NFL teams split $6B in revenue

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Revenue sharing splits up $6 billion in 2013
Posted by Mike Florio on July 11, 2014

96712434.jpg
Getty Images

Since only the Packers must reveal their books, due to their non-stock stock ownership structure, the Packers’ annual report includes plenty of info both about the franchise and the league.

Darren Rovell of ESPN.com did some backwards math to determine that the $187.7 million received by the Packers in national revenue means that the league divided a whopping $6 billion among the 32 teams from April 1, 2013 through March 31, 2014.

That cash comes largely from the national TV contracts with NBC, ESPN, FOX, CBS, and DirecTV. The wireless deal with Verizon also pumps up the number, as does the 34-percent chunk of ticket sales that go to the visiting team in name, but that as a practical matter are pooled for revenue sharing.

The massive shared amount, which exceeds last year’s salary cap of $123 million by more than 50 percent, highlights the ongoing importance of the broadcast antitrust exemption. The federal law, passed decades ago, gives the NFL the ability to negotiate TV deals as a 32-business block, forcing networks that covet broadcasts of significant national interest to also take less attractive games involving less compelling teams.

If that exemption ever goes away, all teams would have to cut their own deals, and a handful of teams would make a killing. Which could make it tempting for some owners to not be all that upset if the exemption ever evaporates.

Still, revenue sharing levels the playing field, ensuring that the NFL won’t be split into a collections of haves and have nots.

Maybe that should be have mores, and have mosts.

NFL teams split $6B in revenue
Updated: July 10, 2014
By Darren Rovell | ESPN.com

NFL teams, for the first time, equally divided more than $6 billion in revenue last season.

That's according to financials released by the Green Bay Packers on Thursday afternoon.

The Packers said they received $187.7 million in national revenue, which is mostly derived from the league's television rights. The Packers' total represents 3.1 percent, or 1/32nd, of the overall pie.

Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy said the national revenue rose 4.3 percent from last year due in part to new carriage agreements with the NFL Network and additional revenue from Nike, the league's official uniform provider.

The national revenue dollars the Packers and the rest of the league's teams have received continue to climb over the years, with the total pie up 56 percent, factoring for inflation, since 2006.

The most significant jump will happen next season, as new television deals with each of the league's partners, along with the new CBS Thursday Night package, pushes the league's media revenue from the networks alone to an average of more than $5 billion a season.

That doesn't include the league's $1 billion a year contract with DirecTV, which expires at the end of the 2014 season and is currently being renegotiated.

As the only public team, the Packers are required to release revenue numbers, even though their more than 360,000 shareholders hold shares that don't have a resale value and aren't publicly traded.

The Packers' reported local revenue for this past season was $136.3 million, helped along by the new 7,000-seat south end zone, which added $8 million in tickets and concession revenue and $2 million in sponsorship.

Local revenues for the Packers were $136.3 million, up 6.4 percent from last season. Factoring in expenses of $298.5 million, the Packers pulled in a $25.5 million profit, down nearly 53 percent from last season.

Murphy said the main reason for the decline were player costs of $171 million. The team signed big contracts with Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers and Sam Shields, parts of which were included in this fiscal year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Geez..$187 million exceeds $123 million by, carry the, I get $64 big ones. Is my math correct?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
That's so much money!... id be happy with like 50-100k. Id throw that bitch in a savings account and my son would have a nice education waiting for him when he finishes high school.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It's time for ROD revenue sharing! I want -X-'s ROD bucks!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And they can't pay the cheerleaders more than minimum wage?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The bigger issue to me is; why is the game becoming unaffordable to the average person?

Why are beers $8?
Why are hot dogs $5?
Why is a soda $5?

When is enough, enough?

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
funny how they report this during the "slow time", but make damn sure you know how "greedy" those players are during the season. nice work owners. ;)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is that as bad in St. Louis as elsewhere?

Not sure about St. Louis. I know the Raiders, Bengals, Bucs, and Jets got sued and when the Bills did they suspended their cheerleader program. Here's an interesting article on what they go through.

Personally I think cheerleaders are fine for high school and college games but not so much for the pros. Still if teams are going to use them then they should be paid fairly.

SierraRam

Recreational User
The bigger issue to me is; why is the game becoming unaffordable to the average person?

Why are beers $8?
Why are hot dogs $5?
Why is a soda $5?

When is enough, enough?

The new emphasis is on corporate seating and sky-boxes, thus taking your family to an NFL game can cost a small fortune! Throwing in fun stuff like food, drinks, gear and foam fingers used to be part of the experience. It shouldn't be something an average family has to budget for.. (n)

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Why are beers $8?
Why are hot dogs $5?
Why is a soda $5?

When is enough, enough?
In the end, it's because they CAN charge those prices and still sell them.

It'll be enough when people either stop coming to the games or stop buying food there.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Why are beers $8?
Why are hot dogs $5?
Why is a soda $5?

When is enough, enough?

Because they can, bro. Making money becomes a matter of status for those rich pricks. It's all about the bottum line, that's it.