NFL Owes St. Louis Rams an Apology … and More

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.rantsports.com/st-louis-rams ... -and-more/

roger_goodell.jpg

Steve Mitchell-US PRESSWIRE

New Orleans Saints fans’ ire toward NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is misguided. It’s the St. Louis Rams fans who should be demanding Goodell’s business suit on a platter.

This is what we heard on Jan. 16, 2012: The St. Louis Rams have hired Gregg Williams as their new defensive coordinator.

This is what we should have heard that day: The NFL has blocked the Rams’ hiring of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams pending an investigation into a possible illegal practice by Williams.

The troubling part of the NFL investigation into the Saints’ bounty program that allegedly took place from 2009-11 is that the league had to have known that Williams was at least part of the investigation long before the Rams hired him on Jan. 16.

So now, an innocent franchise is being punished because the NFL didn’t say a word. Whether the league needed to wait to make a bigger impact or had some other reason, that doesn’t justify its silence when Rams coach Jeff Fisher made the move.

Even a behind-closed-doors “buyer-beware” message would’ve been nice.

Now, Fisher and the Rams are scrambling to make up for the loss of Williams. Fisher has said the Rams likely will have to cover Williams’ duties in house partly because of the uncertainty of the length of Williams’ “indefinite” suspension.

St. Louis, one of the franchises that needs all the help it can get, may be short-handed during the 2012 season.

Fisher has taken the high road on the matter, saying the Rams organization understood the NFL’s decision and would proceed accordingly. He or someone higher in the St. Louis organization should’ve burned that road and demanded compensation from the NFL.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
http://www.rantsports.com/st-louis-rams/2012/03/30/nfl-owes-st-louis-rams-an-apology-and-more/

roger_goodell.jpg

Steve Mitchell-US PRESSWIRE

New Orleans Saints fans’ ire toward NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is misguided. It’s the St. Louis Rams fans who should be demanding Goodell’s business suit on a platter.

This is what we heard on Jan. 16, 2012: The St. Louis Rams have hired Gregg Williams as their new defensive coordinator.

This is what we should have heard that day: The NFL has blocked the Rams’ hiring of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams pending an investigation into a possible illegal practice by Williams.

The troubling part of the NFL investigation into the Saints’ bounty program that allegedly took place from 2009-11 is that the league had to have known that Williams was at least part of the investigation long before the Rams hired him on Jan. 16.

So now, an innocent franchise is being punished because the NFL didn’t say a word. Whether the league needed to wait to make a bigger impact or had some other reason, that doesn’t justify its silence when Rams coach Jeff Fisher made the move.

Even a behind-closed-doors “buyer-beware” message would’ve been nice.

Now, Fisher and the Rams are scrambling to make up for the loss of Williams. Fisher has said the Rams likely will have to cover Williams’ duties in house partly because of the uncertainty of the length of Williams’ “indefinite” suspension.

St. Louis, one of the franchises that needs all the help it can get, may be short-handed during the 2012 season.

Fisher has taken the high road on the matter, saying the Rams organization understood the NFL’s decision and would proceed accordingly. He or someone higher in the St. Louis organization should’ve burned that road and demanded compensation from the NFL.

Unfortunately it will never happen. Goodell doesn't give two shits about the Rams. I think the NFL is still pissed over the way Georgia and Shaw orchestrated the move but that is probably fodder for a different discussion.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
At least someone finally said it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
DR RAM said:
At least someone in the so-called establishment media. Fanbase was all over this one.

Maybe its time for a fan-initiated petition to Goodell's office?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Re:

interference said:
DR RAM said:
At least someone in the so-called establishment media. Fanbase was all over this one.

That's what I meant. :what:
I would sign it.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I could never understand how the NFL could in good conscience let the Rams pursue and HIRE Gregg Williams when they (the NFL!) knew he was under investigation and could face suspension! I agree that the NFL owes the Rams an apology but I am NOT holding my breath!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
DR RAM said:
interference said:
DR RAM said:

I would sign it.
X, would ROD be interested in initiating a petition. Could be good PR for the site... not sure u would want it, tho.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re:

interference said:
DR RAM said:
interference said:
DR RAM said:

I would sign it.
X, would ROD be interested in initiating a petition. Could be good PR for the site... not sure u would want it, tho.
You know I don't shy away from controversy. My only question would be, "to what end?"

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Re: Re:

X said:
interference said:
DR RAM said:
interference said:
DR RAM said:

I would sign it.
You know I don't shy away from controversy. My only question would be, "to what end?"
Good point, but it might make us feel better

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
interference said:
DR RAM said:
interference said:
DR RAM said:

I would sign it.
Perhaps the end is just some good PR for ROD and Ram fans, in general.

Also, I'm kinda tired of the NFL establishment abusing the Rams. So, perhaps this might be a small attempt to tell them that we know that they dump on us, and we dont like it. It's what the Rams' FO would probably like to say, but can't.

On a side note, it's could grow to be a PR tiny thorn in the side of Goodell and his billion dollar PR machine.

And finally, while I've never read the master franchise agreement between the NFL and its franchisees (teams), I wonder if Goodell's failure to act (by notifying the Rams of impending serious action against Williams), could be viewed as a material breach of contract with legal damages due to Rams. One party simply can't keep secret (from the other party) pending action that would damage that party (ie franchisee). Hence, I betcha the Rams have legal recourse, that they most likely will never pursue.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm making one now.

Question: What is the subject of the petition email going to be?

"What the hell, Goodell"? :sly:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Re:

interference said:
X said:
interference said:
DR RAM said:
interference said:
DR RAM said:

I would sign it.
Perhaps the end is just some good PR for ROD and Ram fans, in general.

Also, I'm kinda tired of the NFL establishment abusing the Rams. So, perhaps this might be a small attempt to tell them that we know that they dump on us, and we dont like it. It's what the Rams' FO would probably like to say, but can't.

On a side note, it's could grow to be a PR tiny thorn in the side of Goodell and his billion dollar PR machine.

And finally, while I've never read the master franchise agreement between the NFL and its franchisees (teams), I wonder if Goodell's failure to act (by notifying the Rams of impending serious action against Williams), could be viewed as a material breach of contract with legal damages due to Rams. One party simply can't keep secret (from the other party) pending action that would damage that party (ie franchisee). Hence, I betcha the Rams have legal recourse, that they most likely will never pursue.
I can imagine 3 scenarios evolving from a carefully written petition that does not involve the Rams themselves, if the petition gets to a viral stage (meaning that it gets exposure from a few media pundits) ...

The NFL and Goodell ignores it. This is the most likely.

One of Goodell's media lackeys puts it out that they did inform the Rams. Less likely, but if it wasn't true would/could the Rams deny it?

ROD gets a cease and desist letter from the Rams. Probably worded nicely, of course.

A public apology is the last thing the NFL would want as an epilogue to Bountygate. Now, it is possible some sort of apology was given privately. And the Rams win points with the league for not rocking the boat.

But I'm all for the petition anyway. Rams fans aren't beholden to any stinking NFL bylaws anyway.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Ram Quixote said:
I can imagine 3 scenarios evolving from a carefully written petition that does not involve the Rams themselves, if the petition gets to a viral stage (meaning that it gets exposure from a few media pundits) ...

One of Goodell's media lackeys puts it out that they did inform the Rams. Less likely, but if it wasn't true would/could the Rams deny it?

ROD gets a cease and desist letter from the Rams. Probably worded nicely, of course.

A public apology is the last thing the NFL would want as an epilogue to Bountygate. Now, it is possible some sort of apology was given privately. And the Rams win points with the league for not rocking the boat.

But I'm all for the petition anyway. Rams fans aren't beholden to any stinking NFL bylaws anyway.
Then I nominate you to construct a carefully (and politically correct) worded letter of which I will make the bulk of the petition. You know what they say about press, so I don't care if we get silenced by the man. It's going to take me a few hours to get the script right, as well as develop the template to publish, so.....

If you're up for it. If not, I can work on the language.

Being a mod... it comes with great power AND great responsibility. :razzed:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

X said:
Ram Quixote said:

Then I nominate you to construct a carefully (and politically correct) worded letter of which I will make the bulk of the petition. You know what they say about press, so I don't care if we get silenced by the man. It's going to take me a few hours to get the script right, as well as develop the template to publish, so.....

I accept the nomination.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Ram Quixote said:
X said:
Ram Quixote said:

I accept the nomination.
Awesome.

. . . because I'm done with the script. :mrgreen:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Oh, this is going to be AWESOME!

So, what is the petition going to ask for... what's the 'call to action' that signers are demanding? I say:

1) at a minimum - a public apology by the NFL to the Rams & their fans, for failing to notify them of pending serious action against Williams BEFORE the Rams hired Williams;

2) our preference - compensation to the Rams for losing their DC indefinitely at no fault of the Rams. Perhaps a compensatory draft pick is in order here. We're the injured party here, dammit, and we demand justice :)