NFL to prohibit non-standard facemasks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well... You knew this was coming! But, the safety reason is BS.

----

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362461/article/nfl-prohibiting-nonstandard-facemasks

We've likely reached the end of the Bane-like facemasks in the NFL.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport obtained a league memo from NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent that states the NFL will prohibit the use of non-standard/overbuilt facemasks for the 2014 season.

According to the memo, research from the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment showed that the non-standard facemasks more frequently fail safety and certification tests and aren't up to NFL safety standards.

Among the characteristics of the banned facemasks are "more bars, smaller spaces between the bars, and a generally larger coverage area," Vincent wrote in the memo.

A study conducted by the University of New Hampshire for the NFL states that the added weight of the masks negatively affects the structure of the helmet, can cause neck fatigue that could lead to a more head-down posture during contact and can provide a false sense of security during tackling.

Four players wore what would now be considered illegal facemasks in 2013, Rapoport reported. Players with medical approval for facemasks in 2013 must be re-evaluated prior to the 2014 season, and strict guidelines for future medical exemptions in regards to facemasks will be enforced, the memo stated.

While we enjoyed the diversity of the inventive facemasks, player safety is paramount when it comes to the head and neck.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" ranks the league's top tight ends and debates Andrew Luckvs. Cam Newton.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Ah, the good 'ol days

c2492d5884bc7ce17f2457de2c9ed61d.jpg

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah,,, the ones with the huge number of cross bars do look mean as shit.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This is just more micromanagement by the league. Can anyone recall one instance in the history of the NFL that a non-standard facemask resulted in injury? I like the facemask diversity...

image.jpg

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I am going to have to think this through, but my first thought is that if it meets safety standards, let the players use what they want.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If I had a dollar everytime I hated an NFL rule change I would have...like 5 dollars. But still, bullcrap.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
NFL to prohibit tackling

th

An NFL source has revealed that the NFL board of Men Who Are Only In It For The Money have lobbied hard to pass a new rule that will make our players safer and less likely to suffer from injury and therefor lower the rising costs of team equipment, medical care and trauma treatment for NFL players. There are other issues at hand according to NFL officials.

Rodger Goodell, Chairman of the board for MWAOIIFTM said, "We feel that the time has come to give our fans a product that can satisfy the entire family. Statistics bear out that violence depicted on Sundays has reached the eyes and ears of small children and the NFL will always take a pro-active stance on any negative social issues we feel that we have contributed to. This is a great game. Our best interests lie in the satisfaction of the fans and the safety of our players."

Team owners have been mostly quiet on the issue. The players, according to the NFLPA, have their reservations over playing touch football...but as long as they can continue to use Twitter and smoke
marijuana there doesn't seem to be much backlash. In fact, New England Patriots two-time Super Bowl MVP QB Tom Brady had this to say, "I haven't been sacked or knocked down since 2001. Of course, there's always that chance that i might get hit, so i'm all in favor of this change."

NFL fans have not yet been asked how they feel about the changes. Can the NFL survive and flourish as a non-contact sport? The committee for the MWAOIIFTM say "Yes it can and will." and are currently in the process of making it happen. I think i'll go tune into the World Cup.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think they need to do away with facemasks all together