NFL's 2016 catch rule

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/206794/nfls-2016-catch-rule-clip-and-save-it-right-here

Bookmark this page. Save the image of the chart below. Throw it in your dropbox. Print and laminate. I guarantee you'll need to reference it, whatever your preservation method, at some point during the NFL's 2016 season.

The text embedded in this story is this year's version of the catch rule, as it appears on Page 31 in the recently-published Official Playing Rules of the National Football League. We've known for months the essence of what it would say, but seeing it in black and white signals a level of formality that compels commemoration.

As you might recall, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last fall convened a blue-ribbon panel to discuss the much-debated and often-confused rule. But even before the committee made a formal recommendation, league officials already had decided that no major overhaul was necessary. Instead, they revised the rule's wording (for the second consecutive year) and launched a public campaign to better explain the intent and limitations of the rule.

NFL coaches, convened for the league's owners meetings in March, joined in the angst. In a particularly entertaining rant, Baltimore Ravenscoach John Harbaugh termed the rule "nefarious" and added: "[For] coaches and players, it's just as crazy as it is for the fans."

That's the backdrop for what NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent is referring to as a "three-step process" for determining a catch in 2016. You can see the wording in the text, but basically it goes like this:

1. Ball is secure.

2. Player is in bounds.

3. Receiver maintains control long enough to become a runner.

If the player goes to the ground before establishing as a runner -- i.e., in cases of Calvin Johnson in 2010 or Dez Bryant in the 2014 playoffs -- here is what the rule now says: "[He] must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

If I had to guess, confusion this year will remain centered on whether the receiver has established himself as a runner. It's the successor to "making a football move," a term expunged from the rule book, and its 2016 explanation is more detailed than it was in 2015. To become a runner in 2016, a receiver must have possession after his second foot hits the ground, and at that point he must be "capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps."

Even that detailed description requires a level of subjective judgment from officials, and plenty of gray area remains. In no way is this a simpler or more organic rule, even for those who have an open mind about the limitations of most alternatives. But those of you who hang on to this post will be able to judge with the same criteria handed to Ed Hochuli, Clete Blakeman, Jeff Triplette and the rest of the NFL's 124 referees and other officials. Enjoy.

As defined in the rule book:

ARTICLE 3. COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS. A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

(c) maintains control of the ball after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, until he has the ball long enough to clearly become a runner. A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps (see 3-2-7-Item 2).

Note: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.

If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body to the ground, it is not a catch.

* Bolded text is new verbiage added to 2016 NFL rulebook.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@flv did you get that spin move thing from somewhere or is that your interpretation? I just can't see someone taking 5 steps and not being considered "established as a runner".

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
To me, making a football move and becoming a runner sound very much like the same thing...there certainly are situations where they are not, but the overall idea is too similar...

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I just wasn't sure if you were reposting it from an article somewhere or another NFL rule interpretation.

I personally struggle to imagine someone taking any kind of running strides not being considered to have established himself as a runner. But whatever the league decides is what I'll live with. I mean, no referee has asked my opinion in almost 30 years. Which is to say they've never asked.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
To me, making a football move and becoming a runner sound very much like the same thing...there certainly are situations where they are not, but the overall idea is too similar...

Would this count as a football move? LOL........it's getting hard not to laugh about all this isn't it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have almost never been wrong on determining whether it was a catch or not when these go under review. The only one I got wrong last year (that I watched) was I believe a Panthers player's catch in the super bowl.

It's not difficult to determine if something is a catch if you remove the homer glasses.

If they made a complete change it would probably be something like you just have to secure the ball (which BTW is still objective) and have two feet down. Offensive players would hate that because there'd be A LOT more fumbles.

We've been living with this for years now and coaches can now say to their WRs - "don't let the ball touch the ground, period" - it's not that difficult to grasp.