NFL Scouting Combine Invites 14 Quarterbacks: How They Fared in 2023, ’24 Draft Projections

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Michael Penix interview was very revealing. It is essentially what I've heard about him since last year. He talks about his first reads, what he sees and what he might expect. Then post snap he's still reading the DB's body positioning and knows where he's going with the pass. He's reading the entire field pre-snap as well as post-snap. It might seem like a small thing but most QBs coming out of college can't do that. If he goes to Seattle like I think he will, he might start as a rookie.

I still think Snead might trade with the Chargers #5, TN at #7 or Bears #9 if they are going QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If When Williams, Maye and Daniels are all gone in the top four, there isn’t a QB worth taking at 5,7 or 9.
Fixed
Totally agree and furthermore after the top 3 I wouldn’t take any of the next QB at 19 either

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Michael Penix interview was very revealing. It is essentially what I've heard about him since last year. He talks about his first reads, what he sees and what he might expect. Then post snap he's still reading the DB's body positioning and knows where he's going with the pass. He's reading the entire field pre-snap as well as post-snap. It might seem like a small thing but most QBs coming out of college can't do that. If he goes to Seattle like I think he will, he might start as a rookie.

I still think Snead might trade with the Chargers #5, TN at #7 or Bears #9 if they are going QB.
Just on his playing ability he shouldn't get out of round 1. But teams get stupid with QBs. They overanalyze them at times.

His issue is the medical stuff. But since he's a guy who can win from the pocket I think that is countered to some extent. So I figure he's off the board before pick 15.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Just on his playing ability he shouldn't get out of round 1. But teams get stupid with QBs. They overanalyze them at times.

His issue is the medical stuff. But since he's a guy who can win from the pocket I think that is countered to some extent. So I figure he's off the board before pick 15.
I am starting to think that too. Lately there has been a lot of talk about McCarthy being QB4. I could see the desperate Falcons going for him, Penix, or Nix. Whomever they like best. I'd be happy to see it personally.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am starting to think that too. Lately there has been a lot of talk about McCarthy being QB4. I could see the desperate Falcons going for him, Penix, or Nix. Whomever they like best. I'd be happy to see it personally.
It's crazy to hear teams think McCarthy is better than Penix. With QBs it is of course a crap shoot but when you have such a disparity between two QBs in terms of projecting them to this level it surprises me. Teams never learn man. They did the same shit with Levis last year, where if you turn on his film the dude was a stud who can put the ball down the field. Didn't give him cred for his dip in play being due to injury or loss of his OC, and teams missed out on a guy who is going to be a stud QB1 for the team that took him round 2.

Might be the same thing with Penix if he falls. I'd think it is very likely if that happens. Barring a situation where the kid is a flaming asswipe and we just aren't privy to that stuff. But again teams overnuke that shit. Rodgers was a weird dude, and so was Levis, and there are others like that where teams think "he comes with risk in the locker room" but players don't give a shit about that stuff if the guy can play. Penix can fucking ball. Teams are going to regret passing on this dude IMO. He's a modern day Stabler and I realize this comment might look really stupid if he's an asswipe or gets hurt or otherwise disappoints but the left handedness and the ability to pull out plays at key moments is reminiscent to me of a guy who was also underestimated to some extent.

McCarthy just has to prove a lot more than Penix. That's what it comes down to. The dude had every advantage and they balanced the shit out of that attack to protect him. To me that's a red flag boy. Just like when you take a Bama QB. Some of these guys at lesser schools meanwhile also benefit from getting more heat and learning to adjust to breakdowns, because they're gonna see a ton when they're young in the NFL.