NFL Nation reporters: Rams go 5-11/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFL Nation reporters: Rams go 5-11
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11243/nfl-nation-reporters-rams-go-5-11

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- On Tuesday morning, all 32 of our NFL Nation reporters revealed their game-by-game predictions for the teams they cover.

As you probably saw (and didn't like, I get it, it's just a prediction, nothing personal) I picked the St. Louis Rams to finish 6-10. It doesn't mean I think the Rams won't be competitive this season, just that it's going to be hard to get to .500 or better against a difficult schedule with a backup quarterback and an offensive line with some major health risks, while counting on so many young players to take a big step forward.

Anyway, I saw that Giants reporter Dan Graziano did a post looking at how the other reporters viewed the Giants and compared it to his prediction for the team he covers. Dan stole the idea from Browns reporter Pat McManamon who did the same thing. I figured I'd take a look to see how reporters viewed the Rams from the outside. I don't think Dan or Pat will mind. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ... or something like that.

When you add it up, the NFL Nation reporters combined to have the Rams one game worse than where I have them, checking in at 5-11.

You can click on each reporter's name for a look at his predictions. Each projected record for the season is next to the reporter's name.

Week 1 vs. Minnesota
My pick: Rams
Ben Goessling (7-9): Vikings

Week 2 at Tampa Bay
My pick: Buccaneers
Pat Yasinskas (8-8): Buccaneers

Week 3 vs. Dallas
Todd Archer (8-8): Rams

Week 5 at Philadelphia
My pick: Eagles
Phil Sheridan (11-5): Eagles

Week 6 vs. San Francisco ("Monday Night Football")
My pick: 49ers
Paul Gutierrez (11-5): Rams

Week 7 vs. Seattle
My pick: Seahawks
Terry Blount (13-3): Seahawks

Week 8 at Kansas City
Adam Teicher (8-8): Chiefs

Week 9 at San Francisco
Paul Gutierrez (11-5): 49ers

Week 10 at Arizona
My pick: Cardinals
Josh Weinfuss (9-7): Cardinals

Week 11 vs. Denver
My pick: Broncos
Jeff Legwold (12-4): Rams

Week 12 at San Diego
My pick: Chargers
Eric Williams (10-6): Chargers

Week 13 vs. Oakland
Bill Williamson (6-10): Rams

Week 14 at Washington
My pick: Redskins
John Keim (7-9): Redskins

Week 15 vs. Arizona

Week 16 vs. New York Giants
Dan Graziano (8-8): Rams

Week 17 at Seattle

As you can see, I differ with Goessling on the Vikings' game right off the bat. If the Rams do lose this opener, it could be a really long season. The Rams need to win at least two of their first three, if not all three, before starting the brutal stretch from Week 5 to Week 12.

Gutierrez and Legwold have the Rams knocking off the Niners and Broncos, respectively, both picks that are reasonable and that I strongly considered in my own projections. The Rams have had a knack for beating teams nobody expects them to cover the past two years and then dropping a game or two they probably should win. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams beat the Niners and/or Broncos at home like they did with the likes of New Orleans and Chicago last season.

Anyway, these are just predictions and they are subject to change in the weekly predictions we'll all make as the season goes on. The reality is that none of us know anything for certain when it comes to these right now. The real fun is about to begin and the guesswork will soon turn into actual information.

A55VA6

Legend
If the Rams go 5-11.. then we failed to run the ball and play defense at a high level. I just won't understand a 5-11 season. This team is way better than that even with a hard schedule.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
We would have to have several key players injured before I would entertain the thought of 5-11. I don't understand how we go from being talked about as a potential playoff team to a weak team just from the Bradford injury.

AZRamsFan93

It really means nothing. These are writers. I will bet the Rams opponents won't be underestimating them.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
If the Rams go 5-11.. then we failed to run the ball and play defense at a high level. I just won't understand a 5-11 season. This team is way better than that even with a hard schedule.
It's not like our schedule is that much harder than last year when we went 7-9. We have the same personnel minus Clemens and instead with a better QB. We had the youngest team in the NFL. The key players are improving. I just don't see how they could be worse than the 7-9 record we had last year. We should be better, despite losing Bradford

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Well we all know what happened when they underestimated the Rams in 1999. Not saying at all that this team is even close talent wise but the point remains the same.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No shit? The homer reporters picked their team over ours? Amazing. Sorry but this seems like a weak ass attempt by Wagoner to say, "See? I'm not such a bad guy. Everyone is doing it."

Meh. I think we play the games for a reason.

209RamsFan

5-11?? No way.....Hill is better than Clemens and an improved defense....after long thought....9-7 is possible

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
It's a safe bet, it depends on how our team does as a whole. Knowing that we have the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL as well as a starting QB injured, I don't blame the analysts. They'll be in for a huge surprise though if they expect Hill to perform Clemens-like.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
And these guys are paid to do this?

Wagoner trying too hard to not look like a homer. Shame.

RamzFanz

Damnit
NFL Nation reporters: Rams go 5-11
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11243/nfl-nation-reporters-rams-go-5-11

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- On Tuesday morning, all 32 of our NFL Nation reporters revealed their game-by-game predictions for the teams they cover.

As you probably saw (and didn't like, I get it, it's just a prediction, nothing personal) I picked the St. Louis Rams to finish 6-10. It doesn't mean I think the Rams won't be competitive this season, just that it's going to be hard to get to .500 or better against a difficult schedule with a backup quarterback and an offensive line with some major health risks, while counting on so many young players to take a big step forward.

Anyway, I saw that Giants reporter Dan Graziano did a post looking at how the other reporters viewed the Giants and compared it to his prediction for the team he covers. Dan stole the idea from Browns reporter Pat McManamon who did the same thing. I figured I'd take a look to see how reporters viewed the Rams from the outside. I don't think Dan or Pat will mind. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ... or something like that.

When you add it up, the NFL Nation reporters combined to have the Rams one game worse than where I have them, checking in at 5-11.

You can click on each reporter's name for a look at his predictions. Each projected record for the season is next to the reporter's name.

Week 1 vs. Minnesota
Ben Goessling (7-9): Vikings

Week 2 at Tampa Bay
My pick: Buccaneers
Pat Yasinskas (8-8): Buccaneers

Week 3 vs. Dallas
Todd Archer (8-8): Rams

Week 5 at Philadelphia
My pick: Eagles
Phil Sheridan (11-5): Eagles

Week 6 vs. San Francisco ("Monday Night Football")
Paul Gutierrez (11-5): Rams

Week 7 vs. Seattle

Week 8 at Kansas City
Adam Teicher (8-8): Chiefs

Week 9 at San Francisco
Paul Gutierrez (11-5): 49ers

Week 10 at Arizona
My pick: Cardinals

Week 11 vs. Denver
My pick: Broncos
Jeff Legwold (12-4): Rams

Week 12 at San Diego
My pick: Chargers
Eric Williams (10-6): Chargers

Week 13 vs. Oakland
Bill Williamson (6-10): Rams

Week 14 at Washington
My pick: Redskins
John Keim (7-9): Redskins

Week 15 vs. Arizona

Week 16 vs. New York Giants
Dan Graziano (8-8): Rams

Week 17 at Seattle

As you can see, I differ with Goessling on the Vikings' game right off the bat. If the Rams do lose this opener, it could be a really long season. The Rams need to win at least two of their first three, if not all three, before starting the brutal stretch from Week 5 to Week 12.

Gutierrez and Legwold have the Rams knocking off the Niners and Broncos, respectively, both picks that are reasonable and that I strongly considered in my own projections. The Rams have had a knack for beating teams nobody expects them to cover the past two years and then dropping a game or two they probably should win. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams beat the Niners and/or Broncos at home like they did with the likes of New Orleans and Chicago last season.

Anyway, these are just predictions and they are subject to change in the weekly predictions we'll all make as the season goes on. The reality is that none of us know anything for certain when it comes to these right now. The real fun is about to begin and the guesswork will soon turn into actual information.

5114f829_uhhowaboutno_2.gif

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Examining the Rams' win total odds
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11314/examining-rams-win-total-odds

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- There aren't many injuries that could occur to a team that would cause much shift in terms of a team's over/under win total before an NFL season.

Put simply, there are too many players with a direct hand in determining the results of a game for one player to make that much of a difference. But a starting quarterback would qualify as the exception.

The folks over at Bovada passed along some adjusted win totals for each NFL team earlier this week, including a note on trends amongst teams with over/unders that have fluctuated this preseason.

As you'd expect, the St. Louis Rams appeared on the list as a team with some changes after losing starting quarterback Sam Bradford to a torn anterior cruciate ligament for the second consecutive season.

According to Bovada, the Rams' over/under win total dipped from 7.5 to 6.5 after Bradford's injury. In other words, those looking to bet on the Rams hitting the over believe the team will win seven or more games while those looking to hit the under believe the Rams will win six games or fewer.

For what it's worth, the current trend amongst bettors has more bets being placed on the Rams coming up under the projected 6.5 wins.