NFL's 10 most dangerous offenses for 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Scary scores: NFL's 10 most dangerous offenses for 2014
Vinnie Iyer @vinnieiyer

What makes for a "most dangerous" NFL offense? Easy: The ability to carve up a defense in many ways with an endless quiver of weapons.

Here's something scarier: Last season's best yardage and scoring machines got better, and a couple are about to make the jump to full attack mode. Yes, it's a passing league, but all the teams that made this cut have running backs who make them go.

Check out the top 10 … and why they have defensive coordinators whimpering.

1. Denver Broncos

2013 stats: No. 1 in scoring (37.9 points per game), No. 1 in total offense (457.3 yards per game), 71 offensive touchdowns.

2014 principals: QB Peyton Manning, RB Montee Ball, WR Demaryius Thomas, WR Wes Welker, WR Emmanuel Sanders, WR Cody Latimer, TE Julius Thomas

Manning thinks they can get better. Offensive coordinator Adam Gase expects them to be better. That just means trumping the 606 points by last season's best scoring offense of all time. That cause is helped by getting elite left tackle Ryan Clady back to anchor the offensive line, a boost more needed for the running game. Ball take over as the bell-cow for Knowshon Moreno, bringing fresher legs and more drive-finishing pop out of the backfield.

The Broncos can't feel too bad about losing Eric Decker, as Sanders and Latimer give their receiving corps added dimensions. They should, at the very least, match the '13 output. They still would take it if it comes from a more balanced attack that helps out their defense.

2. Philadelphia Eagles

2013 stats: No. 4 in scoring (27.6 points per game), No. 2 in total offense (417.3 yards per game), 51 offensive touchdowns

2014 principals:
QB Nick Foles, RB LeSean McCoy, RB Darren Sproles, WR Jeremy Maclin, WR Riley Cooper, WR Jordan Matthews, TE Zach Ertz

You can quickly see why Chip Kelly and the Eagles didn't break a sweat when they parted ways with DeSean Jackson. Kelly was a smashing success in his first year. Year 2 comes with the added benefit of having his players in an established system and no questions about Foles at quarterback.

Jackson can be replaced. Maclin is healthy, and the rookie Matthews is ready to contribute as a big, hard-to-cover target with great size and hands. As much as we want the Eagles to be high-flying, however, their strength is being grounded with the game's best offensive line and its quickest feature back. The bonus? McCoy gets the perfect running and receiving backup in Sproles. We can't wait to see all the explosive wrinkles Mad Chip has in store.

3. New Orleans Saints

2013 stats: No. 10 in scoring (25.9 points per game), No. 4 in total offense (399.4 yards per game), 49 offensive touchdowns

2014 principals: QB Drew Brees, RB Khiry Robinson, RB Pierre Thomas, RB Mark Ingram, WR Marques Colston, WR Kenny Stills, WR Brandin Cooks, TE Jimmy Graham

The Saints' scoring should have been better last season, and they're out to correct that by reestablishing a power running game. They love Robinson's potential to provide that, along with his big-play ability.

The big passing boosts? Stills and Cooks are ready for important big-play roles while replacing Lance Moore and Darren Sproles. The Saints' best vertical element last season was Graham. Now they will get a lot more downfield from Stills outside and Cooks in the slot. Coach Asshole Face will mesh this season's personnel with his aggressive approach.

4. Green Bay Packers

2013 stats: No. 9 in scoring (26.1 points per game), No. 3 in total offense (400.3 yards per game), 42 offensive touchdowns

2014 principals: QB Aaron Rodgers, RB Eddie Lacy, WR Randall Cobb, WR Jordy Nelson, WR Jarrett Boykin, WR Davante Adams, TE Andrew Quarless http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/video/1i3dovfqbtiuk1f03ypx6e0svl

When you consider they didn't have Rodgers for nearly half a regular season, those rankings and numbers are pretty darn good. They couldn't have picked a better time to land their new reliable workhorse back in Lacy, something they really haven't had since the best days of Ryan Grant.

Rodgers has a shuffled receiving corps: James Jones is gone, Jermichael Finley remains in injury limbo, and the team drafted three wideouts and a project receiving tight end. Cobb, Nelson and Boykin all can stretch the field. Because of Lacy, they will do it against overmatched secondaries.

The luster isn't the same in calling Rodgers the game's best quarterback, but as Manning and Brees have shaken up the order of the league's Mount Rushmore, he should be motivated to reclaim the peak for himself.

5. Chicago Bears

2013 stats: No. 2 in scoring (27.8 points per game), No. 8 in total offense (381.8 yards per game), 45 offensive touchdowns

2014 principals: QB Jay Cutler, RB Matt Forte, WR Brandon Marshall, WR Alshon Jeffery, WR Marquess Wilson, TE Martellus Bennett

So we know that Marc Trestman accomplished his first-year mission of making this one of the league's smoothest, fun-to-watch offenses. They were looking up only at Denver, and it didn't matter if Cutler or Josh McCown was QB. This season, Cutler should be more efficient in executing Trestman's scheme. Plus, the wide receiver repertoire expanded with Wilson as another big target. For now, we're basing this on him shaking off his injury woes.

But through all their aerial antics led by Marshall and Jeffery, the core of the attack was Matt Forte. Trestman trusted him to carry the load everywhere and made the best use of his exceptional receiving skills. With better team results, Forte can step right into the MVP conversation. He was that good in '13.

6. New England Patriots

2013 stats: No. 2 in scoring (27.8 points per game), No. 7 in total offense (384.5 yards per game), 45 offensive touchdowns

2014 principals: QB Tom Brady, RB Stevan Ridley, RB Shane Vereen, WR Julian Edelman, WR Danny Amendola, WR Aaron Dobson, WR Brandon LaFell, TE Rob Gronkowski http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/video/5rnglm5a5w2e12xbbnp5rvv1c

Brady didn't have either his best stuff or his best supporting cast last season, but credit him and Josh McDaniels for making the most of what was available. His wide receivers are bound to have more punch away from the slot.

The key is having Vereen and Gronkowski healthy to start the season. Vereen didn't get be the terrific post-Aaron Hernandez role he was expected to fill, but this season he'll get more carries to challenge Ridley in the backfield, too. Vereen's slipperiness is meant to play off Gronkowski's size.

The Pats' firepower doesn't quite match the top five, but a healthy Gronk would change that in a hurry.

7. Detroit Lions

2013 stats: No. 13 in scoring (24.7 points per game), No. 6 in total offense (392.1 yards per game), 44 offensive touchdowns.

2014 principals: QB Matt Stafford, RB Joique Bell, RB Reggie Bush, RB Theo Riddick, WR Calvin Johnson, WR Golden Taint, TE Eric Ebron

Last season's rankings in points and yardage didn't bring results for one major reason: turnovers. Stafford didn't protect the ball. His completion percentage and red zone struggles were signs of even more missed opportunities.

Detroit was smart to make the offseason about upgrading his targets (see Taint and Ebron) along with his efficiency (see Jim Caldwell and Joe Lombardi). This offense has relied too much on Megatron with others filling in the blanks. Taint, against No. 2 corners, and Ebron, against linebackers and safeties, can make big plays and draw attention away from Johnson. Lombardi also plans to better define their backs, with Bell as the reliable runner and Bush and Riddick tailored to more open-field receiving.

Everything is in place; now it's on Stafford to steer closer toward that elusive elite level of play a guy with his arm should deliver.

8. Dallas Cowboys

2013 stats:
No. 5 in scoring (27.4 points per game), No. 16 in total offense (341.1 yards per game), 45 offensive touchdowns

2014 principals:
QB Tony Romo, RB DeMarco Murray, RB Lance Dunbar, WR Dez Bryant, WR Terrance Williams, TE Jason Witten, TE Gavin Escobar

The Cowboys are unique in the fact Scott Linehan is their third play-caller in three years, and predecessors Jason Garrett and Bill Callahan still have a great influence on the offense. In short, they will be passing. A lot. Even more than before when everyone was obsessed with Murray not getting 20 carries.

Live with it, that's Linehan's way; at least the arsenal suggests they're in great position to do that often. Bryant is a stud, Williams is a fast-rising No. 2, and watch out for a healthy Dunbar and less green Escobar to add punch as versatile targets.

This offense can't ease up given. The defense, a mess of the past two seasons, needs plenty more cleanup to be respectable. The Cowboys must win with shootouts, and that happens with passing. Here's the rub: Romo's back must hold up, because Brandon Weeden might inherit his job if it doesn't.

9. San Diego Chargers

2013 stats: No. 12 in scoring (25.4 points per game), No. 5 in total offense (393.3 yards per game), 41 offensive touchdowns

2014 principals:
QB Philip Rivers, RB Ryan Mathews, RB Danny Woodhead, RB Donald Brown, WR Keenan Allen, WR Malcom Floyd, TE Antonio Gates, TE Ladarius Green

Norv Turner has a great reputation as a mastermind on offense. Mike McCoy blew it out of the water with the work he did last season, nothing short of resuscitating Rivers' fading career. They did it by focusing on getting the ball out Rivers' hands quickly to a variety of targets. It wouldn't have happened without adding the diminutive dasher Woodhead and big rookie Allen. They both caught everything everywhere while creating mismatches.

Gates isn't quite the same, but he still has sure hands. Green showed flashes as an explosive athlete enough to get more opportunities to stretch the field. Floyd, Rivers' favorite deep target in Turner's scheme, is expected to be healthy as the new No. 2 to Allen. That will give McCoy another needed element that will only help the other targets. Not to be forgotten is how McCoy also helped Mathews re-emerge as a workhorse.

10. Washington Redskins

2013 stats: No. 23 in scoring (20.9 points per game), No. 9 in total offense (369.7 yards per game), 34 offensive touchdowns

2014 principals: QB Robert Griffin III, RB Alfred Morris, WR DeSean Jackson, WR Pierre Garcon, WR Andre Roberts, TE Jordan Reed

Seattle, San Francisco, Cincinnati and Minnesota just missed the cut because of concerns at particular positions. Instead, Washington sneaks in based on potential for a huge rebound for its quarterback.

Griffin is right: Morris is the team's most reliable weapon. We know Morris will continue to carry the load and grind out tough yards in the transition from Mike Shanahan to Jay Gruden.

That said, the 'Skins are dangerous because we expect Griffin to have a "junior jump." Yes, he will run less. His relationship with Gruden is off to a great start, his knee concerns are disappearing and his receivers are much improved.

Consider: Early in the offseason they were looking forward to featuring Reed all over the field and making Roberts a steady No. 2 upgrade. Then came the chance to add Jackson as a co-No. 1 for Garcon. It was hard to resist pairing game-breaked Jackson with the big-swinger Griffin. They should create highlight-reel connections.

Even with only the occasional scrambles, we're about to see RG3 play his best in Year 3.

His [RGIII] knee concerns are disappearing

But Sam is injury prone :unsure:.

RGIII was awful last season, I mean truly awful, I probably watched more of him than any other QB, I was actually disappointed when they sat him for the year as I thought it would get us a worse pick, but thankfully the damage was done.

He'll need to make a massive leap for them to have a top 10 O this year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
my first reaction to this list, is the author seems to completely ignore the schedules that these "top 10" offenses will be facing.

Take Denver, San Diego, Philadelphia, Washington and Dallas for starters. They all will face the NFC West this year, and as long as he is using LAST YEAR as a baseline for predicting THIS YEAR, he should play close attention to what the Seattle defense did to the #1 ranked Denver offense. Now, add to that mix, facing San Francisco, Arizona and yes, the Rams defense, to think they will duplicate the success of 2013 is short sighted.

This is just another in what seems to be a total fluff piece in the dead period of the off season, with very little thought put into it.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

RGIII was awful last season, I mean truly awful, I probably watched more of him than any other QB, I was actually disappointed when they sat him for the year as I thought it would get us a worse pick, but thankfully the damage was done.

This. I was stunned at how bad Griffin played last year. I live in MD, so I watch a good portion of pretty much all of their games and he missed so many bush league throws it was astonishing. I really liked him coming out of Baylor and still think he can be the guy, but whether it was fear of the knee, or just jitters....his accuracy was pitiful last year.

RamzFanz

Damnit

I grabbed him in a FF trade as a backup and never once started him. He sucked. I played McCown instead.

jjab360

Legend
my first reaction to this list, is the author seems to completely ignore the schedules that these "top 10" offenses will be facing.

Take Denver, San Diego, Philadelphia, Washington and Dallas for starters. They all will face the NFC West this year, and as long as he is using LAST YEAR as a baseline for predicting THIS YEAR, he should play close attention to what the Seattle defense did to the #1 ranked Denver offense. Now, add to that mix, facing San Francisco, Arizona and yes, the Rams defense, to think they will duplicate the success of 2013 is short sighted.

This is just another in what seems to be a total fluff piece in the dead period of the off season, with very little thought put into it.
Except this isn't the list of most statistically productive offenses, it's the list of most dangerous offenses. Even if teams see a little drop in production due to the level of defenses they face, it doesn't make them any less dangerous.

SierraRam

Recreational User
6. New England Patriots

Enough! The best team from the rough & tough AFC Least would be 5-11 with our schedule. They're done, thru, kaput.

No cheaty - no trophy

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Did Denver magically get a running game? That's why they sucked so bad in the SB.

Patriots suck, too.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Except this isn't the list of most statistically productive offenses, it's the list of most dangerous offenses. Even if teams see a little drop in production due to the level of defenses they face, it doesn't make them any less dangerous.

Good point, but at the end of the season, lets see where they stand. When the author implies that Denver could surpass last years point total of 600+, IMO, he is missing a very big factor.