NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks on Rams #2 pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
just as JRRY says there are WR that can be taken later in the draft, there are also OTs that can be taken later in the draft, we have an Oline coach who has shown he can coach up average players, give him a second rounder to work with and we should be fine at OT since he wouldn't be more than a spot starter for now anyway, get your OG in the third or fourth and one in FA or resign Saffold and you are looking pretty good on the Oline. at WR we need someone who can make plays consistently, not one of our WRs have shown they can do that, Quick has potential, but can you say he will reach it? Givens flashed some promise but can you say he will regain that form? Pettis is Pettis, do you really want him starting for you? TA and Bailey look like they have promise, so while they are a young group, Quick, Givens and Pettis all were at least 2nd year players last year and I didn't see enough out of any of them to know they will even be on this team after next season.
We can get WRs later on, we can get Olinemen later on, but you're not finding 270 lb manchildren that run a 4.4 and dominated the SEC anywhere outside of the top couple picks in the draft. Makes it a pretty easy decision, doesn't it?

tonyl711

Starter
We can get WRs later on, we can get Olinemen later on, but you're not finding 270 lb manchildren that run a 4.4 and dominated the SEC anywhere outside of the top couple picks in the draft. Makes it a pretty easy decision, doesn't it?
no it doesn't, not when you already have your starting OTs and can still get a pretty damn good back up in the second. I would take the best WR to come out since J Jones.

jjab360

Legend
no it doesn't, not when you already have your starting OTs and can still get a pretty damn good back up in the second. I would take the best WR to come out since J Jones.
Well, I wouldn't exactly be asking Clowney to play OT, seems like a waste to me..

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
just as JRRY says there are WR that can be taken later in the draft, there are also OTs that can be taken later in the draft

Everything can be taken later in the draft. Barring sleepers and steals, they just won't be as good.

RamEERS

Pastor
Maybe not immediately in 2014... But SW would make this offense complete!

And... It might be the last year within no-trade-required striking distance to land the top WR (like 1999 when we nabbed Holt).

see this bothers me ... if he doesn't pan out the first year... are we going to go through this whole cycle of we need another receiver in case Watkins doesn't turn out.. you'd probably say no now but most of yall never would've wanted another first round WR last year when right after we drafted tavon...
tavon and bailey didn't "immediately" produce 2013, but showed a lot of promise. So why are we willing to give a player that hasnt played a snap in the NFL a chance while we throw away young players that showed promise playing for an average backup?

tonyl711

Starter
see this bothers me ... if he doesn't pan out the first year... are we going to go through this whole cycle of we need another receiver in case Watkins doesn't turn out.. you'd probably say no now but most of yall never would've wanted another first round WR last year when right after we drafted tavon...
tavon and bailey didn't "immediately" produce 2013, but showed a lot of promise. So why are we willing to give a player that hasnt played a snap in the NFL a chance while we throw away young players that showed promise playing for an average backup?
I don't think anyone is expecting any WR to come in as a rookie and put up great numbers, what is expected is for them to get better the more experience they have, have Quick or Givens done anything in their second years that make you sure of them? do you really want Pettis starting a game for you?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
People don't want Watkins because Tavon and Bailey didn't "turn out". They want him to be a #1 WR.

Austin was never going to be a #1 receiver, but an extremely talented weapon. (Since we don't have Linehan here anymore to force people into being things they aren't.) With all the below Round 1 guys, it'd be awesome if they did become a #1 type, but very surprising.

So if we took Watkins, no, we would not want another first round wide receiver after one year.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If we don't take OL early then I see us regressing this coming season. Take a moment to think about our offensive line next year, very possibly without Saffold or Dahl, lining up against NFC West defenses. It wouldn't matter who you had at WR, we would be manhandled up front and we would lose every division game. Our running attack would be easier to stop and Bradford would be scrambling for his life fresh off an ACL injury. Then Bradford would have less success and we would be looking for a QB the following draft... Not to mention increased risk of him or Stacy getting hurt. Neglecting OL early means this team gives up all it's rebuilding progress to this point, IMO.

jjab360

Legend
If we don't take OL early then I see us regressing this coming season. Take a moment to think about our offensive line next year, very possibly without Saffold or Dahl, lining up against NFC West defenses. It wouldn't matter who you had at WR, we would be manhandled up front and we would lose every division game. Our running attack would be easier to stop and Bradford would be scrambling for his life fresh off an ACL injury. Then Bradford would have less success and we would be looking for a QB the following draft... Not to mention increased risk of him or Stacy getting hurt. Neglecting OL early means this team gives up all it's rebuilding progress to this point, IMO.
What makes you think that any rookie OL is going to have that big of an impact next season? We need OL, but there's a number of ways to go about acquiring them. Not getting one early in the draft does not mean we will automatically regress, if we're talking about the immediate future, I'd say it's more important to sign some veterans at the position, tbh.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
What makes you think that any rookie OL is going to have that big of an impact next season? We need OL, but there's a number of ways to go about acquiring them. Not getting one early in the draft does not mean we will automatically regress, if we're talking about the immediate future, I'd say it's more important to sign some veterans at the position, tbh.

I'm not saying they would be all-stars but I think they could be significant upgrades over Chris Williams, Brandon Washington, or Shelley Smith. I think they would provide more of an impact than a WR due to how badly we need them. Receivers rarely become studs in their rookie year anyway so we would be taking in another guy to develop at the position when we really don't even know what we have now. If we could sign a free agent veteran OL then that would be great but I anticipate there will be multiple spots in need of filling.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I'm not saying they would be all-stars but I think they could be significant upgrades over Chris Williams, Brandon Washington, or Shelley Smith. I think they would provide more of an impact than a WR due to how badly we need them. Receivers rarely become studs in their rookie year anyway so we would be taking in another guy to develop at the position when we really don't even know what we have now. If we could sign a free agent veteran OL then that would be great but I anticipate there will be multiple spots in need of filling.
You can have upgrades over those guys in the 2nd round... when you draft guards.

RamEERS

Pastor
People don't want Watkins because Tavon and Bailey didn't "turn out". They want him to be a #1 WR.

Austin was never going to be a #1 receiver, but an extremely talented weapon. (Since we don't have Linehan here anymore to force people into being things they aren't.) With all the below Round 1 guys, it'd be awesome if they did become a #1 type, but very surprising.

So if we took Watkins, no, we would not want another first round wide receiver after one year.

yeah.. my point exactly... you say that now, but what if watkins puts up subpar numbers in his rookie year which is likely... we'd be calling him the next Quick and look for another WR.... you also have to put in context our offense as well... especially with the run first mentality AND it's schotty's offense (shudder) he will likely not do well this year

on the ending note.. the seahags showed that you don't need a big bodied receiver to win it all.... golden taint? baldwin? neither are over 6 ft... meanwhile... they have sherman at 6'3 staring down at 6'1 watkins... that's a battle he'll lose 9/10 times..

if we draft watkins it's whatever... but if he has a meh season, i WONT be the one asking for another first round WR

Last edited:

wrstdude

Rookie
Perfect world we get Clowney & trade up to get Robinson/Matthews. We saw how a pass rush neutralizes the best passing offense ever assembled.

tonyl711

Starter
Perfect world we get Clowney & trade up to get Robinson/Matthews. We saw how a pass rush neutralizes the best passing offense ever assembled.
we already have a good pass rush, 2nd or 3rd in the league 2 years in a row.