NFL Officials Asked Teams To Consider Signing Michael Sam To Practice Squad

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dick84

Michael Sam has some ability to be a good player in this league - when the media pressures the league to give preferential treatment to him, it actually tarnishes everybody's perception of him. When someone is actually really good at what they do, they will end up succeeding - preferential treatment is not necessary for this to happen.

That's the thing... anyone paying attention would be more than hard pressed to make a case where he's been given preferential treatment based on his preseason play.

There's a balance sheet here... we know some teams wouldn't touch him because he's gay.. so the league encouraged others to take a look at him. That's balance, not preferential treatment.

ShaneFalco

i like sam alot, wish he was still on rams roster. But seriously. Stuff like this, really pisses me off.

sugar land

UDFA
Name
SugarLand Dave
Knowing Jerry Jones he signed Sam for the jersey sales more so than his talent. Just another sign that Jerry Jones the GM is a moron, where Jerry Jones the owner is a pretty smart business man. Hopefully Jerry Jones the owner never figures out that Jerry Jones the GM is holding his team back.

rs_500x281-130924164808-I-immediately-regret-this-decision-anchorman.gif

Last edited:

Rambition

Rookie
Knowing Jerry Jones he signed Sam for the jersey sales more so than his talent. Just another sign that Jerry Jones the GM is a moron, where Jerry Jones the owner is a pretty smart business man. Hopefully Jerry Jones the owner never figures out that Jerry Jones the GM is holding his team back.
the cowboys said they weren't going to be selling any sam jerseys (unless or until he makes the team).

Ramathon

All this is, IMO, is just another shining example of how the media CREATES the story rather than reporting it. I realize its the age we live in now, but this is just disgusting to me. Just assuming for a second, if they would just report on what is happening ON THE FIELD, this kid might actually have a good chance of having a career.

The thing to me,and the biggest farce of all..... they act as if he is the only gay player in the entire league, or is the first KNOWN gay player to be a member of an NFL locker room. Talk about having your head buried in the sand. Admittedly, the biggest mistake Michael Sam made was to "come out" on national TV. So he has to bear the brunt of what is happening to him. It was the kiss of death for him ever having a chance to "just be a football player".

But these "reporters" are just making this crap up as they go.

Exactly. And ESPN is the absolute worst at such activity. They will not only create the story, they'll then beat the horse until it's dead, buried, and fossilized. They are the National Enquirer of the sports world.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Meh, if the NFL felt the need to push teams into taking a player who looked to have the ability to play, at least in a limited role, in order to push them past the fear of having an openly gay player then I don't care. Like I said before, the Rams gave him a fair shake. Fisher seemed to indicate he wanted him, not that he was pressured. So that doesn't matter to me.

It's not much different in the league telling teams they need to give black coaches a chance, or allow black players on their team. Sometimes people need a little boot in the ass to get going. Sam wasn't bad for the room, he has talent enough to play, so whatever. Non story to me no matter how you slice it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
All this is, IMO, is just another shining example of how the media CREATES the story rather than reporting it. I realize its the age we live in now, but this is just disgusting to me. Just assuming for a second, if they would just report on what is happening ON THE FIELD, this kid might actually have a good chance of having a career.

The thing to me,and the biggest farce of all..... they act as if he is the only gay player in the entire league, or is the first KNOWN gay player to be a member of an NFL locker room. Talk about having your head buried in the sand. Admittedly, the biggest mistake Michael Sam made was to "come out" on national TV. So he has to bear the brunt of what is happening to him. It was the kiss of death for him ever having a chance to "just be a football player".

But these "reporters" are just making this crap up as they go.

^ This. Well said.