Nice StL PD article from Burwell: Rams draft about Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
My favorite parts are bolded (and so appropriate for the PD)

While he tries not to beat you over the head with it, Jeff Fisher wants you to know how much he loves seeing Sam Bradford in his huddle. A day rarely goes by since taking over as the Rams' coach when Fisher does not understand what sort of young quarterback he has to work with.

He knew it when he looked at old game tapes of Bradford's first two NFL seasons, knew it when they had their first face-to-face meeting, and merely gained confirmation when he watched Bradford flinging darts all around the practice field and barking out plays in the huddle at minicamp last week.

And just in case you didn't know, he tends to drop an unsolicited compliment to the kid every chance he gets, like last week after the first minicamp practice when someone asked the coach a question about teaching the new system to his players.

"Yeah, they got it down," Fisher said. "And by the way, No. 8 looks pretty good in there, too."

It was not a throwaway line. It was a deliberate message.

Unlike some of the incurable idiots on the Internet and other assorted understudies at Short Attention Span Theater, Fisher understands that his third-year quarterback — the No.1 pick in the 2010 NFL draft — simply is the most important piece of the rebuilding puzzle for this franchise.

While football towns such as Indianapolis and Washington are giddy over the prospects of rookie QBs Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III becoming franchise cornerstones when the first round of this year's NFL draft is held on Thursday night, there also is a buzz around Rams Park about the fact that they already have their franchise player in place.

Now all they have to do is spend this draft weekend picking up all the right pieces to build around Bradford.

In 1998, Bill Polian was the new general manager of the Colts when he drafted Peyton Manning with the No.1 pick and then spent the next 14 years carefully doing everything he could to make sure Manning could become the great quarterback the organization was convinced he could be. So who better to listen to than Polian to know what an intelligent draft strategy should look like for a team with a top-gun young QB in the fold? There are few people in football smarter than Polian, and he has the résumé to prove it. He has helped build or was the primary architect of playoff and championship-caliber teams in Carolina, Buffalo and Indy and now in semiretirement is an analyst for ESPN.

Last week Polian laid out the blueprint he used in Indy to build around Manning and I think it's one Fisher and general manager Les Snead will follow this weekend with their first NFL draft at Rams Park.

"You have to try and give (a young franchise quarterback) an offense that is capable of A.) protecting him and B.) taking some of the load off him," Pollian said. "If you look at Peyton's career, every rookie quarterback struggles and quarterbacks are not comfortable until after about their fourth year. In their first year, they're simply flummoxed by the speed of the game and the complexity of it. They just barely survive. After an offseason they begin to learn what the game is all about. In the second year, they learn what the defense is trying to do to them. In the third year, they learn what they can do to the defense. In the fourth year, they're now capable of how to control an offense (and how) to manipulate a defense. That's the progression.

"It doesn't matter if it's Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or someone else, they all go through that progression.

"Now the one real detriment to that progression is if you can't protect him and that carries with it two factors: he has to have someone to catch the ball and he has to have people to block, and it would certainly help if he has a running game," Pollian said. "So the priority has to be putting people around him so that he can function and stay healthy."

Last year, the Rams did not keep Bradford healthy. He's been sacked 70 times in two seasons and was battered and bruised nearly all of last year, missing six games due to a high ankle sprain that didn't fully heal until March 1. The reason he was beaten up so badly?

See the previous paragraph about having someone to catch the ball and people to keep the quarterback off his back.

Upgrades at receiver and reconstructing parts of the offensive line are major offseason priorities, and with good reason. As Polian points out, ruining a young quarterback because of injuries is a fear of every GM and coach in the NFL.

"Every one of us in this business who does it or did it for a living is haunted by the specter of Jim Plunkett," said Polian. "(He) had nothing around him in his early years and ended up being injured and didn't end up reaching his potential until much later in his career because of it. You don't want that to occur. What that means is that you have to make a priority to put those kind of people around him."

The fun for the Rams only starts on Thursday night with the likelihood that Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon will be the first piece of that offensive puzzle. On Friday, that's when it really starts to get interesting with those two very valuable second-round picks (Nos. 33 and 39 overall) plus the second pick in the third round. The Rams will have three of the first 31 picks on Day 2, and that's when you'll really begin to understand how committed Fisher and Snead are to following the old Colts blueprint.

After Blackmon, will they go with another receiver, a tight end, or begin collecting a few big bodies who can serve as additional protection for Bradford (like, say, Wisconsin 6-3, 322-pound mauler Kevin Zeitler at guard)?

And when faced with the prospect of picking someone who might strengthen your defense rather than continuing to collect even more offensive players?

Pollian's answer was provided without hesitation. Go with the offense every time.

"If you have a young quarterback and you want him to develop," he said, "that's what you have to do."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... z1sl993hyW

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Nice StL PD article from Burwell: Rams draft about Bradf

"incurable idiots on the internet."

I wish he and Bernie would just say it already. It's only on that forum (for the most part). I guess the reason they can't say it is because if they came right out and said "The St Louis Post Dispatch Rams Forum", it would reflect poorly on their employers.

Anonymous

brokeu91 said:
My favorite parts are bolded (and so appropriate for the PD)

While he tries not to beat you over the head with it, Jeff Fisher wants you to know how much he loves seeing Sam Bradford in his huddle. A day rarely goes by since taking over as the Rams' coach when Fisher does not understand what sort of young quarterback he has to work with.

He knew it when he looked at old game tapes of Bradford's first two NFL seasons, knew it when they had their first face-to-face meeting, and merely gained confirmation when he watched Bradford flinging darts all around the practice field and barking out plays in the huddle at minicamp last week.

And just in case you didn't know, he tends to drop an unsolicited compliment to the kid every chance he gets, like last week after the first minicamp practice when someone asked the coach a question about teaching the new system to his players.

"Yeah, they got it down," Fisher said. "And by the way, No. 8 looks pretty good in there, too."

It was not a throwaway line. It was a deliberate message.

Unlike some of the incurable idiots on the Internet and other assorted understudies at Short Attention Span Theater, Fisher understands that his third-year quarterback — the No.1 pick in the 2010 NFL draft — simply is the most important piece of the rebuilding puzzle for this franchise.

While football towns such as Indianapolis and Washington are giddy over the prospects of rookie QBs Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III becoming franchise cornerstones when the first round of this year's NFL draft is held on Thursday night, there also is a buzz around Rams Park about the fact that they already have their franchise player in place.

Now all they have to do is spend this draft weekend picking up all the right pieces to build around Bradford.

In 1998, Bill Polian was the new general manager of the Colts when he drafted Peyton Manning with the No.1 pick and then spent the next 14 years carefully doing everything he could to make sure Manning could become the great quarterback the organization was convinced he could be. So who better to listen to than Polian to know what an intelligent draft strategy should look like for a team with a top-gun young QB in the fold? There are few people in football smarter than Polian, and he has the résumé to prove it. He has helped build or was the primary architect of playoff and championship-caliber teams in Carolina, Buffalo and Indy and now in semiretirement is an analyst for ESPN.

Last week Polian laid out the blueprint he used in Indy to build around Manning and I think it's one Fisher and general manager Les Snead will follow this weekend with their first NFL draft at Rams Park.

"You have to try and give (a young franchise quarterback) an offense that is capable of A.) protecting him and B.) taking some of the load off him," Pollian said. "If you look at Peyton's career, every rookie quarterback struggles and quarterbacks are not comfortable until after about their fourth year. In their first year, they're simply flummoxed by the speed of the game and the complexity of it. They just barely survive. After an offseason they begin to learn what the game is all about. In the second year, they learn what the defense is trying to do to them. In the third year, they learn what they can do to the defense. In the fourth year, they're now capable of how to control an offense (and how) to manipulate a defense. That's the progression.

"It doesn't matter if it's Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or someone else, they all go through that progression.

"Now the one real detriment to that progression is if you can't protect him and that carries with it two factors: he has to have someone to catch the ball and he has to have people to block, and it would certainly help if he has a running game," Pollian said. "So the priority has to be putting people around him so that he can function and stay healthy."

Last year, the Rams did not keep Bradford healthy. He's been sacked 70 times in two seasons and was battered and bruised nearly all of last year, missing six games due to a high ankle sprain that didn't fully heal until March 1. The reason he was beaten up so badly?

See the previous paragraph about having someone to catch the ball and people to keep the quarterback off his back.

Upgrades at receiver and reconstructing parts of the offensive line are major offseason priorities, and with good reason. As Polian points out, ruining a young quarterback because of injuries is a fear of every GM and coach in the NFL.

"Every one of us in this business who does it or did it for a living is haunted by the specter of Jim Plunkett," said Polian. "(He) had nothing around him in his early years and ended up being injured and didn't end up reaching his potential until much later in his career because of it. You don't want that to occur. What that means is that you have to make a priority to put those kind of people around him."

The fun for the Rams only starts on Thursday night with the likelihood that Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon will be the first piece of that offensive puzzle. On Friday, that's when it really starts to get interesting with those two very valuable second-round picks (Nos. 33 and 39 overall) plus the second pick in the third round. The Rams will have three of the first 31 picks on Day 2, and that's when you'll really begin to understand how committed Fisher and Snead are to following the old Colts blueprint.

After Blackmon, will they go with another receiver, a tight end, or begin collecting a few big bodies who can serve as additional protection for Bradford (like, say, Wisconsin 6-3, 322-pound mauler Kevin Zeitler at guard)?

And when faced with the prospect of picking someone who might strengthen your defense rather than continuing to collect even more offensive players?

Pollian's answer was provided without hesitation. Go with the offense every time.

"If you have a young quarterback and you want him to develop," he said, "that's what you have to do."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... z1sl993hyW

This is Fisher's campaign to build Bradford's confidence.

Harbaugh did it last year with Alex Smith.

The difference is, Smith was unconfident longer.

Clearly JF saw last year what happened to SB--mostly, the body language of the frustrated qb.

Bradford directly acknowledged all this in his press conference and said it's nice to know your coach has confidence in you.

I am assuming Fisher is right but if he's not, he will move on from Bradford like a doctor dumping the wife who put him through med school for a younger girlfriend.

Speeps

Starter

Good read. Make no mistake about it, Fisher is right about Bradford. Fisher has been right on just about every QB he's ever coached. Yes, that includes Vince Young. Remember Fisher didn't want him.

In Fisher we shall trust...until he gives us a reason to do otherwise.

Anonymous

Speeps said:
Good read. Make no mistake about it, Fisher is right about Bradford. Fisher has been right on just about every QB he's ever coached. Yes, that includes Vince Young. Remember Fisher didn't want him.

He was right about Kerry Collins?

How many qbs has he coached?

I like Bradford. But...Fisher is just doing ordinary confidence pumping.

Bradford has the stuff and can evolve. He may be a relatively slower developing guy like Eli whose absolute pinnacle is a couple of years away, but my bet is he develops and validates our faith in him.

But right now, Fisher is pumping the confidence of a good young qb. There's no predictive truth to it either way. It's coach talk.

Coach talk about a good prospect. But still.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Is it that hard to believe that Jeff Fisher just maybe thinks that Sam Bradford is a good young QB who has a lot of potential, and is sincere with what he says without having other motivations behind his words?

Speeps

Starter

zn said:
Speeps said:

He was right about Kerry Collins?

How many qbs has he coached?

I like Bradford. But...Fisher is just doing ordinary confidence pumping.

Bradford has the stuff and can evolve. He may be a relatively slower developing guy like Eli whose absolute pinnacle is a couple of years away, but my bet is he develops and validates our faith in him.

But right now, Fisher is pumping the confidence of a good young qb. There's no predictive truth to it either way. It's coach talk.

Coach talk about a good prospect. But still.
Kerry Collins is an interesting case. He was almost never healthy, but he did have a couple decent seasons under Fisher. But I see the point.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

bluecoconuts said:
Is it that hard to believe that Jeff Fisher just maybe thinks that Sam Bradford is a good young QB who has a lot of potential, and is sincere with what he says without having other motivations behind his words?
No. It's not. And I don't buy the idea that he's just trying to pump up his QB. Was he trying to do that before he was in contact with him and accepted the job on the premise that Bradford was already the QB? I don't like to get into motives assigning, so I'm not gonna do that. We're a bunch of keyboard jockeys. Fisher's been in the National Football League for decades. I'll take what he says at face value on that fact alone.

steferfootball

Starter

X said:
bluecoconuts said:
No. It's not. And I don't buy the idea that he's just trying to pump up his QB. Was he trying to do that before he was in contact with him and accepted the job on the premise that Bradford was already the QB? I don't like to get into motives assigning, so I'm not gonna do that. We're a bunch of keyboard jockeys. Fisher's been in the National Football League for decades. I'll take what he says at face value on that fact alone.
It also doesn't make sense that he would say that Bradford is the best quarterback I'm the leauge ( or top ten or what have you.) That is just foolish overhyping if he is pumping his an up.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

steferfootball said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
It also doesn't make sense that he would say that Bradford is the best quarterback I'm the leauge ( or top ten or what have you.) That is just foolish overhyping if he is pumping his an up.

That's not what he said, though. Fisher said that he talked to people around the league and they think that Bradford has the potential to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He also said that he agrees with them. In my opinion, that's not coach speak. Besides, I'd very much prefer to take Fisher's word at face value; he's been in the league long enough to gain everyone's respect.

steferfootball

Starter

Memento said:
steferfootball said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

That's not what he said, though. Fisher said that he talked to people around the league and they think that Bradford has the potential to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He also said that he agrees with them. In my opinion, that's not coach speak. Besides, I'd very much prefer to take Fisher's word at face value; he's been in the league long enough to gain everyone's respect.
I recall the quote going something like "and I had one of them tell me during the process that they thought Sam may be one of the better quarterbacks—or the best quarterback—in the league … he just hasn’t had a chance to prove it yet...”

I think it is a foolish thing to say if you are just pumping your quarterback. It is needless hype. Heck, it is needless hype if you arn't pumping your quarterback up.

Anonymous

X said:
bluecoconuts said:

He says he was impressed by Bradford before he took the job (he scouted him) and heard good things around the league.

Okay.

The recent language is informed by that basic perception but it's more.

Building confidence is not the same as "pumping someone up." It's building confidence. It seems to me that it's clear Bradford's confidence took a hit last year--you could see it. It didn't shatter him by any means but it was there.

Building a player's confidence is perfectly legit. BUT given that he is doing that, we have no idea what percentage of what he says is purely sincere and what percentage is strategic. Nor, IMO, should we care. Building confidence is an important part of coaching and Fisher is very good at it. So was Vermeil. In fact, with guys like Dana Hall with the Chiefs, Vermeil would openly say that's what he was doing.

That does not mean, obviously, that what he is giving us is the pure objective truth about Bradford as a future qb. How could he. Why would he.

Confidence is a mindset, and the more of it you have, the better you perform. Fisher is a master at developing it.

But of course it's equally true that you just can't bloody fabricate stuff cause players see through it.

Does Bradford have a lot of potential? Yes. How much? No one knows his ceiling, not even Fisher. Is he elite? Well he isn't yet and who knows if he will reach that level. Does he have to? No. He only needs to be anywhere from consistently solid/good to very good. What WILL he be? I dunno, ask again after a few years. It is clear, however, that anyone just dismissing Bradford right now is missing a lot of things in his make-up and skill set.

Speeps

Starter

steferfootball said:
Memento said:
steferfootball said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

I recall the quote going something like "and I had one of them tell me during the process that they thought Sam may be one of the better quarterbacks—or the best quarterback—in the league … he just hasn’t had a chance to prove it yet...”

I think it is a foolish thing to say if you are just pumping your quarterback. It is needless hype. Heck, it is needless hype if you arn't pumping your quarterback up.
Whats the problem with a coach being confident in his QB's future? Fisher won't be the first, and certainly won't the last to do this. Hell coaches pump the abilities of their backups...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

zn said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
He says he was impressed by Bradford before he took the job (he scouted him) and heard good things around the league.

Okay.

The recent language is informed by that basic perception but it's more.

Building confidence is not the same as "pumping someone up." It's building confidence. It seems to me that it's clear Bradford's confidence took a hit last year--you could see it. It didn't shatter him by any means but it was there.

Building a player's confidence is perfectly legit. BUT given that he is doing that, we have no idea what percentage of what he says is purely sincere and what percentage is strategic. Nor, IMO, should we care. Building confidence is an important part of coaching and Fisher is very good at it. So was Vermeil. In fact, with guys like Dana Hall with the Chiefs, Vermeil would openly say that's what he was doing.

That does not mean, obviously, that what he is giving us is the pure objective truth about Bradford as a future qb. How could he. Why would he.

Confidence is a mindset, and the more of it you have, the better you perform. Fisher is a master at developing it.

But of course it's equally true that you just can't bloody fabricate stuff cause players see through it.

Does Bradford have a lot of potential? Yes. How much? No one knows his ceiling, not even Fisher. Is he elite? Well he isn't yet and who knows if he will reach that level. Does he have to? No. He only needs to be anywhere from consistently solid/good to very good. What WILL he be? I dunno, ask again after a few years. It is clear, however, that anyone just dismissing Bradford right now is missing a lot of things in his make-up and skill set.
Sure. I agree with much of that. Truthfully, none of us know what his motives are. If he's saying things so that they make their way back to Bradford, then great. If he's saying things because he truly believes them, then great. Like in his last presser, he threw in the statement, "8 looks good out there too", even though nobody asked about him. I don't care why he's doing it either. If he's comfortable with Bradford, then we're good for now. He has his own opinions, and he relies on the opinions of others who have echoed his own opinion. So...... great.

Now shaddap and get him some weapons. :twisted:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
zn said:
I am assuming Fisher is right but if he's not, he will move on from Bradford like a doctor dumping the wife who put him through med school for a younger girlfriend.
No kidding... this happened to a female cousin of mine.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
I think Fisher is being genuine here, but I also understand that be successful in the HC role for as long as he has, one must be a good 'politician'.

Wonderboy

Rookie

X said:
"incurable idiots on the internet."

I wish he and Bernie would just say it already. It's only on that forum (for the most part). I guess the reason they can't say it is because if they came right out and said "The St Louis Post Dispatch Rams Forum", it would reflect poorly on their employers.

X, I think that IS basically what he was saying... if you take it on the basis that he said it in a Post Dipatch article. It goes without saying... but Burwell verified it by going ahead and saying it.

Anonymous

X said:

Best I could do.........

images
images

images
images

AIR_F-18_Weapons_Array_lg.jpg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

zn said:
X said:

Best I could do.........

images
images

images
images

AIR_F-18_Weapons_Array_lg.jpg

Where's his submarine? How can Bradford possibly win without the help of an old-fashioned submarine?

:razzed:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re:

interference said:
zn said:
No kidding... this happened to a female cousin of mine.
Hey I'm a doctor and most of us don't do that.

I agree with Zn to some degree. It is likely in part to help build confidence. But I remember when Fisher said something about Bradford having the ability to be the best NFL QB. When Bradford was questioned about it, he was surprised; he had not heard it.

It might be that Fisher is saying these things because he really does feel that Bradford has the ability to be special and is looking good out there. He is also probably saying it to build confidence in Bradford (and quiet critics). Let's face it, even if we new Fisher was 100% sincere in his faith in Bradford, that still doesn't mean he has to tell everyone about it either. So in the end I think it's a bit of both.