NFL rules geared to the "O"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
All of us old timers know the NFL has tweaked the rules over the past 20 or so years to make the NFL the high scoring QB driven league it has become.

Just some of the changes are....
O linemen allowed to hold and use their hands.
No more hitting a defenseless receiver.
Protecting the QB.

Have they gone to far? Are they going to far?

Personally for me they the "NFL" needs to allow the "D" a little more level playing field.

Of course I understand the game will evolve over time.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I like all the scoring East. I also like protecting players. Good D's still seem to do OK even with the rule changes.

The only thing I don't like about it, and I hesitate to use the word "like", is that it's now impossible to compare QB's of today to those of yesterday. NFL records are kind of meaningless today.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
The one thing they did for the D years ago was let it knock receivers ob before they could land inbound! Other than that it 's all been offense driven! So your point is well taken.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
I like all the scoring East. I also like protecting players. Good D's still seem to do OK even with the rule changes.

The only thing I don't like about it, and I hesitate to use the word "like", is that it's now impossible to compare QB's of today to those of yesterday. NFL records are kind of meaningless today.

Yea. I like the players protected. As in blows to the head area..

I just believe that Coaches could do the job instead of the Rules by not sending out 5 Wr's and keeping some blockers in to block.

Kinda like if you don't want the rock'em sock'em safety to knock your Wr out. Then don't send his arse over the middle.

I dunno. Catch 22

fearsomefour

Legend
I cant imagine QBs having years like Brady had a few years back and Brees had last year if CBs were allowed contact down the field like they used to and lineman had block without grabbing. Its all a balancing act to me. I dont think scoring for the sake of scoring is exciting....heck, just start out at 20-20 instead of 0-0, wasnt that exciting?
The problem I have with the QB protection rules are how unevenly they are enforced. Rogers and Brady are going to get calls that a rookie is not. The rest of the QB stuff is fine.
It will be interesting how for the NFL allows regs to influence the game by going outside of how the rules are written with this latest spat of running QBs. Harbaugh hardly had Kap run vs. Green Bay. First, I think he realized Colin has progressed as a passer. Secondly I think he realized that he loses an advantage having a big strong armed QB running around getting drilled. As soon as he turns to hand off/pull the ball back that QB is a runner, even if he is in the pocket, there is no extra protection afforded him. Hopefully the NFL plays this one by the rules.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The crazy thing to me is why would anyone want to play "D" with the fines you can get? Play O and unless you do something really stupid, almost no fines. I guess you have to love what you do. The "D" guys love to bring the wood.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Offense brings crowds. The NHL is trying to do the same thing by trying to up the offense. Shortening goalie pads, etc. It's all designed to bring in the casual fan, since casual fans don't appreciate good defensive battles.

It's a shame, but that's just how it is.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's not like offenses are scoring 40+ week in and out like college.

Most of the scores are in the mid to low 30s.

Defense still has an impact.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It's all relative to me. Scoring more just means less if it's easier to do.

I've never understood the value of promoting higher scoring games in any sport. Player safety is one thing, but I think they often go too far to promote skill players.

OT: I've always loved the idea of smaller, but more protective pads for hockey goalies as I think they just got out of control in that regard. Taking the leg pads for example, they're way too wide for what they need to be and they cover nothing in the back, plus I've always wanted something more flexible at the top with better knee protection. And the stylish masks are just horrible for that. I'd rather play with a full cage helmet any day for the protection in the back alone. Anyone who thinks that's silly has never found himself recovering from a save spinning around and hearing the puck whiz by their head.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have mixed feelings about it. I think some of the rules are becoming too subjective and allow for too wide of a variation in interpretations. The problem I see is that while both offensive and defensive players are getting faster and/or stronger, the damage to a player would generally be inflicted by a player on defense. So in that vein, I think many of the protections that have been put in place, not only preserve the health of the offensive player, but also maintain a high end product.

I think things like the tuck rule for example were hideous rules. Protect the QB? Fine. But when the D gets there and forces what to everyone watching is an obvious fumble, you HAVE to reward the defense for making the play. That was bad for the integrity of the game.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You know come think of it. Soccer would be helped tremendously if they played with 2 balls at a time!

Scoring would be way up!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
It would still be soccer.

Yeah - they'd still be flopping all over the place when someone touches them only then you might get two goals in a game instead of one. meh.