NFL Supplemental Draft set for Thursday, July 12

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... witter_atl

NFL teams can't totally take off the Fourth of July holiday. They have to prepare for another draft.

The league informed teams Monday that the supplemental draft will be conducted electronically beginning at 1 p.m. ET on Thursday, July 12.

The following players are eligible to be drafted: Boise State DB Quaylon Ewing, [hil]Utah WR Josh Gordon[/hil], Syracuse RB Adam Harris, Iowa State OT Adrian Haughton, Carson-Newman LB Larry Lumpkin, Georgia DE Montez Robinson, McMurray WR Houston Tuminello and TCU RB Ed Wesley. No other players are eligible to apply for the draft.

Gordon is likely to receive the most attention from media and teams in the buildup to the draft. I spoke with former NFL scout (and current NFL.com analyst) Daniel Jeremiah, who said Gordon is building some buzz among teams. Measuring 6-foot-4, weighing 225 pounds and possessing good speed, Gordon looks the part of a pro wideout.

Gordon produced solid numbers in 2010 at Baylor before he was suspended and transferred to Utah. He turned pro before ever playing for Utah and will have to answer teams' questions about off-the-field behavior before anyone will take a chance on him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[hil]Do it.[/hil]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Russ Lande
http://www.russlande.com/2012-mock-draft/

ATHLETIC ABILITY
GRADE – 8.0

Gordon has excellent athleticism for a 6’4 / 220 pound receiver. Despite just an adequate initial burst off the ball after two or three steps he gets to full speed and has the playing speed to get deep separation easily. After he catches the ball he displays VG quickness turning and getting started up the field. He gets to full speed fast and has the strength and balance to run through contact easily. Unlike many tall receivers, Gordon has soft, natural hands to pluck the ball and get it tucked away fast. Gordon’s raw athleticism enables him to be productive despite needing to improve his route running and consistency.

HANDS / ABILITY TO MAKE TOUGH CATCH
GRADE – 7.5

Gordon’s natural hands show up in his ability to pluck the ball away from body easily, even on off-target passes, without having to break stride. On deep passes he makes it look easy making the “over the shoulder” catch – Does not have to slow down to make tough grab. Consistently tucks ball away quickly after catching it, which enables him to hold onto the ball consistently when he gets plastered right after the ball arrives.

ROUTE RUNNING
GRADE – 5.5

For Gordon to take advantage of his physical talent and shine in the NFL he will need to improve his route running. He lacks explosiveness off the ball and tends to run his routes upright. However, once he gets moving he accelerates to full speed in a flash and can run by cornerbacks to easily get separation deep down field. He uses hand and shoulder to subtly push off cornerback and create some separation on routes that require slight cuts. He has not been asked to run many of the routes on the “route tree” in Baylor’s offense, so he no doubt will need to work on running sharp precise routes; especially those that require sharp cuts like “out,” “dig” and “curl” routes.

RUN AFTER CATCH
GRADE – 7.5

Gordon’s combination of size, strength, balance and playing speed enable him to consistently make plays running after the catch. On quick hitting passes behind the LOS he gets started up the field fast, attacks crease and has a little wiggle to avoid tacklers running after the catch. His strength and balance make it easy for Gordon to run through arm/grab tackles to consistently gain yards after contact. Unlike many big receivers, Gordon has the elite speed to out-run angles to take plays the distance – See the 94 yard TD vs. Kansas. He must wrap-up the ball better with both hands while running after catch to avoid fumbling – In the four games graded he fumbled three times.

RELEASE OFF LOS
GRADE – 5.5

In order to take advantage of his acceleration and playing speed at the NFL level, Gordon will need to improve initial quickness off the ball. He has a bad habit of picking up the heel on his back foot at the snap before driving forward, which slows his release. He will have to anticipate the snap better, drive off ball and run with better bend and body lean in order to release well vs. air in the NFL. He has the size, long arms, playing strength and foot quickness to defeat cornerback jam once he improves technique and gains experience.

BLOCKING
GRADE – 6.5

Gordon does a good job of making good initial block on defender, stays over feet and maintains block to eliminate man from the play. At times he gets a little over-extended and loses block, but that is the exception.

TOUGHNESS / BODY TYPE / DURABILITY
GRADE – 6.0

Baylor’s offense did not ask Gordon to catch passes heading into traffic in the games graded. However, he consistently displayed toughness catching quick hitting pass behind the LOS right before being hit and always held onto the ball. Despite his obviously excellent height and VG playing strength, he looks thin below the waist and could use some added weight to maintain durability in the NFL. His durability is a complete question mark as he only played one full season where he was a big part of Baylor’s offense (2010) when he caught just over 40 passes, so he will need to prove he has the innate toughness to be a durable NFL receiver.

STRENGTHS

Gordon’s ability to pluck the ball, turn up-field and make big plays running after the catch give him the talent to be a big play-maker in the NFL. While his route running definitely needs work, his ability to use his strength (Hand and shoulder) to push-off defender to create some separation will help him produce while he does so. He has naturally soft hands and is able to reach out and pluck the ball with surprising ease. He can reach behind or ahead of him to pluck ball without having to slow down and is able to get started up the field very quickly after the catch. His ability to find the hole/crease quickly after the catch, hit it fast and run through arm/grab tackles are what help him to make big plays. He consistently turns quick passes behind the LOS into 10 yard gains and first downs. Gordon’s elite playing speed allows him to easily get separation deep down the field and to out-run angles to score long (30+ Yard) TD’s. For a player with his physical talent and play-making ability, he surprised me with his willingness, effort and production as a blocker.

WEAKNESSES

Gordon was on the verge of being a highly productive college receiver after a 40+ catch sophomore season. However, he was dismissed from Baylor due to violations of team rules and sat out the 2011 season when transferring to Utah. So no doubt there are some real questions about Gordon’s maturity and decision making. In order to succeed in the NFL, Gordon will need to prove he has matured while also improving his route running, initial get off and protection of the ball running after the catch.

BOTTOM LINE

After sitting out the 2011 season when transferring to Utah, Gordon applied for entry in the 2012 Supplemental Draft. While he no doubt would have been a much higher pick had he not had off-field issues, he is still going to be drafted higher than expected in the Supplemental Draft than most expect. Off 2010 film he showed better hands and run after catch ability than Kendall Wright who was drafted in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Gordon definitely needs to improve his route running, but in terms of pure physical talent he is very gifted and has the talent to be a highly productive NFL receiver. Overall, had Gordon played at Baylor in 2011 he likely could have come out early and been a first or second round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. Now he is likely to be drafted by a team in the third or fourth round at the latest because of his upside and potential. [hil]Based purely on film evaluation Gordon is a better prospect than Brian Quick and Stephen Hill who were both second round picks in the 2012 NFL Draft.[/hil]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WR Josh Gordon enters NFL Supplemental Draft
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog ... ntal-draft

According to reports, wide receiver Josh Gordon will forego his remaining college eligibility and enter the 2012 NFL Supplemental Draft. A Baylor transfer, he sat out the 2011 season while enrolled at Utah. The Supplemental Draft is reportedly scheduled for July 12.

Gordon began his career at Baylor, setting career-bests in 2010 as a sophomore with 42 catches for 714 yards and seven touchdowns. However his two-year stint with the Bears ended shortly before the 2011 season as he decided to leave the program after he was suspended indefinitely for an off-campus drug arrest. Gordon joined Utah and began practicing with his new team, but was forced to sit out last season due to transfer rules. In August 2011, Utah head coach Kyle Willingham said the Utes “did their homework” on Gordon and felt he “deserves a second chance.” But the wideout never officially played for Utah, leaving the program for undisclosed reasons.

Gordon has tremendous speed and natural athleticism for his 6-4, 220-pound frame, but is still very rough around the edges as a receiver. He is a long-striding runner with the build-up speed and fluidity to make plays after the catch. Gordon is raw as a route runner and has only one true season of playing experience in college and that came in Baylor's high-octane offense, catching passes from Robert Griffin III. He also carries off-field concerns stemming from his past drug arrest and has now decided to leave two different college programs, creating some concern about his professional demeanor.

In 2010, Baylor's top-three leading receivers were Gordon, Kendall Wright and Terrance Williams. Wright was drafted in the first round this past April and Williams is considered a possible first round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. That leaves Gordon who has the athletic skill-set to be selected in the first four rounds, but his inexperience and questionable background will drop him down draft boards. As unpredictable as the NFL Supplemental Draft is each year, Gordon will certainly be a wildcard on July 12.

PhxRam

Havent really paid all that much attention to the supplemental draft. How does the process work and in which order is the selection process?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PhxRam said:
Havent really paid all that much attention to the supplemental draft. How does the process work and in which order is the selection process?
It's a weighted system and the teams that had the fewest wins go first, and it's in tiers. 6 wins or less, followed by non-playoff teams with more than 6 wins, then playoff teams, etc. They have to put in a bid on the player that consists of a draft pick in the following year's draft. Like, if the Rams wanted this guy they could offer next year's 6th in the hopes that nobody offers a 5th. Or they could offer a 5th hoping nobody offers a 4th. As far as which team wins should their be multiple identical offers, I "assume" it would work like the draft position. Colts, Rams, blah blah blah.

PhxRam

X said:
PhxRam said:
It's a weighted system and the teams that had the fewest wins go first, and it's in tiers. 6 wins or less, followed by non-playoff teams with more than 6 wins, then playoff teams, etc. They have to put in a bid on the player that consists of a draft pick in the following year's draft. Like, if the Rams wanted this guy they could offer next year's 6th in the hopes that nobody offers a 5th. Or they could offer a 5th hoping nobody offers a 4th. As far as which team wins should their be multiple identical offers, I "assume" it would work like the draft position. Colts, Rams, blah blah blah.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Off of the top of your head do you know what was the highest draft pick ever used in the supplemental draft, and for what player?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I remember Bernie Kosar and Brian Bosworth were 1st round picks in the supplemental in the 80's.

paceram

Pro Bowler
What round do you think Gordon will go in this Supplemental Draft? I would be very surprised to see the Rams select him in the 1st round (or, is he that good?).

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
paceram said:
What round do you think Gordon will go in this Supplemental Draft? I would be very surprised to see the Rams select him in the 1st round (or, is he that good?).
I highly doubt anyone would give up a first round pick on him, even if he has good talent. Jenkins has top 10 talent and lasted till #39. My guess is third or fourth round, but I don't see anyone giving up a first rounder or second rounder for him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
paceram said:
I highly doubt anyone would give up a first round pick on him, even if he has good talent. Jenkins has top 10 talent and lasted till #39. My guess is third or fourth round, but I don't see anyone giving up a first rounder or second rounder for him.
Yeah, definitely not a first. He was projected to be a 2nd rounder had he entered the 2012 draft though, so it will certainly be interesting to see what the offers are. He's a big dude and he can help someone who has a weakness at WR. He may not be an impact right away, but he certainly looks the part and could be a good one in a couple of years.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'd offer a 4th for him. If it works then great, if not, then I'm comfortable with what we got.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
I'd offer a 4th for him. If it works then great, if not, then I'm comfortable with what we got.
A 4th would be considered high, but I'm cool with that too. After all, they have two 1st rounders next year and I'm sure they can parlay one of those into a couple of extra picks if they wanna.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well if he's rated that high, then some team (Raiders) will offer at least a 4th, so if we said 5th or 6th, it might not be enough.

I'm no expert of course.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think we have enough prospects at WR, and not enough proven players, so my vote would be no.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm gonna just say that if Fisher/Snead think highly enough of him to go even with a 2nd or 3rd, I am going to assume they really like him and I will be excited about yet another real weapon on offense. I suspect if they go after him with that lofty of a pick, that also means they believe they can win NOW or at least next season - which of course would just give me another reason to be all geeked-up about the upcoming season(s).

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... pulls-quad

Josh Gordon, NFL draft prospect, reportedly pulls quad

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
Published: July 10, 2012 at 01:21 p.m.
Updated: July 10, 2012 at 07:44 p.m.

The Cleveland Browns were hardly the only team that showed up to watch former Baylor wide receiver Josh Gordon work out on Tuesday in anticipation of Thursday's NFL Supplemental Draft.

Adam Caplan of SiriusXM NFL Radio reports that 21 teams showed up and saw Gordon run a 4.52-second 40-yard dash. While that isn't quite as fast as some pre-draft buzz indicated, it's plenty quick for a 6-foot-3, 224-pound athlete.

Caplan also reported that Gordon had a 36-inch vertical leap and 10-foot-1 broad jump, which are very good numbers.

In the traditional draft process, the Pro Day is not the end-all, be all. It's a little more important for Gordon considering that teams haven't seen him play in 2010. This 40-yard time doesn't figure to increase the early round hype surrounding Gordon, but we doubt that it will hurt his buzz.

At this point, conventional wisdom has Gordon going in the third round.

UPDATE: Caplan later reported that Gordon pulled his left quadriceps during his workout.

Adam Caplan @caplannfl

Josh Gordon pulled his left quadriceps, but was able to finish all routes etc during workout. Didn't drop a pass.

Still not sure how I feel about it. A 5th for sure, but any higher and idk. Like to hear more about him before I develop an opinion.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'd go a 4th on him. Talent wise he's worth it, off the field not sure about that aspect.
So if we did draft him we would go into the season with 3 rookie WR's, Danny A., maybe Salas. then a pick em for the last spot. Other than Amendola there's not much exp. in that group, just upside which isn't a bad thing.

Same build as Quick( 6-4, 220lbs)...and kinda looks like him too.
I found this clip of him
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6R_VKhnpNA[/youtube]

I might spend a 5th on him if he checks out personality-wise.
Wouldn't that be crazy to 6-4 WRs on BOTH sides?!

Just having fun, cuz the NFL Supplemental Draft is this THU.
I have no idea about Gordon or hat kind of WR he is and doubt we'd be interested....
but maybe we should be ! ;)