NFLN Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Marshall Faulk just picked for the Rams and he selected QB Johny Manziel at #2 and T Zack Martin at #13. :eek:

Do you suppose Snead and Fisher got him to pick JM at #2????????
Of course they did. Marshall is a Ram all the way. I just love the way they are coordinating this campaign. It's a thing of beauty.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Well, we'd have two choices:

1. Deal Bradford before making the pick, and thus everyone knows we need a QB and can try to jump us accordingly.

2. Deal Bradford after the pick, meaning everyone would know we'd be looking to offload him and we wouldn't get anything as near as much as we would for compensation.

I choose option 3:

3. Keep the QB you have rather than downgrading, and see what he can do with either better weapons or better armor. :)

Or have a tentative deal in place with a team like Minnesota, or other QB needy teams that we've talked to. Which is the most likely of any scenario if this extremely low probability of a trade actually happened.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Love it Love it Love it. Marshall is a Ram all the way. He's pimping for the front office. I just love the propaganda campaign. Keep the pressure on Cleveland!
Hey! Good point. It all seems so obvious now. Kinda like what @RamsAndEwe was talking about.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Or have a tentative deal in place with a team like Minnesota, or other QB needy teams that we've talked to. Which is the most likely of any scenario if this extremely low probability of a trade actually happened.
The problem with that though is it ends up having both sets of disadvantages mentioned above: It becomes public knowledge you want a QB and teams try to jump you AND we'd get less in return because people knew we needed to unload to someone.

I'd rather fix the holes we have than make more.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The problem with that though is it ends up having both sets of disadvantages mentioned above: It becomes public knowledge you want a QB and teams try to jump you AND we'd get less in return because people knew we needed to unload to someone.

I'd rather fix the holes we have than make more.

Except that you're not trading Bradford if Manziel doesn't fall to you. Also if said team trades up with the Texans for a QB then the consensus best player in the draft to fall to you.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Except that you're not trading Bradford if Manziel doesn't fall to you. Also if said team trades up with the Texans for a QB then the consensus best player in the draft to fall to you.
You pretty much have to trade Bradford if things get to that point though.

Unless Bradford is totally clueless as to this process (and he won't be) you just made it clear to him that while he's in your 2014 plans, he's not in the mix beyond that. And this is less than a year after you were talking extension with him.

That would be a terrible situation for the Rams to be in.

Of course, this whole Manziel to the Rams thing is all just hype that I don't think other teams are buying anyway, so yeah...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
How many times has Marshall be right about who the Rams were drafting over the last two years?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You pretty much have to trade Bradford if things get to that point though.

Unless Bradford is totally clueless as to this process (and he won't be) you just made it clear to him that while he's in your 2014 plans, he's not in the mix beyond that. And this is less than a year after you were talking extension with him.

That would be a terrible situation for the Rams to be in.

Of course, this whole Manziel to the Rams thing is all just hype that I don't think other teams are buying anyway, so yeah...
Except also there is the option to have competition and ONE of them becomes trade bait for 2015. I don't see that as a terrible situation if Manziel appears to be a capable signal caller in pre-season and beyond. Say Bradford has a good season and Manziel has taken the #2 spot. Don't you think there will be a market? Suppose Manziel gets it done in pre-season. You have Sam as the back-up for a season getting completely healthy and you would still have the option to do a sign and trade (I believe).

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Except also there is the option to have competition and ONE of them becomes trade bait for 2015. I don't see that as a terrible situation if Manziel appears to be a capable signal caller in pre-season and beyond. Say Bradford has a good season and Manziel has taken the #2 spot. Don't you think there will be a market? Suppose Manziel gets it done in pre-season. You have Sam as the back-up for a season getting completely healthy and you would still have the option to do a sign and trade (I believe).
I don't really like that option either. Whoever you do trade in 2015, you're STILL going to get less than market value for since teams will know you have to trade one of them.

Snisher may disagree, but I really think we need to fix our holes rather than get cute. The only involvement we should have with Manziel is trading down so some other team can get him at a hefty price to us.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I do not think you get #13 in the 1st round back for a QB you drafted and now want to dump errrr trade and for sure you don't get a #2 overall.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't really like that option either. Whoever you do trade in 2015, you're STILL going to get less than market value for since teams will know you have to trade one of them.

Snisher may disagree, but I really think we need to fix our holes rather than get cute. The only involvement we should have with Manziel is trading down so some other team can get him at a hefty price to us.
I'm not saying I want Manziel there. Quite the contrary. But I can see it working out. You may get less for Bradford but then again, you would be negotiating his contract down in that scenario anyway. If you could have your new franchise QB AND have him hold a clipboard for a year, that is a good situation even if you lose value in Bradford by doing it. If Sam has a lack-luster year, you are going to lose that value anyway.

I think Bradford is our guy going forward - so in my scenario, you have a change of pace QB on the sidelines you can put in on some gadget type plays (Fisher loves those) and give him a stage to gain interest. Then you have plenty of teams needing a QB seeing that they should have traded up when he was available. How many times lately have wee seen teams overpay for someone's back-up.