NHL Playoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
They went back k to what works best for them. Get out of their zone fast with long passes or quick turnovers and come in hard and fast and shoot for rebounds. Hagelin is not %100. He was one of the main speedsters in that formula. Letang had disk surgery and is out. He was the other. Their game has not been the same without that element. It's great to see others step up in that role.

It's also good to see Hornquist back. He is a big part of the offense. He has a knack for hanging on the doorstep and creating interference. He is a smart player and demands attention from the opponent.

Absolutely right, Hagelin is not 100% even when he played some against Ottawa. He was skating OK but seemed not able to handle the puck with his normal ability, at least to me.

I think that we have to give a huge amount of credit to Sullivan. The guy has to change his lineup almost every night and then adjust in-game with line combinations. Could win a second Cup in 2 years.

#71 is a boss. Period.
Conn Smythe ^^^

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Absolutely right, Hagelin is not 100% even when he played some against Ottawa. He was skating OK but seemed not able to handle the puck with his normal ability, at least to me.

I think that we have to give a huge amount of credit to Sullivan. The guy has to change his lineup almost every night and then adjust in-game with line combinations. Could win a second Cup in 2 years.

#71 is a boss. Period.
Conn Smythe ^^^

I don't recall ever seeing an NHL coach change strategy during a game or between playoff games, as effectively as Sullivan. What an asset. I don't remember which player it is but one of the Pens said that Sullivan is the most intelligent coach he has ever played for.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
ade that shot? I have seen that shot missed so many times. I live in PA. As a youngster I was a Bruins fan but I was not a serious hockey lover. It faded thru high school. Then one of my college roommates 're introduced me to hockey and at the time Mario was , and still is, the greatest hockey player of all time. Watching him play was amazing. I was instantly hooked. I have never seen a guy, before or after, take

The shot made me a life long hockey fan. The Oklahoma City Blazers were in the Central Hockey League and frequently sold out....a big following in OKC. 9,000 fans the night I made the shot.

October 25th, 1996.

I must have shaken hands with 500 people that night.

Mario Lemieux.....

I have yet to see a player with 66's skills. Truly an amazing player.

I get emotional over my sports heroes, probably shouldn't but it is what it is.

His is a pretty great story.

The night Mario came back after retiring for a few years....wow! I was a mess.

Last edited:

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I don't recall ever seeing an NHL coach change strategy during a game or between playoff games, as effectively as Sullivan. What an asset. I don't remember which player it is but one of the Pens said that Sullivan is the most intelligent coach he has ever played for.

Disco Dan Bylsma did it a little bit, while he was coaching the Pens -- usually when their backs were to the wall. He'd put Crosby and Geno (Malkin) on the same line in an attempt to spark the offense. But next game, the line combos would revert back to the usual suspects.

In this year's second round series with the Caps, I remember the media making a big deal over Barry Trotz tinkering with his lines -- as if they were otherwise etched in stone.

But I agree with you -- I'm stumped to recall another coach who does it as often or as effectively as Mike Sullivan. He just seems to have a knack for reading the pulse of the game, and makes in-game line changes when a particular line seems to be stagnating. And quite often, those changes yield positive results.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Disco Dan Bylsma did it a little bit, while he was coaching the Pens -- usually when their backs were to the wall. He'd put Crosby and Geno (Malkin) on the same line in an attempt to spark the offense. But next game, the line combos would revert back to the usual suspects.

In this year's second round series with the Caps, I remember the media making a big deal over Barry Trotz tinkering with his lines -- as if they were otherwise etched in stone.

But I agree with you -- I'm stumped to recall another coach who does it as often or as effectively as Mike Sullivan. He just seems to have a knack for reading the pulse of the game, and makes in-game line changes when a particular line seems to be stagnating. And quite often, those changes yield positive results.

It's not just the in game line changes. Sullivan changes the scheme during the playoffs from game to game when things are not going well and he also does it between periods. He is very good at seeing what is going on and diagnosing the problem and coming up with a solution. He switched the Pens to a Neutral Zone trap against the Caps after the Caps started winning and it worked great. He does small tweaks all the time that are not so noticeable to the fans. I read about it in the Pittsburgh Gazette and Pens sites.

I liked Bylsma too. He was great at Scranton. I just think Sullivan is a notch above most other coaches.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
It's not just the in game line changes. Sullivan changes the scheme during the playoffs from game to game when things are not going well and he also does it between periods. He is very good at seeing what is going on and diagnosing the problem and coming up with a solution. He switched the Pens to a Neutral Zone trap against the Caps after the Caps started winning and it worked great. He does small tweaks all the time that are not so noticeable to the fans. I read about it in the Pittsburgh Gazette and Pens sites.

Yup -- and he did some more scheming in this current series from Game 1 to Game 2. In Game 1, Nashville had the boards on lockdown, and the Pens kept trying clear the zone up the wall -- Game 2, they focused on exiting the zone through the middle of the ice instead. And on entering the Nashville zones, the Pens have been dumping the puck into the corners -- specifically directed at the "pie slices", where Rinne isn't allowed to play the puck.

I really don't remember his time as HC with the Bruins about a dozen years ago, or why they let him go. But I like Sullivan -- when he came in mid-season upon the release of Mike Johnston, he had a much more commanding presence in contrast to Johnston, who seemed more of a milquetoast (at least by public perception).

I'm locked in on a snip from last year's victory parade, where Sully was at the podium and said to the crowd: "Let's do this again next year"

Last edited:

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The city of Nashville is off the chain heading into game 3. Watching pregame festivities and the city is really embracing the Stanley Cup finals. If the PENS can steal one tonight all I can say is "turn out the lights the party's over"!

It won't come easy for the PENS tonight IMO, the Preds will come out pumped with the fans behind them but like I said if the PENS can play their game and skate off the ice with the "W" that will put a fork in their catfish.

GO PENS

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
The city of Nashville is off the chain heading into game 3. Watching pregame festivities and the city is really embracing the Stanley Cup finals. If the PENS can steal one tonight all I can say is "turn out the lights the party's over"!

It won't come easy for the PENS tonight IMO, the Preds will come out pumped with the fans behind them but like I said if the PENS can play their game and skate off the ice with the "W" that will put a fork in their catfish.

GO PENS

Wow -- what a stinker. Seems like the Pens have had a game like this in each round of the playoffs this year. In previous series' against Ottawa and Washington, they bounced back to win the next game. Here's hoping they respond in a similar fashion in Game 4.

Also hope Bonino can get back on the ice.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Wow -- what a stinker. Seems like the Pens have had a game like this in each round of the playoffs this year.

Also hope Bonino can get back on the ice.

I thought Murray was not himself last night and allowed a few softies. He's got to be better.

But I agree that this was almost predictable, Preds got all jacked up at home and turned in their best performance.

Could be that the Pens are going to be vulnerable to a down performance every so often due to attrition.

I really don't agree with the narrative that the Predators have outplayed the Penguins, only to lose two of three.

it is the way the Pens choose to play. Take shots, for example. Pens turn down a lot of opportunities to just fire rubber at Rinne. No shots for 87 & 71? Not worried about it.
Crosby turns down lots of shots to set up chances.
Guentzel's success is a result of that.

On to Game 4!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GO PENS

I gotta hand it to the city of Nashville. I mean before the game you got Alan Jackson playing a free concert and fans boiling all over the place in preparation for the game. After they win it's a damn block party and let me tell you the district is already off the chain as it is already.

Just really great to see a city polarize like that behind their team. It's special man, and I'm pulling for the Preds to see them get their first Cup because of it.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I gotta hand it to the city of Nashville. I mean before the game you got Alan Jackson playing a free concert and fans boiling all over the place in preparation for the game. After they win it's a damn block party and let me tell you the district is already off the chain as it is already.

Just really great to see a city polarize like that behind their team. It's special man, and I'm pulling for the Preds to see them get their first Cup because of it.

Yep, total credit to Nashville. My wife and I could barely communicate at PPG, but there is no way to be heard at Bridgestone.

Awesome to see.

And come down South and order some fried catfish and hush puppies......good eating!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Bonino practiced on 2nd PP unit this afternoon

Good news

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Bonino practiced on 2nd PP unit this afternoon

Good news
That's definitely encouraging. Dude has been an ironman in the shot-blocking department.

Once he's good to go, what I'd LIKE to see would be Hagelin remain in the lineup (over Rowney) and another go with the HBK line (Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel). Whether or not that actually happens is another matter.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Preds' blueline is absolutely ridiculous. Those guys have depth in spades, puck moving ability to get it out quick and they do a great job of limiting quality shots on Rinne. Who of course looks like he's back in his form of the previous series.

Can't rule out either of these teams in this matchup. And man game 5 is going to be a damn bloodbath.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
The Penguins will come back! They're just too good, too much of a dynasty. The New England Patriots of the NHL, all built through the draft (maybe the Rams will follow suit!)

Sorry, not sorry Nashville fans.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Pens had lots of good opportunities in Game 4 -- Kunitz on the breakaway, Guentzel had a wide-open net (Jake had other opportunities down low, as well), Dumoulin clanged one off the post and Rinne didn't see it coming. That was the main difference in last night's game -- Nashville capitalized on their opportunities; Pittsburgh didn't.

Challenging Nashville's first goal was a waste of a timeout -- that was a good goal. On the subject of goaltending: Matt Murray has some serious work to do on his glove hand. This time last year, he was most vulnerable to shots that were high glove-side -- now, it seems like anything above the leg pad has a good chance of going in.

And for fuck's sake, PLEASE give Ron Hainsey a healthy scratch in favor of Mark Streit. And if you DO find yourself back in the lineup, Hainsey -- STOP SHOOTING!!!

I hope Bonino's back for Game 5.

Last edited:

T-REX

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Needless to say it’s a must win situation for the PENS tonight. They don’t want to go back to Nashville down 3-2 with the cup on the line. The way that city is ramped up it would be crazy to think that even the PENS could pull that off. I haven’t heard if it’s going to be Murray or Fleury tonight, Sullivan wouldn’t answer the question when asked yesterday. I really hope Bonino is on the ice tonight.

GO PENS!

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Needless to say it’s a must win situation for the PENS tonight. They don’t want to go back to Nashville down 3-2 with the cup on the line. The way that city is ramped up it would be crazy to think that even the PENS could pull that off. I haven’t heard if it’s going to be Murray or Fleury tonight, Sullivan wouldn’t answer the question when asked yesterday. I really hope Bonino is on the ice tonight.

GO PENS!

Dude....Game 5 isn't until tomorrow night. I think it's a new thing this year -- 2 full days between games when switching cities.

So Sullivan has a whole other day to mull it over between Murray and Fleury -- whatever he decides, neither move would surprise me.

Other observations:
That also gives Bonino another day to heal up.
Kessel is really forcing it, this series -- and when he shoots angry, he shoots inaccurately. Dude needs to calm down, and just play hockey.
You know who's been invisible this series?!? Bryan Rust -- that's who. And he's been in at least 3 different line combos so far.
IF Bonino is back in the lineup, maybe time to dust off the HBK line again?!?

GO PENS!!!

Last edited:

T-REX

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude....Game 5 isn't until tomorrow night. I think it's a new thing this year -- 2 full days between games when switching cities.

So Sullivan has a whole other day to mull it over between Murray and Fleury -- whatever he decides, neither move would surprise me.

Other observations:
That also gives Bonino another day to heal up.
Kessel is really forcing it, this series -- and when he shoots angry, he shoots inaccurately. Dude needs to calm down, and just play hockey.
You know who's been invisible this series?!? Bryan Rust -- that's who. And he's been in at least 3 different line combos so far.
IF Bonino is back in the lineup, maybe time to dust off the HBK line again?!?

GO PENS!!!

WOW, my bad, I'm so anxious for this game. Here it is 6:00pm EST and now I'm all bummed out that there's not a game tonight. LOL, having another day will improve the chances for Bonino being ready. I like all your observations. Today, tomorrow, game 5 is a must win IMO.

GO PENS!