NFL will partner with Hawk-Eye to enhance instant replay capabilities and shorten delays

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NFL will partner with Hawk-Eye to enhance instant replay capabilities and shorten delays​

In the NFL's continued efforts to enhance and streamline its instant replay process, CBS Sports has learned the league will partner with Hawk-Eye Innovations to aid officials and shave seconds off delays.

The changes, according to multiple sources who spoke to CBS Sports, will include instituting Hawk-Eye's state-of-the-art replay system that will allow the NFL to process live video in real time and sync up various camera angles seamlessly. This comes on the heels of team owners approving expanded duties for replay officials to help with clear, obvious and objective aspects of a play for game administration purposes.

Hawk-Eye is a leader in the sports technology field. It has been used for goal-line tech in international soccer, pit-lane officiating in NASCAR, and it's perhaps best-known for its optical tracking system that enables electronic line calling in tennis.

The NFL will use Hawk-Eye's Synchronized Multi-Angle Replay Technology (SMART) to get control of live video feeds from broadcast partners. All of those feeds can be synced together with time stamps to provide multiple angles of the same play at the exact same time. (TV partners have done something similar for viewers over the years, but not this precise or this quickly after the play.) CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported in 2019 on how the league was eyeing technology like this. The point here is to both get as many calls as possible correct but also speed up the game. Of the 40,032 plays in the 2020 season, only 364 were reviewed. That's slightly lower than the league's 10-year average of 400 plays reviewed since 2011.

Interestingly, the NFL saw its highest reversal rate ever in 2020. Never before had the league seen half of its reviewed plays overturned, and going into 2020 only 38.6% of all reviews had been overturned since 1999. But in 2020, 54% of all reviews were reversed, representing an increase of 7 percentage points from the previous season.

The high percentage of reversals could be due to any combination of factors: no preseason warmups for officials to get into their groove, improved in-stadium technology gives clearer pictures and/or coaches simply getting better at what close calls to challenge.

With reversals up, that usually meant officials taking more time on reviews. And more time equals longer delays. The average delay for reviews in 2020 lasted 2 minutes and 26 seconds, which went up 18 seconds year-over-year and was well above the league-best mark of 1 minute, 44 seconds from the 2017 season.

For years, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has made speeding up the game a focal point. We've seen more picture-in-picture commercials during games, for example, and referees no longer go "under the hood" to review plays but instead look at tablets on the field.

With the average delay steadily increasing since Goodell made speeding up the game such a priority, it's no wonder the league is endeavoring this partnership now.

As an example, all turnovers are reviewed. When there's a fumble, officials regularly (and correctly) let the play go rather than whistling it dead too quickly. But oftentimes the replay shows the runner's knee was down well before the ball came out. That pause can be just long enough to necessitate an official timeout and TV commercial break. With this technology, the replay officials should be able to inform the referee of the clear and obvious ruling and not have to delay the game further.

I'm told teams and coaches should be learning more about this new technology during training camp. I've reached out to the league for comment to better understand how this technology will be integrated into game operations and will report back on what's learned.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“Hawk-Eye is a leader in the sports technology field. It has been used for goal-line tech in international soccer, pit-lane officiating in NASCAR, and it's perhaps best-known for its optical tracking system that enables electronic line calling in tennis.”

I would say it’s best known for its use in Cricket. What chump wrote this?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Interestingly, the NFL saw its highest reversal rate ever in 2020. Never before had the league seen half of its reviewed plays overturned, and going into 2020 only 38.6% of all reviews had been overturned since 1999. But in 2020, 54% of all reviews were reversed, representing an increase of 7 percentage points from the previous season.

The high percentage of reversals could be due to any combination of factors: no preseason warmups for officials to get into their groove, improved in-stadium technology gives clearer pictures and/or coaches simply getting better at what close calls to challenge.

I think the higher rate could have something to do with no fans and crowd influence.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I want calls to be correct no matter what. If I can wait months for the season to start and a week or two between games, I can wait a couple minutes to get a call right that can affect the outcome of a game or even be a turning point in a season.

Any advancement to doing so is welcome to me. I want a consistent strike zone in baseball. I want the first person who flinches on the line to get a call instead of the second. I'd go so far as wanting some way to get the offensive holding calls (not possible, but still...) consistent. So this increase in better replay is awesome.

As for the tired, old, stupid mantra that human error by officials is "part of the game", that's like saying that working at a job means you have to put up with managers being assholes or hourly workers have to be underpaid to keep businesses afloat. There are some things that are improving in this world and better technology must be embraced

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
How about hiring officials full time and a grading system.

Bar Jerome Booger, Jeff Triplette and Bill Vinovitch from ever officiating a Rams game ever again.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
“Hawk-Eye is a leader in the sports technology field.
1627133849623.png

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
How about hiring officials full time and a grading system.

Bar Jerome Booger, Jeff Triplette and Bill Vinovitch from ever officiating a Rams game ever again.
They have a grading system.

They grade themselves and every time a call is overturned it's a mark against them. What could possibly go wrong?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've always felt the best way to do it is to give the official on the field access to all the camera angles the TV gives us. I feel like that hasn't been the case either. Now I don't know for sure or anything. But if they don't have the same angles/feeds that TV has then they're being set up to look like shit.

Just like the rules committee piling on more rules for them to look at every year. Yes player safety is paramount. But there's going to be an effect when you keep adding all these rules that they have to work in real time, especially when they're things like head angle and intent and all that.

And btw I do think quite a few of the refs are straight garbage so not making excuses for them here. But damn have they been set up to look bad in many ways by the NFL so this is a nice direction I suspect.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Football really seems like the sport where the ref can impact the outcome more than any other sport, but maybe it's just me. The fact that refs aren't full time is a real head scratcher for me, teams like the Patriots literally take advantage of the inconsistencies. I read or heard somewhere how they would give the penalty tendencies of different crews before games so they would know if they could hold or bump guys a little more than normal, and that should be a really big sign to the NFL that something isn't right.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
“Hawk-Eye is a leader in the sports technology field. It has been used for goal-line tech in international soccer, pit-lane officiating in NASCAR, and it's perhaps best-known for its optical tracking system that enables electronic line calling in tennis.”

Americans don’t know what cricket is lol

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crickets are those things I hear when I tell a joke.

Ram65

Legend
I'm all for getting calls right. I also want the games to move along. Hope this helps both sides.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

i dont watch cricket so idk how often its used there, but as a tennis fan, hawk-eye is slowly replacing lines officials, so its being used every point of the match to judge the ball in or out. Feel like it would be hard to have a more prominent use that in another sport. So maybe hes not a chump?