NFL’s Worst Contracts: Is this Rams’ Player Overpaid

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
Cook led the Rams in rec/yards/td in year 1 with Rams. Year 2 he led the team in Rec again, 2nd in yards and (T)2nd in rec TD
A little relevance may help here

Relevance and perspective.

In 2013, Julius Thomas had 14.1% of Denver's receptions and 14.1% of their passing yardage.
In 2014, Julius Thomas had 10.8% of Denver's receptions and 10.2% of their passing yardage.

Pretty good, eh?

In 2013, Jared Cook had 16.9% of St. Louis' receptions and 20% of their passing yardage.
In 2014, Jared cook had 15.9% of St. Louis' receptions and 17.2% of their passing yardage.

Haven't looked at a comparison of the other TEs and their teams but I suspect similar numbers. I wish Cook did more, too, but you have to keep in mind that the "pie" in St. Louis has been a lot smaller but he keeps getting a pretty big slice.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I will be honest at this point I am actually a bit scared of a big year from him. He has been around long enough that is likely what he is. I worry that if we see a big increase in numbers for him that it isn't him finally breaking out, it is him have a "career" year...that leads to a bad contract expansion as his numbers drop back to standard the next year. Mind you if his career years gets us a SB the concern is moot.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When Cook was signed, the Rams offense was allegedly about to take a quantum leap. Spread type, more passing. Brought in Cook, drafted Tavon. Game #1 against Zona, looked like Cook was gonna be a superstar. Then they dummied down the offense, rotated PS caliber QB and didnt seem to focus on Cook.
Heck, his blocking improved greatly, but to your point the money wasnt well spent. Why bring the guy here, pay him the big bucks and then convert him in to a run blocking TE.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It can be argued that Cook is overpaid for his production. But are JL and Long giving us a return on their investment? They're pretty solid players. But are they worth their current contracts?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It can be argued that Cook is overpaid for his production. But are JL and Long giving us a return on their investment? They're pretty solid players. But are they worth their current contracts?
I guess I'd compare them to their peers.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
When Cook was signed, the Rams offense was allegedly about to take a quantum leap. Spread type, more passing. Brought in Cook, drafted Tavon. Game #1 against Zona, looked like Cook was gonna be a superstar. Then they dummied down the offense, rotated PS caliber QB and didnt seem to focus on Cook.
Heck, his blocking improved greatly, but to your point the money wasnt well spent. Why bring the guy here, pay him the big bucks and then convert him in to a run blocking TE.
It was kind of a necessity. They were going all in for Bradford but Bradford couldn't play more than 7 games in the 2 seasons he's been here. They had to dummy it down because Clemens, Davis, and Hills can't into any passes past the 20 yard line. Deep game wasn't a option when 99% of deep balls would be lofty interceptions. Would you be comfortable relying on their deep arms more than once every blue moon?

There's a reason his better season was when he got a silver of time to play with Bradford. I mean you can force guys to play out of their element all you want but all that's going to do is make things 10 times worse than they already are. You can't hold Cook responsible for that.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Let's revisit this after this season when he actually plays the whole year with a #1 Qb.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Absolutely. But I doubt they'll realize their full contracts.

RamWoodie

Legend
Personally...I don't think Cook is overpaid as much as I think offensively the Rams haven't been able to maximize Cook or TA.

It takes ingenuity! Anybody think they saw that on offense yet? Anybody seen Cook on a seam route tasking the LBs? Anybody seen Cook at the WR spot taking advantage of his size? Maybe a little bit...BUT NOT ENOUGH!!!

My hope is Cignetti is able to be imaginative with those two. They are GOOD weapons *if* you know how to use them.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He is the great mirage of the current Rams team. No consistency = Not reliable
rotfl.PNG
PigFeathers Logo Right.jpg

…..

Legend
I think the interesting thing about Cook is that if we feed him the rock at a pace that would support his c9ontract, then we're taking touches away from the other guys.

Since we arent the GSOT, if we fatten up Cook's stats, then we are having this same conversation about Kenny Britt instead of Cook.

Thats the thing about the Rams recievers right now. Its really an enigma. There are 5 guys we expect more from. Five different guys we all want to see break out. They cant all break out and we are going to have this conversation about someone eventually.

I hope they all settle into a role and that role proves valuable to a winning team. Wether it be hauling in passes, scoring touchdowns, moving the chains, or taking the attention away from others, I hope they settle into a role that turns this offense into something dependable and not hopeful.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Cook is a Tavon. They have dropped over their fair share of passes but have improved, a lot. At times, they blow games wide open. They both had weaknesses they have overcome. They both still under produce with weak QBs and last season's schemes.

Seriously? I'm just hoping consistent QB play lets them both shine. They both have undeniable talent. Neither can make it happen on their own.

Is Cook overpaid or under utilized? Was Tavon over-drafted or improperly utilized?

I think it's a fantastic opportunity for Foles. Having TA and GC with Britt, Quick, Bailey, Mason, and Gurley! Are you kidding me?

Protect Foles, and they will come.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think the interesting thing about Cook is that if we feed him the rock at a pace that would support his c9ontract, then we're taking touches away from the other guys.

Since we arent the GSOT, if we fatten up Cook's stats, then we are having this same conversation about Kenny Britt instead of Cook.

Thats the thing about the Rams recievers right now. Its really an enigma. There are 5 guys we expect more from. Five different guys we all want to see break out. They cant all break out and we are going to have this conversation about someone eventually.

I hope they all settle into a role and that role proves valuable to a winning team. Wether it be hauling in passes, scoring touchdowns, moving the chains, or taking the attention away from others, I hope they settle into a role that turns this offense into something dependable and not hopeful.

Dog, I was deep thinking and you slid in with a better post.

Stop that. I mean it.

8xc8XJS.gif

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Cook just isn't worth 8-mil per season. He's a glorified wide-out who doesn't block much and has inconsistent hands.

And, the thing that frustrates me most is that he takes snaps away from a better football player in IMO, Stedman Bailey.

Ram65

Legend
I agree.

Take a look at the names above his and their production. His production relative to his compensation doesn't line up... at least to my eye

Saying he led the Rams in receiving is also saying he led the 22nd ranked passing team in the NFL. I dunno... not that impressive... I'm looking for more from a player earning $8.3 mil. At least the cap hit goes down dramatically next year. (y)

There are a lot of reasons why is numbers may not line up with that compensation package... that's behind us now.

I'm looking for big things from Cook this year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/jared-cook/

Cook just isn't worth 8-mil per season. He's a glorified wide-out who doesn't block much and has inconsistent hands.

And, the thing that frustrates me most is that he takes snaps away from a better football player in IMO, Stedman Bailey.

Cook's cap hit was 4 Million and just under 6.1 Million in the first two years. The next three years will be about 8.3 to 8.4 Million a year. Saying he has not been worth 8 Million per is not fare as he hasn't had that cap hit number just yet. I think he gets close to being worth the price tag with better QB play.

I would say Tavon Austin has taken away more snaps from Baily than Cook. The cost to get him was very high. I also believe Cook clears things out for the other receivers. Cook's blocking got better too.

Last edited:

…..

Legend
Dog, I was deep thinking and you slid in with a better post.

Stop that. I mean it.

Hahaha...its rare that I post a good one so I can see how it came as a complete surprise lol

Dont get down on yourself though grasshopper, you avatar still has bigger ears than any avatar on the world wide web. :D :sneaky:

fearsomefour

Legend
JL counts $4.27M vs the cap this year and $6.4 next year, so, yes, he is a bargain at those numbers.
I think Long will have to redo his deal for next regardless of production this year. He counts over $14M next year.