Nick Fairley promises “great things” in the Rams’ defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ey-promises-great-things-in-the-rams-defense/
New Rams defensive tackle Nick Fairley says he’s a perfect fit in the kind of defense they play in St. Louis.

“Looking very, very forward to it because, like I said, it’s going to be great things,” Fairley told AL.com. “Because of the type of system that they have and the type of player I am, it’s going to be great.”

A first-round pick of the Lions in 2011, Fairley has played his entire NFL career in Detroit and has been up and down, making great plays at times but failing to perform consistently. Weight was often a concern for Fairley in Detroit, but in St. Louis he’s been dieting so hard that the Rams are concerned he’s getting too thin. Fairley said that shouldn’t be a concern, as losing weight has made him faster than ever.

“Really, it takes hard work and dedication,” he said, “and if you put your mind to it, you can do whatever you want to.”

If Fairley plays up to his talent on a defensive line that also features Robert Quinn,Chris Long, Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers, the Rams’ defense really can do great things.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I saw Fairley dominate the NCG vs Oregon....If we can get this player, all 17 weeks, watch the playoff run we're going on...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I've been a pessimist with the offense lately. But this defense has a chance to be elite. I see no reason why they couldn't be the best defense in the league.

They not only have the most talented line in the league, they also have the deepest. It'll be hard to wear them down.

I believe guys like Mcdonald and Barron can set the tone with their hard hitting style. Jenkins and Gaines are capable of being shut down corners. Johnson too. Ayers and Ogletree are very talented linebackers. JL might be the smartest MLB in the league.

On top of all that, Greg Williams is one of best DC's in the league. Like I said, the defense could be an elite unit. Maybe even a once in a decade defense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've been a pessimist with the offense lately. But this defense has a chance to be elite. I see no reason why they couldn't be the best defense in the league.

They not only have the most talented line in the league, they also have the deepest. It'll be hard to wear them down.

I believe guys like Mcdonald and Barron can set the tone with their hard hitting style. Jenkins and Gaines are capable of being shut down corners. Johnson too. Ayers and Ogletree are very talented linebackers. JL might be the smartest MLB in the league.

On top of all that, Greg Williams is one of best DC's in the league. Like I said, the defense could be an elite unit. Maybe even a once in a decade defense.
I've said it before,I'll say it again, " I can't wait until week #1 to see these guy's Roll!!:snicker::seizure::banana:

RamBill

Legend
Nick Fairley looking forward to first season with St. Louis Rams
By Mark Inabinett

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/06/nick_fairley_looking_forward_t.html

The host wore different colors for the third annual Nick Fairley Football and Cheerleading Camp than he had for the first two. In 2013 and 2014, Fairley sported the Honolulu blue and silver of the Detroit Lions. But on Saturday, the former Auburn standout wore the blue and gold of the St. Louis Rams as he joined more than 200 youngsters for drills on the Williamson High School practice field.

After spending his first four NFL seasons with the Lions, the defensive tackle signed a free-agent contract with the Rams in March.

"I feel good being part of their defense," the former Williamson standout said. "Just the style that they play – attack. It fits my skills, especially the D-line that they have is going to be amazing this year."

The Rams had a stout defensive line even before adding Fairley, with Chris Long and Robert Quinn at the ends and Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers at the tackles.

St. Louis hasn't had a winning record since 2003, but Fairley sees the Rams as a team on the rise. In addition to signing Fairley during the offseason, the Rams traded for quarterback Nick Foles, signed Akeem Ayers off the New England Patriots to play strong-side linebacker, drafted running back Todd Gurley to go with former Auburn star Tre Mason at running back and are overhauling their offensive line.

"Looking very, very forward to it because, like I said, it's going to be great things," Fairley said of the 2015 NFL campaign. "Because of the type of system that they have and the type of player I am, it's going to be great."

A knee injury cut Fairley's 2014 season in half. But after spraining the medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments in his right knee during a game against the Atlanta Falcons on Oct. 26 in London, he's moving at full speed again.

Fairley faced an unusual circumstance for a defensive lineman during the Rams' offseason program. St. Louis coaches wanted him to gain weight. Fairley's weight had been a sore spot for the Lions – the general manager thought there was too much of it – but by changing his eating habits with the help of a personal chef and working hard on his conditioning, Fairley had dropped his weight to 280 pounds by the time he signed with the Rams.

"I think it kind of bettered my game, being able to get that weight off and use my quickness," Fairley said. "That's the type of player I am. I'm able to get off the ball real fast. Up in Detroit, when I was able to shed the weight, that's what kind of player I was."

Fairley said there's no secret to weight loss and conditioning.

"Really, it takes hard work and dedication," he said, "and if you put your mind to it, you can do whatever you want to."

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I have high hopes but can Mr Fairly stop the run at 280lbs? I like the attitude but these eggs gotta hatch before we can add um up.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Eugene Simms is a special player as well.Hayes is such a great vet ,&!if he only comes in on certain situations lookout.
--Aaron Donald really helped Robert Quinn last season playing together on the right side.
--JL #55 is underrated at MLB wearing the green tag.The Rams have so many sets & the depth now is insane all the way threw.Just hearing Greg Williams talk about Mo Alexander,Barron,&TJ playing in 3 S sets like last year at times.Players are competing for playing Time.
--He said when Farley got into the film room & was all excited about the defensive style.He looked around at the talent & knew he had to put in the hard work,or he was not going to get as much playing time.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm hating all this "talk" in the offseason. I want results. We've heard all this #sackcity stuff before and it blew up in our faces. We should be trying to fly under the radar so teams don't all gameplan against us and take away our key strength - the pass rush by dumping the ball off under 2 seconds every snap.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RaminExile... Totally agree that teams will game plan against our D-line (again) with two and three-step drops, however it's up to Fisher and Williams to line up the DB's in press coverage to take that plan away. How many times did we see our DB's playing 8-9 yards off the line of scrimmage last year?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I'm hating all this "talk" in the offseason. I want results. We've heard all this #sackcity stuff before and it blew up in our faces. We should be trying to fly under the radar so teams don't all gameplan against us and take away our key strength - the pass rush by dumping the ball off under 2 seconds every snap.

I can just picture it now...

Darrell Bevell: Pete shouldn't we be planning on how to best combat the Rams pass rush?
Pete Carroll: Nah, we're good.
Darrell Bevell: But Pete I found this off-season article with Nick Fairly promising "Great Things".
Pete Carroll: Oh shit, why didn't you say sooner, it's 5 minutes until kick off damn it, and I gave the players the week off training.

tempests

Hall of Fame
We've heard all this #sackcity stuff before and it blew up in our faces.

Six sacks against Oakland, seven against Washington, eight against SF; once these players got comfortable with the scheme the Rams pass rush was as good as advertised.

We should be trying to fly under the radar

We've got the PFWA defensive player of the year from 2013; the AP defensive rookie of the year from 2014; and three other first round picks. That's not going to happen.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Six sacks against Oakland, seven against Washington, eight against SF; once these players got comfortable with the scheme the Rams pass rush was as good as advertised.

We've got the PFWA defensive player of the year from 2013; the AP defensive rookie of the year from 2014; and three other first round picks. That's not going to happen.

Yeah I get that we picked it up after about half way last year - but we've got to start fast. And its no good talking about starting fast. They have to do it. Just let your play talk.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I love the confidence and all of us realize this defense should be in the upper echelon of the NFL, however, being a Ram fan I will remain cautiously optimistic.

The Rams have to understand not to get caught reading their press clippings or tweets in today's social media. This defense needs to focus on being consistent bringing it each game week in and week out. They're young, but the Rams secondary needs to focus on not giving up the big plays.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I have high hopes but can Mr Fairly stop the run at 280lbs? I like the attitude but these eggs gotta hatch before we can add um up.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight thing. I don't think he'll be that weight come game time. I'm sure the coaching staff let him know where they want him to be.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No where in that article does Nick Fairely promise anything. It read to me as he's really just saying it's going to be a great season.

Why the hell does PFT try to embellish everything they can? They literally made shit up here.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
The Rams have to understand not to get caught reading their press clippings or tweets in today's social media.

Funny how that works, thing is "reading their press clippings" has been an age old problem in just about any sport.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Until the secondary can be more consistent I won't hold my breath for a top defense.

Color me pessimistic.

Our d-linemen will show up though, and before week 6 this year too.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Our defense isn't going to fly under the radar.
The word was out last year. Teams know this defense is scary good.
Our second half defense was light years ahead of our first 6 - 8 weeks. These guys know how to run it now.
BTW. Back to back shutouts in the NFL? Not an easy thing to do.
Shutting down P. Manning? Again. Not the norm.