NFL owners expected to vote on shortening OT from 15 to 10 minutes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19403275/nfl-owners-vote-proposal-reduce-ot-15-10-minutes

NFL owners are expected to vote on a proposal next week that would reduce overtime from 15 to 10 minutes during regular-season games.

Owners had tabled the proposal after discussing it in March with the expectation that they would vote and approve it at the spring meeting, scheduled to take place next Monday through Wednesday in Chicago.

According to NFL Network, the league is also mulling a change that would allow two players per team to return from injured reserve each year, up from one as the rule currently stands.

Owners debated the overtime proposal during meetings in Phoenix in March but tabled it for further discussion. The idea is designed to limit the number of additional snaps players are exposed to when games go to an extra period. Last season there were six overtime games in which the extra period lasted more than 10 minutes -- the second-highest total in NFL history.

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh said at the time that it is "really a competitive disadvantage" for a team to play close to the full 15-minute overtime period. In theory, players are less rested than their next opponent. There has been some concern that a 10-minute overtime would lead to more ties, but that potential increase has not dissuaded proponents of the change.

Meanwhile, the league currently allows teams to bring one player back from injured reserve per season, after a minimum of eight weeks on the sidelines. At that moment, any remaining players on the injured list are ineligible to return that season. The proposed change would allow two players to return after an eight-week absence.

tempests

Hall of Fame
75% of OTs are decided within ten minutes, probably won't make much of a difference.

A few more ties, but maybe we see a little more urgency or aggressive play calling too.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
This league is full of pussies. You're worried about a competitive disadvantage because of not being rested? It's fucking football man! Overtime is part of the game! If you're so worried about that, then just tell your defense to let the other team score so you can go home and rest. Make sure to take your pacifier and blankie with you too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't like it, dislike ties which is like kissing your sister unless you reside in the State of West Virginia.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19403275/nfl-owners-vote-proposal-reduce-ot-15-10-minutes

NFL owners are expected to vote on a proposal next week that would reduce overtime from 15 to 10 minutes during regular-season games.

Owners had tabled the proposal after discussing it in March with the expectation that they would vote and approve it at the spring meeting, scheduled to take place next Monday through Wednesday in Chicago.

According to NFL Network, the league is also mulling a change that would allow two players per team to return from injured reserve each year, up from one as the rule currently stands.

Owners debated the overtime proposal during meetings in Phoenix in March but tabled it for further discussion. The idea is designed to limit the number of additional snaps players are exposed to when games go to an extra period. Last season there were six overtime games in which the extra period lasted more than 10 minutes -- the second-highest total in NFL history.

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh said at the time that it is "really a competitive disadvantage" for a team to play close to the full 15-minute overtime period. In theory, players are less rested than their next opponent. There has been some concern that a 10-minute overtime would lead to more ties, but that potential increase has not dissuaded proponents of the change.

Meanwhile, the league currently allows teams to bring one player back from injured reserve per season, after a minimum of eight weeks on the sidelines. At that moment, any remaining players on the injured list are ineligible to return that season. The proposed change would allow two players to return after an eight-week absence.
I really Like the idea that they would allow more the one player on IR to return to play in a Season. But I don't see any really good reason to change the OT time! JMHO!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm okay with this, more ties don't really matter. If you want to win, then try harder. Also, why not eliminating OT altogether in the preseason?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be fine with 10 minutes if both teams got 1 possession. I hate the "score a TD and win" that we have today.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I like the idea of expanding the IR return to two players.

A55VA6

Legend
It's not a huge change considering the amount of OT games there is in a season and how many of them last over 10 minutes... but still.. I HATE ties in sports and this could possibly increase the amount of ties we see.

Ram65

Legend
All this over 6 games out of 256 regular season games over 17 weeks. That about 2.34 % of games that go over 10 minutes. Win the game in regulation time and it won't be a problem.

Why not let another IR player play when ready?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Meanwhile in MLB they still play all night just to break a tie even though they play 162 reg season games :dizzy:

I like that the NFL is open to looking at changes but it's gotten a bit ridiculous.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Concerned about being tired? How about expanding the rosters to 55 and letting them all dress come game day. And just go to the college OT format and get it over with already!!!!!!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
How about no time limit but no punts either?

Or, no time limit, no punts, and 16 players per side?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'd be OK with eliminating kick-offs & punts in OT with the offenses starting on the 50 yard line. If you score or not, when you run out of downs, opposition starts on the 50. Still, both teams would get equal opportunities & full allotment of minutes to score. Shorten the extension with no quarterly break prior to OT. jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Drew Brees doesn't like OT change.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Reminded me of an old joke Den,

Where do Hillbillies go to find a spouse?

Family reunion.