NFL Team Fortunes Rise and Fall on QB Play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was listening to Sirius this afternoon and a Browns fan called in talking about whether Wentz was worthy of being the 2 overall pick, and brought up the level of competition blah blah blah.

Kirwan comes back with the Cleveland hometown kid Big Ben the former MAC player and how the Browns passed on him and how'd that work out for them. Discussion went on about who they took, which was the TE Winslow who they were convinced would be an impact player for their offense. Meanwhile the Steelers of course took Big Ben and look how that worked out for them.

And you know, it really drives home the importance of drafting the QB position. If you look at the Steelers' draft in 2004 it wasn't amazing. They also got OT Starks, but the key was drafting a future Hall of Fame QB and that one decision has carried their franchise for over a DECADE and STILL GOING.

Really hope the Rams get it right in this draft. Draft the effing QB position. Move up for the right guy. Just do it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Move up for the right guy. Just do it.

I think a lot of teams agree with you.

The Titans are going to clean up. Its just a matter of who does it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think a lot of teams agree with you.

The Titans are going to clean up. Its just a matter of who does it.

Can you imagine moving all the way up and getting Goff??? What it would feel like to have that kid on our roster? I think I'd cry tears of joy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Can you imagine moving all the way up and getting Goff??? What it would feel like to have that kid on our roster? I think I'd cry tears of joy.

As long as he works out, it's worth the price. It it doesn't work out, it could set us back, hard.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as he works out, it's worth the price. It it doesn't work out, it could set us back, hard.

True. But look at the Skins... How bad did missing on RG3 set them back? Funny how finding a QB made up the difference quickly.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
True. But look at the Skins... How bad did missing on RG3 set them back? Funny how finding a QB made up the difference quickly.
I like the throwing darts approach. Keep throwing, until you hit a bullseye.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good point. (y)
it set them back all the picks they lost, so how much farther ahead would they be ? from the bag of what ifs, brockers and bruce irvin were available at their spot just in 2012. who else could they have taken in lieu of the picks they gave the rams. heck, just put the rams picks on the skins. they'd be a better team for it (hindsight).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
it set them back all the picks they lost, so how much farther ahead would they be ? from the bag of what ifs, brockers and bruce irvin were available at their spot just in 2012. who else could they have taken in lieu of the picks they gave the rams. heck, just put the rams picks on the skins. they'd be a better team for it (hindsight).

But QB is that important, to the point where even though the Skins missed on the position when they traded up they still had a better team than we did last year. And there is no way their roster is as good as ours in total players overall. It was simply better at the most important position.

So many great Rams teams back in the day that could not win it all, for the same reason. Fish and Snead have to take a shot. If you don't take a shot you're probably not going to have that QB you need to win it all. We hit the lottery on Warner. Seahawks hit the lottery on Wilson. Cheatriots hit the lottery on Brady. But those are exceptions to the rule. Fish and Snead gotta quit screwing around and get 'er done.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But QB is that important, to the point where even though the Skins missed on the position when they traded up they still had a better team than we did last year. And there is no way their roster is as good as ours in total players overall. It was simply better at the most important position.

So many great Rams teams back in the day that could not win it all, for the same reason. Fish and Snead have to take a shot. If you don't take a shot you're probably not going to have that QB you need to win it all. We hit the lottery on Warner. Seahawks hit the lottery on Wilson. Cheatriots hit the lottery on Brady. But those are exceptions to the rule. Fish and Snead gotta quit screwing around and get 'er done.
i agree, which surprisingly, the skins drafted kirk cousins in the same draft. just in case. in the 3rd round. add brockers and jenkins to their defense. just saying that they could even be farther ahead because kirk cousins panned out as a QB. in their quest for a QB they would have crashed and burned without kirk cousins coming through for them. as important as the qb spot is, its not worth trashing the whole draft over. a good qb can be found anywhere in the draft, it just happens to be the most visible position to fans, writers, analysts, etc. (not arguing the importance of the position, just the fact that how much farther ahead would the skins be if they anyone knew kirk cousins would step up like he has.) and they had the luxury to draft a brockers , irvin, in the first round instead of trading a lot of picks for a "hope" that the pick would prove worthy at the qb spot. and in hindsight, griffin didnt. i'd rather have brockers or irvin instead of griffin today.

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
This has to be how "QBs" like RGME and Johnny Screwup keep getting drafted even though they have no ability or drive to learn how to be a NFL Starter.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

As it pertains to QBs "throwing darts" is more appropriate to what the Rams have been doing, in trying to fix it without investing enough draft capital.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Just gotta get th right guy. Can't sell the farm for a guy - if it's Goff and he turns into an interception machine, or Wentz can't hack it against pro defenders (I think he will be a good one myself). Trust your scout and GM. History shows you'll be wrong as often as right but what else can you do? You have to have a QB.