NFL Rumors' Early 2016 Top 25 Free Agents

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
While I like Tru and think he's a solid starter, with the way Gaines played this year and the way Joyner is playing the slot this year, I'd be okay with letting Tru walk. No way in hell does Jenkins play in a different uniform next year.

I'd also cut Cook, Britt, and Safford to free up enough money to try and bring in Jeffrey. The man is a game changer on offense. He's the type of player you still throw to when he's covered. Having a player like that will help Gurley and Tavon. It also gives Foles a way to bail himself out under pressure while the oline continues to grow. Quick is a huge question mark, Britt has peaked at being mediocre, and Bailey doesn't get looks so he's a question mark too. You can't go into next season with mediocrity at the WR position. Pair up our game changing RB with a game changing WR and this offense can explode.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Let Jenks and Tru walk, I don't trust either of those guys and both will probably start coasting as soon as they get paid. Collect the supplemental picks. Sign Jeffery. Rams need to put more into this offense, and can afford it with Foles on a bargain contract for a starting QB. Jeffery moves the chains which is what this offense needs.

CB will be a need in the draft, plain and simple. But that's ok, since the Rams are very good at drafting that position and will have enough picks to bring in what they need.

I rarely find myself in disagreement with you, Merlin. But on this one I do.

Jenkins won't coast after he gets paid. He is a throwback in the sense that he really loves to play the game. Always room for such players if they are highly talented. And he has won me over by plugging the holes in his game. He's a student of the game and a film junkie, always looking for the tiniest advantage against his next opponent. I consider him a top 10 CB already in just his 4th season, and still ascending. I would sign JJ unless he's totally unreasonable in his contract demands. More or less the same with TruJo, but for a lesser price, obviously.

I would pass on Jeffrey, however. Even though we agree that he's a fine receiver. There are reportedly stud WR's in this draft and we have 4 premium picks among the top 80-85. Why not take advantage?

As you well know, our biggest O passing problem is our OL. And to a lesser degree Foles gelling with our various receivers. Both those issues are likely to improve this season as they all play together.

I also see us picking a top TE in this draft. If Foles gels, our OL starts clicking in pass pro, the new WR, TE, Britt, Austin, and Bailey will shine. Hell, maybe even Quick will make a statement in the remaining 10 games demonstrating that he deserves a new contract.

To conclude, I think that S&F are done reaching for the shiny top tier (and extremely expensive) outside FA's. Lesson(s) learned. And besides, I don't think that they consider them a necessary part of our current strategy, anymore.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really don't see Cordy Glenn as even a remote possibility for the Rams as a FA signing. And not because he's not a fine football player.

The Rams are committed to GRob, for better or worse. And frankly, the kid hasn't been given a reasonable chance since he's only started 15 games at LOT.

They clearly like Hav and think he's played well early on in his rookie year.

Plus they seem to like Williams and Battle as backups.

All 4 of the above are inexpensive while Glenn would definitely be anything but.

I suspect that the Ram FO will devote their cap dollars to resigning their own FA starters and quality depth players (Sims and Hayes) before they spend a penny on an outside FA.

Not to mention that they've got 4 premium picks in an upcoming draft that's loaded in the positions that interest them.

My crystal ball says that the days of signing top tier outside FA's are probably over as a general strategy.
I agree with you on the tackles. The people mocking us or predicting us taking an early tackle next year or signing a free agent just make me laugh. GRob has started what 12 games at tackle? Had one off season to really be coached in the position and we all knew he was raw coming out of college. He would have to seriously fall on his face the rest of this year and just tank in order to be replaced. And we already have 2 backup options that they seem to like.

As for free agents I agree and see this FO going forward as prioritizing their own over signing other free agents. And replacing what they can't in the draft.

Rainram

Starter
I think if the growth of our individual players, and team as a whole, continues...We will firmly be entrenched in keeping our guys and building through the draft. I think we'll see very few, if any, major FA signings.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree with you on the tackles. The people mocking us or predicting us taking an early tackle next year or signing a free agent just make me laugh. GRob has started what 12 games at tackle? Had one off season to really be coached in the position and we all knew he was raw coming out of college. He would have to seriously fall on his face the rest of this year and just tank in order to be replaced. And we already have 2 backup options that they seem to like.

As for free agents I agree and see this FO going forward as prioritizing their own over signing other free agents. And replacing what they can't in the draft.

Who was GRob's back up @ OLT? It was our starting ORG until he blew up his other shoulder. Rodger Saffold was our top OLT reserve..so it was not in the plans to have any of our current OT's be that guy. The loss of Saffold & the lack of development @ OLT were the two top issues going into the bye. Brown who was grading out good enough at OLG had to be moved into another post since then Brown has not been as good. Why was this done? GRob otherwise Reynolds would have just went into Saffold's post.

I sure do not see us taking a OT in the future drafts either. Snead has done what appears now to be a great job of stacking our roster with youthful strong healthy OT's. But we have seen very little of our back up rookie OT's thus far. Pre-season for Williams was (y). But its a horse of a different color in regular season as we know. We do have 3 rookies who do have OLT experience in college on our roster. UDFA Williams has been active for only 2 games going into wk 8 & yet to see the field. Same can be said of Andrew Donnal. As we know Battle is on the PS so he has zero. So yes we have invested in our future 2016 & beyond at OLT the real issue is ongoing now. That issue caused Boudreau to make changes to 2 starting positions....jerking Brown from OLG to ORG and insert veteran Reynolds into OLG post to help and assist GRob with his issues with play understanding & communication issues.

So thus far GRob is an issue, an weakness to be exploited by our opponents and they have done so. This OLT issue has yet to be resolved. I am not totally convinced it will be by just game starting experience. So I do agree with you & do not see this Ram Org going after OLT as long as Saffold is under contract. But if that were to happen & the damaged Saffold was released? :thinking:

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I usually agree with man, but not this time. Rookie CBs just don't come in and dominate. JJ and TJ love football. I don't think they will coast.

I agree. They're just too talented to let walk without at least trying to retain them. To try and find an adequate replacement would cost almost as much money as it would to keep them. And they know the system. Just makes more sense to try as hard as you can to sign them longer term.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I still think Josh Gordon will be a very affordable alternative to Jeffery and Fisher is one of the few coaches who can work with a guy like that.

If Gordon cleans up, he's still young enough to be a monster. And because of his issues, he'll be on more than one prove it contract...

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
My 2016 UFA priorities would look something like this below:
#1-CB Jenkins
#2-CB Johnson
#3-DE one of these two (Sims/Hayes)
#4-OC Tim Barnes

I would strongly consider using the following players contracts being released to insure the above were signed:
DE Chris Long
TE Jared Cook
OG Rodger Saffold
MLB- JL (I would work #1 on getting JL back with a new cap friendly contract.)

Bottom line here is the left side OL was an issue, is currently an issue & stands to be an issue from this point on. As far as the commitment to GRob at OLT.....GRob needs to play better to full-fill that commitment. You can plug in Gordy anywhere in that OL. Gordy/Robinson left side would remove the ongoing issues. I would trade that Saffold contract ($32 mil.@ 5 yrs) for a 26 yr old Glenn Gordy contract yesterday. This king size starting OLT/ORT or OLG whatever will demand a big contract between $37 million to 38 mil. Five yr deal with big salary bonus at least approx 7 mil. & with approx 20 mil Guaranteed.

One of the two UFA Rams DE's is sure to be resigned (Sims/Hayes)but I would expect some big changes coming on that Chris Long 14 million plus. You cut CL and you have your $$ to franchise Jenkins in 2016. That would make your 4 player DE cadre look like this:
Quinn
Westbrooks
Longacre
(either Sims/Hayes)

Almost totally agree my shouting distance neighbor. These are the very top highest rated UFA'S . I want just one of the very deep class of wide recievers. One with speed as so many are gonna be free agents some may not be that knowledgeable about , like the 3 WR's the bengals have up as UFA's. WE NEED SPEED and hands and route running ability.

With the proper cuts we will have the $$ to sign all our DB's that our coach's feel are dominant and work the best together. We NEED to add one of the Very Large group of Big pass Rushing DE's. There are over 13-15 that can start for us. Glad their are plenty of 3-4 DE's that other teams will desire over the ones that fit us best. A Tight End scouted by our big crew that can become a real weapon. Won't need to be a 1st or 2nd rounder. Still think we can get one in 3rd round. BPA will always be our #1 pick. Hope he fits a need . Its a shame such a weapon as Tre' Mason has missed all of this season basically injured. We could use him as the eagles use Sproles. He needs to grow his game and be used in more situations as the homerun athlete that he is before he is gone. Tre' GET WELL.

Keeping JL and if Cam Lynch and this years 6th rounder Hager can build up some muscle with his speed he may become a steal and we won't need to use a pick to get MY GUY (REGGIE RAGLAND) LB BAMA. Watch him guys. He is #19 and calls Bama's"D" . Can do it all and having him in the mix with JL,AO ,and our growing youth with Bates will make us much more solid against the run and also Ragland can rush the passer and cover. The more sideline to sideline guys the better. As we are seeing this year an NFL season takes a Major HEALTH toll on your STUD LB's. We need to keep our group deep and let Ayers walk if he does'nt start to give a bigger display of tackles and better coverage. So far not impressed with him or Fairley , BUT they BOTH have 10 games to make me eat crow gladly.

Barron is a Must sign as he is showing his versatility in Williams "D" at 213lb's. Hope he does'nt price himself out of reach knowing he only fits our scheme best. We drafted Mo Alexander to play the Barron role so that may be up to the progress of Maurice then. Really believe Pasat and Longacre will be steals with some Proffessional weightroom and training.

Getting the lower less expensive FA WR's or may see if we can get a new WR coach over Sherman. We need speedy route runner who get seperation EARLY for Nick Foles to read and get rid of. Holding the ball is very bad for Nick mostly. We don't have to have the 6'5" speedsters that cost too much as long as we don't have all smurfs either.

When all decisions are done after FA & Draft our "D" needs to stay top 5 level and our OL will have to be better as the game slows down for everyone eventually. We are stocked with OL and depth too with Wichmann,Battle and Williams to go along with G.Rob,Havenstein,J. Brown. I wish we could draft a True center that is bigger than Rhaney and Barnes is resigned.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
You can't let personality dictate your roster. JJ elite athlete since day one now playing at an elite level. You can't pay good talent elite money than let elite talent walk because you don't want to pay. Expect continued medicrocy if you do.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'd resign Jenkins if I could but no other top name. Most free agents don't live up to their pay check. Just build through the draft.

Agree I'd rather re-sign our guys than most of the guys on this list. Draft some more playmakers.

Alan

Legend
Rams43 looking at just part of the equation:
I really don't see Cordy Glenn as even a remote possibility for the Rams as a FA signing. And not because he's not a fine football player.

The Rams are committed to GRob, for better or worse.

I suspect that the Ram FO will devote their cap dollars to resigning their own FA starters and quality depth players (Sims and Hayes) before they spend a penny on an outside FA.
My crystal ball says that the days of signing top tier outside FA's are probably over as a general strategy.
That's if you look at GR as a LT and not as a G which is where I think his real home is. I'm sure you're right about Glenn probably being very expensive and that we probably won't get into that bidding war.

I expect the same thing. Not only are they all (yes, even McLeod) talented, they know our system.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jenkins won't coast after he gets paid. He is a throwback in the sense that he really loves to play the game. Always room for such players if they are highly talented. And he has won me over by plugging the holes in his game. He's a student of the game and a film junkie, always looking for the tiniest advantage against his next opponent. I consider him a top 10 CB already in just his 4th season, and still ascending. I would sign JJ unless he's totally unreasonable in his contract demands. More or less the same with TruJo, but for a lesser price, obviously.

I would pass on Jeffrey, however. Even though we agree that he's a fine receiver. There are reportedly stud WR's in this draft and we have 4 premium picks among the top 80-85. Why not take advantage?

As you well know, our biggest O passing problem is our OL. And to a lesser degree Foles gelling with our various receivers. Both those issues are likely to improve this season as they all play together.

I also see us picking a top TE in this draft. If Foles gels, our OL starts clicking in pass pro, the new WR, TE, Britt, Austin, and Bailey will shine. Hell, maybe even Quick will make a statement in the remaining 10 games demonstrating that he deserves a new contract.

To conclude, I think that S&F are done reaching for the shiny top tier (and extremely expensive) outside FA's. Lesson(s) learned. And besides, I don't think that they consider them a necessary part of our current strategy, anymore.

It could be that my distrust of Jenks is unfounded. I just don't trust the dude, but the Rams probably do so I presume they will bring him back under threat of the franchise tag if he won't agree to a deal. Problem is what will he do if they tag him? I doubt he'd take that well. So if I had to lay a bet I would agree the Rams will re-sign him. I simply think it is going to prove to be a mistake, hope I'm wrong there too.

Way I see it the offense is the problem. Yes they need a WR badly, but Snead might take another high talent guy who needs 2+ years to translate to the field. And ok, I can concede that maybe he learned from Tavon and Quick, in that it is important to get guys early who can contribute earlier, but I don't trust that the Rams will hit on the WR even if they do go with the position in their first three picks.

Yes a TE could actually transform this offense into what we want to see if they hit on one in the draft. The problem is the TEs in this draft are solid to very good, not sure there's a high end guy in the bunch. Which means I think they can get a guy who blocks well on the line and can catch and that will help, but not a transformational guy.

The single biggest problem for the offense is probably LT. Hopefully that changes but if it doesn't I honestly don't know what they're gonna do. Maybe address it again in the first round and use next season's camps to move GRob inside, going with a rookie + Saffold? Everything is probably gonna spin off of that, but we'll have to wait and see how GRob develops because there is a lot of football left.

This is why the only free agent I really like as a great fit for this team is Jeffery. But of course he'll probably be way overpaid for, so it's unlikely. I would not, for the record, break the bank for him. Again, though, I'm just gonna wait and see how this season plays out. The way existing guys on the roster perform is going to dictate what they do. Way too much football left for us to solidify the offseason right now.