NFL Parity? Not! Your Division is your Destiny

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Big Unit

UDFA
The NFL is supposed to be a "parity" league. Bull! Please - put us in the NFC or AFC South divisions; the Rams would be in the playoffs. I've decided that 4 teams per division simply isn't enough to rule out luck of the draw.

A sub-.500 team will likely win the NFC South; and Indianapolis had as much chance of losing to Jacksonville as Alabama has of losing to a team in the SEC East. And they play them twice a year, every year? Same with Tennessee and Houston? Give me some of that!

Parity is supposed to even things out. As is, too many good teams miss the playoffs; too many mediocre teams make it. And we all know who's who, even before the season starts.

theduke

Rookie
Camp Reporter
This is true; however, we didn't really take advantage when we could have...so, we can't really complain now that the NFC West is so strong. After all, we sent a 7-9 team to the playoffs, with a home game, no less!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Like Duke said, we had some of that and didn't take advantage. Also we have beat of division. Our issue is winning games we should win like today, Dallas and Minnesota to name a few.

Big Unit

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like Duke said, we had some of that and didn't take advantage. Also we have beat of division. Our issue is winning games we should win like today, Dallas and Minnesota to name a few.
Agreed; our own fault that we haven't played our hand properly; nobody's fault but our own.

But we beat Indianapolis last year 38-8; beat Denver last week 22-7. Guess I'm less disgruntled that the Rams have a tough row to hoe, than that these are two perennial "elite" teams - almost guaranteed to make the playoffs by just showing up. That's not parity.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The NFL is supposed to be a "parity" league. Bull! Please - put us in the NFC or AFC South divisions; the Rams would be in the playoffs. I've decided that 4 teams per division simply isn't enough to rule out luck of the draw.

A sub-.500 team will likely win the NFC South; and Indianapolis had as much chance of losing to Jacksonville as Alabama has of losing to a team in the SEC East. And they play them twice a year, every year? Same with Tennessee and Houston? Give me some of that!

Parity is supposed to even things out. As is, too many good teams miss the playoffs; too many mediocre teams make it. And we all know who's who, even before the season starts.

This is true; however, we didn't really take advantage when we could have...so, we can't really complain now that the NFC West is so strong. After all, we sent a 7-9 team to the playoffs, with a home game, no less!
You guys need avatars :)

wmc540

Pro Bowler
The window is closing for the 49ers at least. I don't believe there is much long term talent left on that team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL is cyclical. The NFCW was on the bottom only a few years ago. It'll be on the bottom again eventually.

Sappy113

Rookie
The NFL is cyclical. The NFCW was on the bottom only a few years ago. It'll be on the bottom again eventually.

Well, there are SOME constants. Like the Rams being placed at number 4 in said division :)

Big Unit

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, there are SOME constants. Like the Rams being placed at number 4 in said division :)
True, it's cyclical; but some teams are bad, and have been bad for years. Example: Apart from the Colts, the combined record of the other three teams in the AFC South is 8-25 (Texans 5-6; Titans 2-9; Jaguars 1-10). There has to be some more equitable way of determining playoff teams than 4 Division champs.

I'm glad the Rams are in a tough Division, though. No desire to be a regular, but mediocre, playoff team; we have larger goals.

Sappy113

Rookie
True, it's cyclical; but some teams are bad, and have been bad for years. Example: Apart from the Colts, the combined record of the other three teams in the AFC South is 8-25 (Texans 5-6; Titans 2-9; Jaguars 1-10). There has to be some more equitable way of determining playoff teams than 4 Division champs.

A similar discussion was up when Seahawks got in with 7-9, and I still think it works with an automatic spot for winning your division, even if it is a bad one. There has to be a carrot. Other than that, I suspect the NFL wants to keep it as simple as possible for the sake of mass appeal, so they're unlikely to set up a new seeding system, based on division strength and so on.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Agreed; our own fault that we haven't played our hand properly; nobody's fault but our own.

But we beat Indianapolis last year 38-8; beat Denver last week 22-7. Guess I'm less disgruntled that the Rams have a tough row to hoe, than that these are two perennial "elite" teams - almost guaranteed to make the playoffs by just showing up. That's not parity.

Your right and I share your frustration lol.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I recently read an article supporting a 6 division league. At first I scoffed at it...but the more I thought about it I see the reasoning and really like the idea.

For one, with only 6 of your games being in the division, the "winner" of this division is nothing more than your record that is largely based on your record OUTSIDE of your division...well, what the heck is the point of a division champion then? If we went back to the 6 division format you'd have the majority of your games in the division. Granted, it isn't a perfect scenario as you'd have different numbers of teams in some divisions...but that happened before when we had an odd number of teams in the league.

I don't know what a perfect scenario is, but I think eventually the league needs to look at changing a few things. Teams with losing records don't belong in the playoffs.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I'd be miffed about this if the Rams reached 10-6 and missed the playoffs while some NFC-S team got in with a 7-9 record. But the Rams are 4-7 now, so that's not top of mind for me. I'm more concerned about finding the Rams a capable QB and the refs finally admitting to accepting bribes.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I'm glad the Rams are in a tough Division, though. No desire to be a regular, but mediocre, playoff team; we have larger goals.

After the last 10 years being a mediocre playoff team sounds much better than being a poorly disciplined team who specializes in moral victories. In order to meet the largest goal, we actually have to come close to meeting the smallest one.