NFL rookie projections: Will Goff live up to the hype?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I just posted his projections for Goff & Wentz. There are 8 other offensive and 10 defensive projects in the article. I could live with Goff's.
**********************************************************************************************************
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ions-will-ezekiel-elliott-live-up-to-the-hype

NFL rookie projections: Will Ezekiel Elliott live up to the hype?

• bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
  • By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL Media analyst
  • Published: June 6, 2016 at 05:29 p.m.

Coaches and scouts attempt to downplay the expected potential of rookies during OTAs and minicamps, but even astute evaluators have high hopes for their team's top picks when the regular season rolls around. With mandatory minicamps providing most teams with their final look at first-year players until training camps begin in July, now is a great time to examine how 10 of the top rookies could perform in Year 1.

Jared Goff, QB, Los Angeles Rams

No. 1 overall pick, Round 1, Cal

Best-case scenario: The Rams ease their franchise quarterback into the role by relying heavily on Todd Gurley to carry the offensive load. The 2015 Offensive Rookie of the Year sets the table for the offense with his electric running skills, which forces opponents to use eight-man boxes (or seven-man fronts against one-back sets) to slow down the Rams' new shotgun-heavy attack. With the team featuring a number of quick-rhythm pass concepts designed to get the ball out of Goff's hands quickly, the one-on-one matchups created by Gurley's presence could help the rookie get off to a fast start in Hollywood as he quickly develops a strong rapport with Tavon Austin and Kenny Britt in the passing game.

Worst-case scenario: Despite the Rams' best intentions to build an offense around their star running back, the stout defenses in the NFC West make it impossible for the team to contend for the postseason without strong play from their first-year signal caller. Defensive coordinators not only stack the line on early downs to neutralize Gurley, but they attack the rookie passer with a barrage of blitzes and exotic looks that test his judgment under duress. Goff is unable to punish opponents with accurate throws against the blitz, resulting in the Rams' playoff drought extending for another season.

My projection: 3,300 passing yards, 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

Carson Wentz, QB, Philadelphia Eagles

No. 2. overall pick, Round 1, North Dakota State

Best-case scenario: The Eagles allow Wentz to sit behind a pair of veterans to learn the nuances of the game from the sidelines. The red-shirt season provides the rookie with an opportunity to master the playbook without the pressure of having to perform at a high level as a first-year starter. Most importantly, the patient approach affords head coach Doug Pederson and his staff with enough time to craft a long-term game plan that sets up Wentz for success when he eventually steps onto the field as the team's starting quarterback in 2017.

Worst-case scenario: The disappointing play of Sam Bradford and/or Chase Daniel forces the Eaglesto scrap their red-shirt plans for their rookie passer. Wentz steps into the lineup following the team's Week 4 bye to lead an offense desperate for a spark at the quarterback position. The 6-foot-5, 237-pounder flashes big-time talent and playmaking ability, but his transition from small school standout to NFL starter is littered with costly mistakes and turnovers against the stellar defenses in the NFC.

My projection: 2,300 passing yards, 14 touchdowns and 11 interceptions; 300 rushing yards and four scores.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'd be very happy, if Goff averaged over 200 yds a game and threw 19 tds and only 11 picks.

That would be a solid season for a rookie qb.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Despite the Rams' best intentions to build an offense around their star running back, the stout defenses in the NFC West make it impossible for the team to contend for the postseason without strong play from their first-year signal caller.

Uhhhh, what?

If the Rams were as good outside of the NFC west as they are inside, they would have made several post seasons under Fisher.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'd be very happy, if Goff averaged over 200 yds a game and threw 19 tds and only 11 picks.

That would be a solid season for a rookie qb.

Historically, that seems pretty reasonable. It would be about as good as I would expect from CK, all things considered, which is why I'm not concerned who starts game one if Goff needs time.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Goff's best skill is being able to move around in the pocket and making throws under pressure, he did it his whole career at Cal. I think that's why the team gave up so much to draft him, if he can sustain long drives and keep the defense off of the field , that would be a hug step. Hekker was on the field way too much last year, I think Goff seems very cool and the team is not putting too much pressure on him to carry the offense, he just needs to convert on 3rd down and this team will be dangerous.

jap

Legend
I'll guess 3,650 tds. 64% 26 tds 12 ints. In the running for ROY.

Yep! Snisher need to have that trifecta: three straight Rookie of the Year winners---representing not only their research & vision of how those players translate into their team's schemes but also the astute coaching and rookie dedication to their craft that followed and allowed the players to develop so well.

Last edited: