NFL must do something about the officiating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
This biased bullshit fucks up what would be good games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not much they can do. And we, as fans, are partly to blame for all the shit we gave the replacement refs.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
May as well call it the NFE, National Football Entertainment. Since the officials are only on the field to assure the game ends the way roger gotohell wants it to.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The NFL wants to make all the money it possibly can. Until it believes that the bad officiating is costing it money, nothing will change...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Anyone who has watched the game for decades can clearly see the degradation in the last 5-10 years after reaching it's peak in excitement and overall quality.
It's more than just poor (over)officiating although this is problem #1.
Bloated TV contracts, incessant commercials, hyping the wrong players, ridiculous expansion agendas.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, now I am getting pissed

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Refs are the most inconsistant entities on the field....Period nothing will be perfect.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Refs are the most inconsistant entities on the field....Period nothing will be perfect.

The refs are consistantly bad. But there calls are very inconsistant, what is flagged on 1 team, is acceptable by the other team. Tavon running behind a defender that falls gets flagged as block in the back yet almost every 3rd down conversion by NO was sprung by a hold or block in the back, some had both or even multiples of both that went unflagged.

jap

Legend
I still think The Mighty Quinn ought to sue the NFL for unfair treatment, and he has years of recorded games to offer as evidence.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I wrote a long, well worded, thoughtful post about how bad the officiating is in 1938. Nothing ever changes....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
What should the refs have done in this situation? Is this unfair or smart coaching?
https://theringer.com/vontaze-burfi...llie-snead-nfl-week-12-b7dbcc4c1a4#.fpjmhn11o

Winner: Crafty John Harbaugh
Rodger Sherman: One of the most annoying things about football: you don’t just get to keep playing offense forever. Ugh! This is especially frustrating when you’re leading with a few seconds left and get to fourth down. If you give the ball back to your opponent, especially if you’re pinned near your own end zone, they might score and win.

What do you do in this scenario? Do you just run around and hope the clock expires? If it doesn’t, you’re giving the ball to the opponent close to the goal line. Do you just hurl the ball up in the air and hope the clock expires? Oklahoma State tried this, and thanks to some poor refereeing, it didn’t work out. Do you punt? Michigan, coached by Jim Harbaugh, tried this, and it DEFINITELY didn’t work out.

But Harbaugh’s brother, John, has a strategy. He used it with 12 seconds remaining to seal a win over the Bengals.

View: https://twitter.com/firstandskol/status/802983821641551872

He gave punter Sam Koch the ball and ordered his offensive line to do whatever it took to stall defenders, even if it resulted in a penalty. Mostly they held. Flags flew, Koch danced around, and after the clock expired, he exited the end zone.

Penalties on the offense don’t extend the game (like a time-expiring penalty on the defense does), and you don’t have to punt the ball away after a safety with no time remaining unless the safety is caused by penalty, which in this case it was not. So the game was over, and the Ravens won.

It’s the second time Harbaugh has done this — he killed seven seconds from the end of Super Bowl XLVII with this strategy, although that time no penalties were called and the Ravens didn’t quite kill the clock, forcing a post-safety free kick.

ESPN’s Kevin Seifert says the officials could hypothetically rule an intentionally committed foul like this “a palpably unfair act” and force a replay of the down, but they would need to issue a warning first. If you’re trying something sneaky like this on the last play of the game, there’s nothing the officials can do besides throw their (meaningless) flags.

Soccer fans scorn intentional handballs to save goals, and basketball fans roll their eyes when teams repeatedly foul bad shooters. But in those situations, there’s some punishment for the team’s actions: A clear handball leads to a red card, and a poor shooter might hit free throws.

Harbaugh has found a rare instance in sports where an obvious violation of the rules doesn’t result in any consequences. Maybe it’s unsportsmanlike, but I don’t think any NFL coach would care. Until the rulebook changes to disincentivize this, coaches can and should do it. Harbaugh deserves credit for his craftiness.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
What would they change? These are the best of the best. They have the best and most intense training available, they all have years and years of experience. The game is very very fast and they are expected to make a call in a split second.
I didn't realize how hard it is to referee a game until I did. I'm doing high school ball when home, even that is really fast. It's easy to see from the stands or on tv but when you're at their level, on the field, it's quite difficult. You have things to key on, on every play. Sometimes you think you see something so you hesitate your key progression for an instance to verify what you think you saw and miss something that just happened right in front of.
It won't change, it's part of the game. They could do a replay on every down, you wouldn't like that. They will then catch everything and the game will suffer.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
What would they change? These are the best of the best. They have the best and most intense training available, they all have years and years of experience. The game is very very fast and they are expected to make a call in a split second.
I didn't realize how hard it is to referee a game until I did. I'm doing high school ball when home, even that is really fast. It's easy to see from the stands or on tv but when you're at their level, on the field, it's quite difficult. You have things to key on, on every play. Sometimes you think you see something so you hesitate your key progression for an instance to verify what you think you saw and miss something that just happened right in front of.
It won't change, it's part of the game. They could do a replay on every down, you wouldn't like that. They will then catch everything and the game will suffer.

It just seems they should be keying on the same things no matter which team has the ball. If you are responsible for watching the OL, do you take time off while the other team has the ball or do you watch both OLs? Because NFL officials seem to watch jersey color more so than position group or their responsible area. Maybe if they were full time employees they would be better trained and possibly do their job like their job depends on it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Anyone who has watched the game for decades can clearly see the degradation in the last 5-10 years after reaching it's peak in excitement and overall quality.
And how many of these years has Goodell been in charge!?!

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
They need to quit nit-picking first of all. They also still have no clue what a catch is because there's so much gray area in the dumb rule. It needs to be 2 feet down (or in) and control of the ball; that's it.

I know every fanbase thinks the refs are out to get them, but like OP said, it's become clearly lopsided. I don't watch other teams, but when we played the STEALers, we had 11 penalties for 98 yards, while they had 4 penalties for 40 yards. They didn't call a face mask on this..
Screenshot_20161128-120058.jpg

And it happened right in front of an official. They called a BS "holding" on Tyron Smith, who just pancaked a guy. The Redskins game was even worse.

Bruce2980

Starter
They need to quit nit-picking first of all. They also still have no clue what a catch is because there's so much gray area in the dumb rule. It needs to be 2 feet down (or in) and control of the ball; that's it.

I know every fanbase thinks the refs are out to get them, but like OP said, it's become clearly lopsided. I don't watch other teams, but when we played the STEALers, we had 11 penalties for 98 yards, while they had 4 penalties for 40 yards. They didn't call a face mask on this.. View attachment 17827

And it happened right in front of an official. They called a BS "holding" on Tyron Smith, who just pancaked a guy. The Redskins game was even worse.
The games are rigged my friend, no other logical explanation can be had. If you've got one I'd love to hear it, as long as it doesn't pertain to aliens.