NFL Officials Asked Teams To Consider Signing Michael Sam To Practice Squad

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Report: NFL Officials Asked Teams To Consider Signing Michael Sam To Practice Squad
Al Weaver
http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/04/r...nsider-signing-michael-sam-to-practice-squad/

454045770_opt-e1409877562734.jpg

According to NBC’s Peter King and ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith, NFL officials called teams around the league to gauge interest in signing Michael Sam to their practice squad.

Yesterday, the Dallas Cowboys signed Sam, who is trying to become the first openly gay player in NFL history.

King reported this during the pre-game show on NBC prior to the Seahawks/Packers season opener Thursday night.

“The Rams waived Michael Sam, the first openly gay player trying to make an NFL roster, he was unemployed for two days,” King said. “During that time a league official contacted multiple teams asking if they had evaluated Sam as a probable practice squad player.”

“Now Sam and the NFL avoided a nightmare situation when he signed with the practice squad of the Dallas Cowboys.”

This report, that is surely to upset other players vying for NFL practice squads around the league, was initially reported by ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith on yesterday’s edition of “First Take.”

“According to sources I have in the NFL, the league did call a few teams. They did want teams to take Michael Sam because obviously we see what kind of movement they’re gearing for, and what they’re support of Michael Sam, who we all know, came out, acknowledged he was gay before the draft and ultimately something Roger Goodell and the NFL supports and they want their teams to support. But other teams weren’t too receptive to taking him on once the St. Louis Rams cut him,” reported the ESPN talking head.

“So in steps, Jerry Jones coming to the aid of the NFL and making a splash with his willingness to bring this guy on board to the practice squad.”

“Kudos to Jerry Jones because it just shows he’s willing to be a team player. it shows that even though he’s a hype machine or what have you, in the end, he’s willing to do what he believes, and what the league believes to be in the best interest of the league,” Smith added.

TheDC is seeking comment from the NFL’s press office.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm surprised he wasn't snatched up faster. He's not bad at all. There are teams desperate for talent.

That they called around doesn't bother me. Sometimes you have to push people to break barriers.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
all the fucking talking heads at ESPN are the reason he wasn't getting picked up in the first place. but whatever cus thank god it's not our problem anymore.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Knowing Jerry Jones he signed Sam for the jersey sales more so than his talent. Just another sign that Jerry Jones the GM is a moron, where Jerry Jones the owner is a pretty smart business man. Hopefully Jerry Jones the owner never figures out that Jerry Jones the GM is holding his team back.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
Knowing Jerry Jones he signed Sam for the jersey sales more so than his talent. Just another sign that Jerry Jones the GM is a moron, where Jerry Jones the owner is a pretty smart business man. Hopefully Jerry Jones the owner never figures out that Jerry Jones the GM is holding his team back.

It would be funny as hell to see Jerry Jones the president hold a press conference to fire Jerry Jones the GM

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I get your point. But doesn't league support only offset the fact that some teams personnel guys admitted to King they wouldn't pick Sam up because he's gay?

There was some of that going on too, but the key here is, the NFL doesn't openly lobby for any other player to get signed to a practice squad. Never happened before.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Getting preferential treatment, doesn't surprise me at all.

Agreed. And it's not cool. The other 7th rounders that were cut from teams didn't have "secretaries" working the phones for them.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There was some of that going on too, but the key here is, the NFL doesn't openly lobby for any other player to get signed to a practice squad. Never happened before.

Of course, how often has a player been singled out for apparent bias like Sam either? I mean, a key former coach admitted that he wouldn't want Sam on his team, because of "distractions" even though he had been willing to have Vick on his team - who was a huge distraction. The NFL likely wanted to make up for what everybody knew was bias.

The NFL is a PR machine, in the entertainment business. They do what they think will help sell tickets in the long run. Pissing off a large portion of the fan base because of perceived bigotry would not help sell tickets. It's much easier to interpret the NFL's actions if you do so in that light - and not just in this case.

Dick84

I don't disagree. I'm just saying things balance out in this situation, imo.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
"NFL officials called teams around the league to gauge interest in signing Michael Sam to their practice squad."

If this is what the league was doing, then I suggest that the headline may be a tad sensationalistic. And the reporters may in fact maybe taking liberties here. I would think the league office would want to "gauge" the level of interest in a player, for whatever reason has been as polarizing as Michael Sam has been. It would be black eye on the league had someone not signed him.

If this was a kid who had ZERO ability and had not shown well enough in the preseason to warrant some legitimate interest, then I doubt the league would have been as concerned about the fallout. But STL Rams fans more so than most, can attest to his showing he could compete on this level. And IF he would have gone unsigned, you can rest assured the league would have not looked good.

In this initial line of the article, if you read it word for word, its a far cry from "gauging interest" to requesting a team sign him to their practice squad. For all any of us know, they could have been seeking to get a better feel for the "temperature of the water" in the event they had any damage control to do in the near future.

I realize I may come across as being a bit naive, just playing devils advocate here, and suggesting that it could just as likely the two particular "journalists" are sensationalizing things. It's not like that would be totally out of character for either one of them.

Last edited:

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
In this initial line of the article, if you read it word for word, its a far cry from "gauging interest" to requesting a team sign him to their practice squad. For all any of us know, they could have been seeking to get a better feel for the "temperature of the water" in the even they had any damage control to do in the near future.

I agree especially with the PR hits (you name it) they are taking. Looks like ( to me) they were trying to get out in front of a situation.

Philly5

Rookie
Put him in the Pro Bowl and elect him into the HOF. Then the league can stop acting as his agent.

Goodell really is lousy at his job. Is he trying to kill the golden goose with his bungling PR moves?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Man this is turnin' into a cluster,how does Sam walk into the Dallas locker room without people resenting him NOW ?
One talking head on Around the Horn today compared this to the Rooney Rule.
In the process of trying to keep from getting a black eye they've gotten a bloody nose,Murphy's Law

CoachO

Hall of Fame
All this is, IMO, is just another shining example of how the media CREATES the story rather than reporting it. I realize its the age we live in now, but this is just disgusting to me. Just assuming for a second, if they would just report on what is happening ON THE FIELD, this kid might actually have a good chance of having a career.

The thing to me,and the biggest farce of all..... they act as if he is the only gay player in the entire league, or is the first KNOWN gay player to be a member of an NFL locker room. Talk about having your head buried in the sand. Admittedly, the biggest mistake Michael Sam made was to "come out" on national TV. So he has to bear the brunt of what is happening to him. It was the kiss of death for him ever having a chance to "just be a football player".

But these "reporters" are just making this crap up as they go.

BKBISTRO

UDFA
Michael Sam has some ability to be a good player in this league - when the media pressures the league to give preferential treatment to him, it actually tarnishes everybody's perception of him. When someone is actually really good at what they do, they will end up succeeding - preferential treatment is not necessary for this to happen.