NFL Rumors' Early 2016 Top 25 Free Agents

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
NFLRumors.com just posted their top 25 FA for 2016. Some highlights:
  • J Jenkins comes in at #11 which is the second highest CB behind Josh Norman @ #3
  • Alshon Jeffrey is the highest ranked WR @ #9
  • Eric Berry is the highest ranked safety @ #5
Complete list below.

http://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2016-nfl-free-agents-list/

Here is an early version of our Top 25 – 2016 NFL Free Agents list. We’ll make adjustments to the list as the rest of the season plays out to show who is improving or hurting their free agent stock.

Top 25 – 2016 NFL Free Agents
Rank
Player Pos. Age Team
. Von Miller 3-4 OLB 27 DEN
2. Muhammad Wilkerson 3-4 DE 26 NYJ
3. Josh Norman CB 27 CAR
4. Greg Hardy 4-3 DE 28 DAL
5. Eric Berry S 26 KC
6. Jason Pierre Paul 4-3 DE 27 NYG
7. Cordy Glenn OT 26 BUF
8. Kelechi Osemele G 27 BAL
9. Alshon Jeffery WR 26 CHI
10. Olivier Vernon 4-3 DE 25 MIA
11. Janoris Jenkins CB 26 STL
12. Eric Weddle S 31 SD
13. Mike Daniels 3-4 DE 27 GB
14. Matt Forte RB 30 CHI
15. Lamar Miller RB 25 MIA
16. Derrick Johnson ILB 32 KC
17. Malik Jackson 3-4 DE 26 DEN
18. Mitchell Schwartz OT 27 CLE
19. Brandon Brooks G 27 HOU
20. Doug Martin RB 27 TB
21. Danny Trevathan ILB 26 DEN
22. Tashaun Gipson S 25 CLE
23. Haloti Ngata DT 32 DET
24. Russell Okung OT 27 SEA
25. Prince Amukamara CB 27 NYG

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I'd resign Jenkins if I could but no other top name. Most free agents don't live up to their pay check. Just build through the draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jenkins could be tagged at what will be in the neighbourhood of $12MM.

12 more games this year, plus playoffs :sneaky:. 16 games plus playoffs next year. That's a lot of games without a signing bonus.

Certainly sounds like motivation to get a deal done.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Lets go get Cordy Glenn and Alshon Jeffrey...Resign JJ and I'm grinning ear to ear

fearsomefour

Legend
Lets go get Cordy Glenn and Alshon Jeffrey...Resign JJ and I'm grinning ear to ear
Cutting Cook and Britt frees up about $10M in cap space, if the Rams could use that to go get Jeffrey Im good with that. Nothing would make me happier than adding Glenn at LT and moving Robinson to LG.
But the Rams have a lot of priority resigns....JJ, Johnson, Barron, Barnes, Hayes and so it goes. Even with $38M in cap space now and with more money available if they cut guys (Cook, Britt, Saffold free up about $13M) it would be tough to resign all the guys I (for what that is worth) think they should and bring in any high prices FA. I would love to get these two guys though.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We know what we have with Jenkins..they say the first priority is to re-sign your own before getting someone else's player...I know of some other teams fans that are salivating over Jenkins..Eff them, they aren't getting him!:boxing:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Resign our own with a priority on Jenkins and Brockers. Next tier would be Barron, McLeod, Johnson, Harkey and Zuerlein. Justice Cunningham and Christian Bryant are ERFA who will be brought back on the cheap.

Athos

Legend
If we only signed 1 outside FA, if make it Jeffery and I'd be like a kid on a white Christmas morn. That's all predicated on if we draft a WR or not tho.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd go Alshon as a priority and then look at Glenn if Robinson can't figure things out by the end of the season.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Outside of JJ no one on this list interests me one little bit!!:burp:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I always hear talk of us having signed FA's in the past only to have over paid for a player that doesn't work out.
I don't believe our past experiences in the FA market give a fair assessment of the potential value of a Free Agent.
Yes the FA market has became an overpriced lottery of late.
Now this is my take on our past approach with FA's. We went after an OL Jake Long with a history of injury issues, Jared Cook was nabbed as a Potential guy with athletic ability and minimum production, D Joseph a guy who's productive year (s) were behind him Etc....
If you dip into Free Agency looking for a contributor, a starter you need to be very committed, not cheap and not desperate. Grabbing a first time FA like for ex: JJ one without a history of injury and a track record of production may cost a pretty penny but should be a minimal risk acquisition.
So be deliberate, some years their are not viable candidates at the position you may be of need but to ignore the market can set you back. The structure of the league promotes economical solutions through the draft and then the tide turns. Based on merit FA's of proven production or even promise become expensive, however to ignore or misuse a talent pool like the one offered by Free Agency is a mistake IMO

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I really don't see Cordy Glenn as even a remote possibility for the Rams as a FA signing. And not because he's not a fine football player.

The Rams are committed to GRob, for better or worse. And frankly, the kid hasn't been given a reasonable chance since he's only started 15 games at LOT.

They clearly like Hav and think he's played well early on in his rookie year.

Plus they seem to like Williams and Battle as backups.

All 4 of the above are inexpensive while Glenn would definitely be anything but.

I suspect that the Ram FO will devote their cap dollars to resigning their own FA starters and quality depth players (Sims and Hayes) before they spend a penny on an outside FA.

Not to mention that they've got 4 premium picks in an upcoming draft that's loaded in the positions that interest them.

My crystal ball says that the days of signing top tier outside FA's are probably over as a general strategy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My 2016 UFA priorities would look something like this below:
#1-CB Jenkins
#2-CB Johnson
#3-DE one of these two (Sims/Hayes)
#4-OC Tim Barnes

I would strongly consider using the following players contracts being released to insure the above were signed:
DE Chris Long
TE Jared Cook
OG Rodger Saffold
MLB- JL (I would work #1 on getting JL back with a new cap friendly contract.)

Bottom line here is the left side OL was an issue, is currently an issue & stands to be an issue from this point on. As far as the commitment to GRob at OLT.....GRob needs to play better to full-fill that commitment. You can plug in Gordy anywhere in that OL. Gordy/Robinson left side would remove the ongoing issues. I would trade that Saffold contract ($32 mil.@ 5 yrs) for a 26 yr old Glenn Gordy contract yesterday. This king size starting OLT/ORT or OLG whatever will demand a big contract between $37 million to 38 mil. Five yr deal with big salary bonus at least approx 7 mil. & with approx 20 mil Guaranteed.

One of the two UFA Rams DE's is sure to be resigned (Sims/Hayes)but I would expect some big changes coming on that Chris Long 14 million plus. You cut CL and you have your $$ to franchise Jenkins in 2016. That would make your 4 player DE cadre look like this:
Quinn
Westbrooks
Longacre
(either Sims/Hayes)

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Let Jenks and Tru walk, I don't trust either of those guys and both will probably start coasting as soon as they get paid. Collect the supplemental picks. Sign Jeffery. Rams need to put more into this offense, and can afford it with Foles on a bargain contract for a starting QB. Jeffery moves the chains which is what this offense needs.

CB will be a need in the draft, plain and simple. But that's ok, since the Rams are very good at drafting that position and will have enough picks to bring in what they need.

lockdnram21

Legend
Let Jenks and Tru walk, I don't trust either of those guys and both will probably start coasting as soon as they get paid. Collect the supplemental picks. Sign Jeffery. Rams need to put more into this offense, and can afford it with Foles on a bargain contract for a starting QB. Jeffery moves the chains which is what this offense needs.

CB will be a need in the draft, plain and simple. But that's ok, since the Rams are very good at drafting that position and will have enough picks to bring in what they need.
Lock down cb dont come often we got 1 and we shouldnt loose him. we add jeffery and loose jenkins then our defense will suffer. Want have anybody to cover #1 receivers. Gaines, Tru, or Roberson cant cover them. Would rather resign Jenkins and draft a receiver. Also if line and Foles dont get better doesnt matter who the receivers are

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

I usually agree with man, but not this time. Rookie CBs just don't come in and dominate. JJ and TJ love football. I don't think they will coast.