turns attacking from the flanks.

The depth of talent, speed and size that will suit up along the Rams' front in 2015 will be mind-boggling. Should all these spectacular talents play as well as they're capable of, the Rams' back seven will be able to pick daisies, sip Mai Tais and take naps while Fairley and company wreak havoc.

As NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reported, though, Fairley didn't get a big commitment from St. Louis:

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

#Rams signed DT Nick Fairley on a 1-year deal worth $5M base, source said. He can make up to $7.5M in incentives. A prove-it deal.

So-called "prove it" deals are common with veterans who've struggled with health, production, off-the-field problems or commitment.

Fairley's career hasn't been derailed by any of the above, but it has been hampered by nearly all of it.

He hasn't had a major off-field incident or any personal-conduct suspensions. But the evidence and charges surrounding a dropped drug charge in 2012 and a recent DUI acquittal prove that even if Fairley isn't a criminal, he doesn't always make wise choices.

In today's NFL and media climate, adding a guy who has a habit of accidentally ending up in handcuffs is a big, big risk.

He hasn't been a rock on the field, either.

Fairley's shown flashes of brilliance, especially during the 2013 season. Healthy and motivated, he spent much of the season looking like the Lions' best defender. He ended up starting 15 games and racking up six sacks. But while the splash plays were there, the consistency wasn't.

"He has still been inconsistent," former Lions head coach Jim Schwartz told Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. "He played very well in spurts. I think that was encouraging, but there has also been some inconsistency."

Not only did the Lions keep seeing inconsistency in Fairley in 2013, they kept seeing more of him.

He slowly put on weight throughout the season, a time when most players shed weight from the constant grind. He finished the season at a too-heavy 320 pounds.

In the following spring, Fairley had a corrective procedure to correct sleep apnea and changed his diet. He showed up for training camp at a relatively svelte 295 pounds, per Tim Twentyman of the Lions' official site. Ironically, 295 was still outside his assigned weight range—too skinny!

By the start of the season, though, Fairley was back up to 315, per Kyle Meinke of MLive.com, and his play reflected his appearance. His lethargic, slogging efforts got him demoted to the second team.

"I don't know where his head's at. I wish I knew," defensive tackle C.J. Mosley told Meinke. "If I knew, man, I'd grab his head and bring it back to where it's supposed to be. I just don't know." First-team All-Pro linemate Ndamukong Suh, who also left Detroit, said something more promising—and more damning.

"I haven't said this a lot, or to many people, more or less, but Nick is more athletically gifted than me," Ndamukong Suh told Meinke. "He has an opportunity to be better than me."

Think about that: Suh has been voted one of the two best defensive tackles in football by the Associated Press in three of the last five seasons. Only two tackles ranked higher than Suh in Pro Football Focus' overall grades in 2014, and one of them was Donald.

If Fairley could screw his head on straight and get motivated, the Rams would have the two best defensive tackles in football playing right next to each other.

Rams head coach Jeff Fisher has extensive working relationships with Lions defensive line coach Jim Washburn, Lions defensive assistant Gunther Cunningham and former Lions head coach Jim Schwartz. Perhaps none of the other 31 coaching staffs could know what motivates Fairley as well as Fisher and his staff will.

The idea of a peak-form Fairley playing next to Donald is a football dream sequence, especially with 322-pound run-stuffer Brockers rotating in to keep them fresh.

If Quinn and Long could return to their 2013 form, not only would the Rams have the scariest, deepest defensive line in football, they'd have one of the best defensive lines ever.

Of course, the odds of all those ifs working out are on the long side, which is why the lack of commitment is worrying. And, oh yes, there's the small matter of the 18 other players on the field.

For all their talent up front, the Rams' linebackers are mediocre at best. Their secondary is decent but lacks a real difference-maker. All told, the Rams finished 16th in scoring defense last season—right in the middle of the pack.

Then there's the offense.

With top two quarterbacks Sam Bradford and Shaun Hill gone, replaced by deposed Philadelphia Eagles signal-caller Nick Foles, any semblance of offensive identity or continuity has gone kaput.

The Rams have brought in a parade of second- and third-tier running back talent to no effective end, and 2013 No. 8 overall pick Tavon Austin still hasn't proven he's anything more than an ineffective tweener.

The Rams finished 21st in scoring offense in 2014, and it's hard to see how they'll get better in 2015. With the Seattle Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals all firmly above the Rams and blowing up the transaction wires trying to improve, even adding a talent like Fairley to one of the NFL's best units can't make up for that.

After all, if adding Fairley to an already-outstanding defensive line were enough to propel an otherwise-flawed team to glory, the Lions would have a lot more to show for it.

SierraRam

Recreational User

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Yet another useless Bleacher Report article, and this guy is supposed to be the lead NFC West writer. I'm really talking about the last part of the article blasting the rest of the personnel. Our linebackers as a whole aren't mediocre at best. Ogletree came on real strong near the end and he will break out next season. Also, Ayers will be a very nice step up from Dunbar. We have a nice trio of RBs, and while I don't think Mason will be a second tier back what's the matter with having 3 of them? Does this dope think we're just done with free agency and the draft and we're not gonna do dick to upgrade our offense? Furthermore, what the hell does he think Arizona is dealing with on their offense? Sure they brought in Iupati, but what about the rest of that offense that wasn't good last year? Float around all the Peterson rumors you want, but last I checked he isn't an Arizona Cardinal and Ellington is definitely a 2nd tier running back and they don't have squat around him like us. Palmer is older and is coming back from his 2nd acl tear, so QB is a huge question mark for them too. San Francisco is firmly above us? FUCK this guy

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't think our D-line will matter as much as some think due to our pass coverage. If that improves, then you'll see the D-line go crazy.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
We now Have 5 1st round D Lineman and it just so happens that our newest addition Nick Fairley was also drafted number 13 overall like the monster he will be playing next to.
I know that Fairley has a tendency to play a little less than motivated at times and can get lost for periods of games. The fresh start and infectious enthusiasm of players like Quinn, Long and Donald on the line should go a long way in rejuvenating his desires. When he entered the NFL after wreaking havoc all season for the national champion Auburn Tigers including a dominating performance in the National Championship Game
I was certain I was watching the best DT I had seen since Suh and Kong Suh was special. I still believe Fairley was one of the top 5 coming out of the collegiate ranks in a decade.
Now how do we get these 5 on the field? could we play a reverse Eagle (The Falcon) with Brockers at nose? how would anyone match up to that?
I know huge risks and not a reality........hmmmm or is it? Ayers and Ogletree behind the big 5. sounds fun at least for an off season post to ponder.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I disagree about the running backs. We have 2 capable starters who bring 2 different skill sets and 1 very good 3rd down back.

He's right about the linebackers. Olgletree is outstanding one minute, and poor the next. James L is known more for his intelligence than thumping and it's unclear actually how much Ayers is even going to be on the field with the 3 safety look we employ. I'd rather have Barron out there on passing downs even as a blitzer.

No need to go into OL. A Tibetan monk with no access to civilization knows we have no OL at the moment.

I disagree on the QBs as well. Foles isn't going to change our offense, he is just going to be better in it than hill or Davis. Keenum is an upgrade over those guys as well. The only second guessing I have on him is why the hell he didn't play last year.

As far as the NFC west, well we should get to .500 once in a decade before we worry about getting respect.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'd rather have Barron out there on passing downs even as a blitzer.

Considering Ayers was one of the best pass rushers in the game last season, I'd rather have him blitzing.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We had a scary defensive line last year and I can remember some pretty poor defensive games. I guess now's the time to talk up players and teams. No one can prove you're wrong till the season and everyone forgets by then.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I get real annoyed when a writer, any writer, labels players as "they are so and so AT BEST."

Like, how the hell do you know what they are capable of? And IMO it's insulting to the player. Each player has strengths and flaws, it's really that simple.

Secondly, I love how this writer praises the shitchickens, 40-shitters, and the shitbirds for signing FAs, while the Rams have essentially done the same thing. All the teams are signing lower level FAs to get depth and strengthen some positions. What FA is meant to be.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Considering Ayers was one of the best pass rushers in the game last season, I'd rather have him blitzing.

Could be. It is unusual for a team to let one of the best pass rusher in the game leave though. I'm just wondering how he's going to fit. If Ogletree gets off to his slow starts again maybe we will see Ayers and Barron at the same time.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
We now Have 5 1st round D Lineman and it just so happens that our newest addition Nick Fairley was also drafted number 13 overall like the monster he will be playing next to.
I know that Fairley has a tendency to play a little less than motivated at times and can get lost for periods of games. The fresh start and infectious enthusiasm of players like Quinn, Long and Donald on the line should go a long way in rejuvenating his desires. When he entered the NFL after wreaking havoc all season for the national champion Auburn Tigers including a dominating performance in the National Championship Game
I was certain I was watching the best DT I had seen since Suh and Kong Suh was special. I still believe Fairley was one of the top 5 coming out of the collegiate ranks in a decade.
Now how do we get these 5 on the field? could we play a reverse Eagle (The Falcon) with Brockers at nose? how would anyone match up to that?
I know huge risks and not a reality........hmmmm or is it? Ayers and Ogletree behind the big 5. sounds fun at least for an off season post to ponder.
Running the old "52" defense will be done at times, IMHO. old Fritz would be proud!

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Could be. It is unusual for a team to let one of the best pass rusher in the game leave though. I'm just wondering how he's going to fit. If Ogletree gets off to his slow starts again maybe we will see Ayers and Barron at the same time.
Ayers will see the field more than a little bit. 2 years, 6 million dollars isn't the kind of contract you give to an olb who won't see the field that much. There are some Pats fans who are pretty upset that they allowed him to sign with another team. Btw, he filled in for one of their starting linebackers (I forget which one), so I'm pretty sure they didn't want to pay that kind of money to a backup olb.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

He plays the same role as Chandler Jones, that's why they let him leave. Jones was healthy.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
The D-line will be down right nasty provided the dB's cover long enough everybody knows that.So that's where our Linebacker's have to step up and if they do top 3-5 defense IMO.

Athos

Legend
In the following spring, Fairley had a corrective procedure to correct sleep apnea and changed his diet.

Sleep apnea is no fucking joke and probably played a part in his diet and lethargy.

For all their talent up front, the Rams' linebackers are mediocre at best. Their secondary is decent but lacks a real difference-maker. All told, the Rams finished 16th in scoring defense last season—right in the middle of the pack.

Our LBs used to be greatly mediocre. I'd say that simply isn't true anymore. JLL55 is average at worst and a bit above average at best when he's playing well. Tree showed massive improvement the 2nd half. Barron is basically going to end up being a LB/SS hybrid.

One note, I mark the 2nd Whiners game as the turn around point of last season. Over those last 9 games, the D was giving up 13.22 pts per game. That's insane. Especially when you factor in that 37 pt disaster in NY. Take that out, and we were giving up a paltry 10.25 pts per game.

If GW gets everyone sorted at the START of the season this time and we don't lose an integral D part again, we're going to curb stomp some offenses.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ayers will see the field more than a little bit. 2 years, 6 million dollars isn't the kind of contract you give to an olb who won't see the field that much. There are some Pats fans who are pretty upset that they allowed him to sign with another team. Btw, he filled in for one of their starting linebackers (I forget which one), so I'm pretty sure they didn't want to pay that kind of money to a backup olb.

http://patspub.patsfans.com/2015/02/07/patriots-2015-free-agent-profile-akeem-ayers/?sc=rss

Patriots 2015 Free Agent Profile – Akeem Ayers
Written By: Steve Balestrieri

The Patriots picked up Akeem Ayers in October trading the Tennessee Titans, their 2015 NFL Draft 6th round pick and getting the Titans 7th rounder and Ayers in return. The Pats needed help at both defensive end and linebacker after Chandler Jones went down with an injury against the Jets.

With depth a concern at both positions at the time of Jones’ injury, and the team risking little in terms of compensation towards Tennessee, it was a no-brainer to trade for Ayers. And Belichick the GM hit this one out of the park, Ayers was a valuable contributor to the Patriots defense and gave them a versatile, motivated player down the stretch run to the Super Bowl.

Ayers was originally a 2nd round pick, 39th overall for Tennessee in the 2011 NFL Draft coming from UCLA. A starter in 44 of his first 48 games as a pro, Ayers notched nine sacks for the Titans. But injuries to both knee patella tendons slowed him in 2014 and with a new defense in place, Ayers found himself to be the odd man out. He played in only two of the Titans first seven games and the trade was a breath of fresh air for the 6’3, 255 hybrid DE/OLB.

Ayers not only played immediately with New England but logged nearly 80 percent of the defensive snaps until Jones returned in December against Miami. And he was productive, playing mainly on the edge as a defensive end, logging 20 tackles, 6 tackles for loss (TFL), 4 quarterback sacks, 5 quarterback hits, 1 pass defensed and 1 interception.

“He played outside linebacker in college and at Tennessee, and he played defensive end in sub situations, which is pretty common for a lot of guys like him, Bill Belichick said. “I think he’s what we thought he would be,” Belichick said. “When you work with somebody, you obviously get to know them a lot better.”

Obviously, the NFL didn’t think much of Ayers’ accomplishments during the season. At the NFL Media Day prior to the Super Bowl, Ayers’ press credentials had him listed as “Akim” rather than Akeem. But Ayers focused on looking forward rather than backward, stating to the media that he felt blessed to have been traded to New England.

“When I got traded, it motivated me. I just wanted to get my opportunity and show what I could do; it’s not like I couldn’t play anymore. I knew I could still play.”

While his snaps were limited down the stretch and into the playoffs once Jones returned, Ayers remained an important piece of the puzzle. He logged 12 snaps at linebacker during the Super Bowl. He registered one QB hit and assisted Dont’a Hightower on the tackle of Marshawn Lynch on the one yard line, one play before Malcolm Butler intercepted the pass to seal the Super Bowl win.

The Patriots’s trade of draft picks with Tennessee is essentially a wash; the Patriots will pick last in the 6th round and the Titans will select 2nd in the 7th round. So coupled with the production the team got from Ayers, it was a win-win for both the player and the team.

Why Ayers Will Return: Ayers is expected to generate some interest in the free agent market, but the Patriots may make an effort to keep him under the Flying Elvis with a new contract.

He was productive and versatile, logging 4 sacks in his first five games as a member of the team, and with the pass rush of the Patriots being somewhat inconsistent; he was an important piece of the puzzle during the crucible of the season. With a big six game stretch of quality opponents, Ayers showed up big exactly when the team needed him.

His ability to play both defensive end and linebacker is a valuable feather in his cap. Belichick likes his players versatile and smart and coming in against the Bears with very little practice time, he logged more than 50 snaps in his first game.

Those are the kind of things that stick with coaches and the team still needs depth at both positions. After Jones and Ninkovich, the team has raw, rookie project Zach Moore, along with 2nd year player Michael Buchanan who played a bit in his rookie season and was injured early on during 2014. Jake Bequette, the 3rd year DE from Arkansas was on the practice squad.

If the Patriots choose to utilize Ayers at linebacker, again he’d be a valuable addition to their depth. After starters Hightower and Jamie Collins, Jerod Mayo has missed considerable time the past two years due to injuries and the experience factor falls off quickly after that. Ayers could work himself into a starting role there.

Why Ayers Won’t Return: Money. Ayers is expected to draw considerable interest in the free agent market and the Patriots may not be able to compete with other teams bidding for Ayers’ services once the free agency market hits.

Ayers went from forgotten man to playing in many high-profile games during the second half of the season. And he didn’t hurt himself by his performance either. He was productive in getting after the passer and in a league dominated by passing; an edge rusher that can disrupt the timing of a quarterback is always highly sought after.

Perhaps the team viewed Ayers as only a stop-gap measure for Jones while he was out with an injury. Once Jones returned to the lineup, Ayers playing time plummeted and he rarely saw the field as a defensive end where he was most effective, but as a linebacker.

And while it may mean nothing, it is possible his knee woes returned late in the season. Ayers showed up on the injury report at the end of Super Bowl week as limited with a knee injury. It will definitely be something to monitor moving forward.

While we all would love to see Ayers back in a Patriots uniform during the 2015 season, I think he’ll get a nice offer elsewhere where he’ll be penciled in as a starter rather than have to play in a limited role as a sub-package edge rusher for the Pats.

Chances are better than 50/50 he’s gone in free agency this spring.
-------------
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...requesting-your-input-on-akeem-ayers.1115545/

Would like the best reasons
for why the Pats will re-sign Akeem Ayers
for why the Pats will not resign him
--------
why they wont:
Other teams will offer more money
He will want more playing time

Why they will:
Joined the team and made an instant impact.
Only got part time playing hours, but had full time stats, numerous sacks, etc.
Seems like a perfect fit for this defense
-------
Why the Patriots won't re-sign Akeem Ayers.
-disagreement about the numbers(years/money).

Why the Patriots will re-sign Akeem Ayers
-perfect scheme fit.
-still has lots of tread on the tires if he remains healthy.
-high round draft pick that has shown flashes of very good play under sub-standard coaching staffs. Leaving the potential he turns into very good contributer.
-the contract is cheap because some teams may still be scared about his knees and overall health. So he may be willing to take slightly less than market to stay on a winning franchise.
--------
We need a good rotation of pass rushers so Ninkovich and Chandler Jones don't get burned out.

Belichick doesn't agree though and plays them hard all year. Therefore Ayers playing time dropped off when Jones returned from injury.

We also need depth as we have NOTHING behind those 2 DE's. But…. Ayers will get better money elsewhere.
--------
Ayers was the 3rd DE. He was a pass-rusher, and occasionally a LB in pass-rushing role. He did very well when called upon. He starter for much of the year in place of Chandler Jones.

WHY SHOULD RE-SIGN AYERS
1) We need a backup DE who can be quality starter when needed. Jones has had injuries, and it really isn't reasonable to continue to expect Ninkovich to play a higher percentage of defensive reps than any player in the NFL. Our other backup DE's are Moore and Easley.
2) The hole in the defense would be significant and we would again be risking being in a tough situation if there were an injury to Ninkovich or Jones.

ANALYSIS
The issue is money. How much is a backup DE worth to the patriots. Personally, I would rather have Ayers on the 2015 team than Mayo. Of course, the issue that some team will want Ayers a starter. I'd pay him $4M a year and not look back.
-------
Why they won't re-sign him: Ayers, who was saved from Tenn. and got a golden opportunity to showcase himself on a SB bound team, took advantage of it at just the right time as his rookie contract expired. Knowing this is more than likely will be his only real chance to cash in on a long term deal and a Patriot club with much bigger fish to fry (Revis, McCourty, Gostowski and trying to restructure and/or extend many others) and some fair depth on the edges, I beleive he'll thank NE and move on with class.

Who will blame him (provided he doesn't end up in Green-and-White)? Hope it works out well for you Akeem and don't burn this bridge. If a guy like Bill likes you, you could still get re-hired should the situation arise (see:L. Blount).Happy trails kid!
---------
I seem to think that ayers inability to hold the edge or excel against the run makes him a one trick pony, and while the one trick may be pass rushing, unfortunately bb wants more.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Do people expect every hole to be fooled in March? Let's see where we are in August, then we can talk