NFL Running Back Resurgence

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I've been thinking about this more and more and I think the NFL is about to see a resurgence of running backs. I have a couple of reasons to think this will happen:

1. For years defenses have been gearing up for these elite passing games. Defenses have started using quicker, smaller linebackers to help cover in space and they mostly play out of the Nickel. Defenses are no longer built to stop an elite running game.

2. The Golden Age of Quarterbacks is coming to an end. Manning has retired and guys like Brees, Brady, Rivers, etc. won't be far behind him. The NFL is starving for quality signal callers these days and they are rare. Look what mediocre guys like Brock Osweiler are getting paid. With a lack of great QBs to go around teams will be forced to run the ball more.

3. Running back talent is at a premium right now. It's almost like the 80s. Last year guys like David Johnson, Thomas Rawls, and Duke Johnson all looked like long term starters for their respective teams. And let's not forget the best of them all, Todd Gurley, who looks like he'll be the best back in the NFL for years to come. This year we have an elite guy in Ezekiel Elliott who will be a workhouse back at the next level. But the biggest class is next year.

4. The 2017 NFL Draft class is STACKED at running back. It's unbelievable. You have Fournette, Chubb, Dalvin Cook, Christian McCaffrey, Sony Michel, Royce Freeman, Samaje Perine, Jalen Hurd, etc. Every one of those backs could end up being starters at the next level. Fournette, Chubb, Cook, and McCaffery are all ELITE players that should be workhorses for the teams that draft them. Each of them will probably be selected in the 1st Round.

What do all you guys think?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The NFL is cyclical. You could be right.

Glad we are on the leading edge if true.

That said; there are some good young QB's that could emerge to carry the torch. I honestly believe Wentz and Goff will be very good. You have Winston and Mariota. Derek Carr, Luck, and of course Rodgers still has plenty of tread.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd like to hear what people think about this graphic, and what it tells them about success or lack thereof.
It's the percentage of passing plays a team has had over the course of the season.

wJjjiEl.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see the Goff v Wentz angle to this thread...

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
I'd like to hear what people think about this graphic, and what it tells them about success or lack thereof.
It's the percentage of passing plays a team has had over the course of the season.

wJjjiEl.jpg

I see the stronger teams are near the bottom and middle...NE is the only perennial/current contender above 60%

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

wJjjiEl.jpg
It appears to me that, with the exception of New England, Generally the more successful teams have a more Balanced attack! right? or wrong?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

wJjjiEl.jpg

it tells me you can win either way. different teams are built different ways and the good ones play to their strengths. there's no hard and fast rule on building a championship team, or even playoff team.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Can't get a QB? Then get RB's, best you can get, big ones. and little fast ones Throw in some O linemen to run block. a real fast twitch FB and stuff it down the other teams throat.
Play in a division with a lot of 3-4 D's then super size the running game and punish the smaller Players.

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
Makes me think about Gurleyman in the commercial wearing the pink tutu. Starting to look hotter all the time!:redcard:

Athos

Legend
I see the stronger teams are near the bottom and middle...NE is the only perennial/current contender above 60%

But what are they doing with the passing plays they are running? That's the more important question. Most of the good teams are racking up passing TDs in far larger quantities than other teams. Also, generally completing them at higher rates.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The best thing we could possibly be on Offense is well balanced. Good and efficient at both the run and pass. Harder to pick out tendencies. Don't let the defense dictate ... and if they do ... make them pay for it. To be a good and consistent winner, you need to be god and efficient at all three phases of the game... or teams will find the crack in your armour and expose you.

Ram65

Legend
2. The Golden Age of Quarterbacks is coming to an end. Manning has retired and guys like Brees, Brady, Rivers, etc. won't be far behind him. The NFL is starving for quality signal callers these days and they are rare. Look what mediocre guys like Brock Osweiler are getting paid. With a lack of great QBs to go around teams will be forced to run the ball more.

I always thought NFL teams need balance. The Patsies with Brady can get away with passing the ball more but not running the ball has hurt them too. It will be interesting to see what happens leading up to the 35 plus QBs leaving the game.

1. For years defenses have been gearing up for these elite passing games. Defenses have started using quicker, smaller linebackers to help cover in space and they mostly play out of the Nickel. Defenses are no longer built to stop an elite running game.

It's a punch counter punch league. The running QB has had success but it's too hard to maintain that over the long haul. I see offenses catching defense off guard with running plays when they are not expecting it. The Redskins caught the Rams off guard and ran the ball right down their throats last year. They went big blockers and ran right at and over the Rams D Line. Like you said smaller LBer and smaller hybrid pass rushers make it easier to run the ball. I could see more running games if these college guys are the real deal. Running backs have a shorter shelf life so you need more than one good one to share the load.

Debacled

Starter

wJjjiEl.jpg

Problem with stats like this is the fact that they are going to be skewed for the most part. Teams that tend to lose a lot will spend more time trying to play catch up....ala passing more. Teams playing with a lead more often than not will be more likely to try and smash the run game.

Good teams will attack how they need to in order to win. They all have their own philosophy, but these guys get paid a lot of money and I tend to think how the season progresses has a bigger impact on run vs pass percentages than philosophy does.