NFL Players Furious Over Potential 'Hip-Drop Tackle' Ban

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

NFL Players Furious Over Potential 'Hip-Drop Tackle' Ban​

Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL’s chief medical officer, announced on Friday that a discussion will be had this offseason about the "hip-drop tackle."

This type of tackle occurs when the defender grabs the ball carrier from behind and pulls them down while dropping their own body weight to the ground. This type of tackle resulted in Cowboys running back Tony Pollard suffering a serious ankle injury.

The "hip-drop tackle" was banned by the National Rugby League in Australia.

Although the NFL is trying to enforce safety, it's pretty evident the players think this tackle should be allowed to stay.

Jevon Holland of the Dolphins said, "It's getting outta hand now."

View: https://twitter.com/HollywoodVon/status/1621944549043052544?s=20&t=GDr5D7llnIaG5xoorJqy8g

"Absolutely ridiculous," Trent Taylor of the Bengals said.

View: https://twitter.com/Trent5Taylor/status/1621953490959433729?s=20&t=atMTgcFNu34gQeLul_T6Ug

Adrian Amos of the Packers tweeted, "they about to have us getting dragged down the field like we trying to tackle Spike from the Little Giants."

View: https://twitter.com/_SmashAmos31/status/1621933930315218944?s=20&t=99yb0cNaiev02vNZaBxaGw

Richard Sherman believes banning the "hip-drop tackle" would be overkill.

"A desperation wrap up trying to prevent a ball carrier from gaining extra yards," Sherman tweeted. "There isn't one player saying 'hey I’m about to drop my weight on his ankle when I tackle him.' Defense is Hard enough with the rules about roughing the QB and interference. This would be overkill."

View: https://twitter.com/RSherman_25/status/1621929152000720897?s=20&t=cuo98DXH7IRmlDuWgt0r2w

Playing defense in the NFL is already hard enough. Banning this tackle would put them in an even more difficult spot.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFL players have no idea about tackling. That's such a dirty play and everyone was blowing up here every time some loser made that tackle in the nrl. I'll never understand why nfl teams don't hire rugby league coaches to teach their players how to tackle properly.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
NFL players have no idea about tackling. That's such a dirty play and everyone was blowing up here every time some loser made that tackle in the nrl. I'll never understand why nfl teams don't hire rugby league coaches to teach their players how to tackle properly.
How is it dirty? AD uses it a lot. If you catch someone from behind there aren’t a lot of options to bring them down without going low, which risks knees and ankles.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Think Sherm has this one right.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I love football, but with bad officiating, stupid rules and diva players its getting to be not much fun anymore.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
It's fuckin football. It's physical, violent and injuries are going to happen.

These rules need to stop.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Going to have to disagree with you here brother, most of the time players are just trying to make a tackle, nobody is thinking about doing anything dirty IMHO, just trying to get the guy on the ground. Concur with @Merlin & Richard Sherman on this.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
We need Jack Lambert to show up with his "put skirts on them" talk.
Its a rough sport that has been neutered enough. Back in Jacks day you could beat the receivers up all along their route. And they still got 1000 yards.
In 12-14 games.