NFL Team Sack Record Tracker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Just a fun talking point this early. The mark is 72 set by the 85 bears. To tie this mark, the Rams must average 4.5 sacks a game. They are currently just under this average sitting at 4.25, 17 total.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The league has changed a lot since 1985. So is the sack record harder now, or easier because of it?

In 1985 you didn't have the mobile quarterbacks, it was Randall Cunningham's first year. Easier QB's to run down?

In 1985, I can't back this up other than with assumption... you would have seen more 7 step drops. The WCO was still a fairly new thing. Fewer quick passes?

In 1985, it was more a running league... less sack opportunities?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The league has changed a lot since 1985. So is the sack record harder now, or easier because of it?

In 1985 you didn't have the mobile quarterbacks, it was Randall Cunningham's first year. Easier QB's to run down? Easier then

In 1985, I can't back this up other than with assumption... you would have seen more 7 step drops. The WCO was still a fairly new thing. Fewer quick passes? Easier then

In 1985, it was more a running league... less sack opportunities? Harder then

Also:

The Spread offenses were not widely used in college. The spread is partly being blamed for the shortage of good Olinemen in the current NFL. So in that regard sacks may be easier to get. Easier now.

Short passes are in vogue now as you said. Harder now

I can safely say that it is too difficult to discern

Athos

Legend
Also:

The Spread offenses were not widely used in college. The spread is partly being blamed for the shortage of good Olinemen in the current NFL. So in that regard sacks may be easier to get. Easier now.

Short passes are in vogue now as you said. Harder now

I can safely say that it is too difficult to discern

Well, one more thing to work out.

How many sacks have been wiped out in this age of football because of bogus roughing the passer calls, etc? You could definitely play some dirtier football back in the day.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well, one more thing to work out.

How many sacks have been wiped out in this age of football because of bogus roughing the passer calls, etc? You could definitely play some dirtier football back in the day.

William "The Fridge" Perry dirty? Nooooo.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just glad we're not experiencing what happened last year! (y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

In 1985 you didn't have the mobile quarterbacks, it was Randall Cunningham's first year. Easier QB's to run down?

In 1985, I can't back this up other than with assumption... you would have seen more 7 step drops. The WCO was still a fairly new thing. Fewer quick passes?

In 1985, it was more a running league... less sack opportunities?
JMHO But I believe it is harder today because of all the rules protecting the QB. A lot of the Sacks from the Old Days could be called " Roughing the Passer" today! JMO