Nfl Most Popular Sport In America; 30 Straight Years

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10354114/harris-poll-nfl-most-popular-mlb-2nd?addata=module-b

Pro football is the most popular sport in America for at least the 30th straight year.

That's according to a survey taken this month by the Harris Poll, which has been asking adult fans, ages 18 and over, about their favorite sport since 1985.

In 2014, 35 percent of fans call the NFL their favorite sport, followed by Major League Baseball (14 percent), college football (11 percent), auto racing (7 percent), the NBA (6 percent), the NHL (5 percent) and college basketball (3 percent).

In 1985, the first year the poll was taken, the NFL bested MLB by just one percentage point (24 to 23 percent), but since then interest in baseball has fallen while the NFL has experienced a huge rise in popularity.

Nine percent fewer fans call baseball their favorite sport over the 30-year span, the biggest drop of any sport. The polling numbers suggest that the sport hasn't been able to recover from a popularity standpoint from 1994, when a strike forced the cancellation of the World Series.

One other significant drop was in professional golf. Throughout Tiger Woods' pro career, which began in 1996, no less four percent of the U.S. adult population called golf their favorite sport. But since 2010, the first year after Woods' extramarital affair scandal, only two percent of Americans have called it their favorite sport.

A sport's popularity varies greatly based on demographics. More people who live in rural areas on the East coast say they're fans of the NFL than the general U.S. population. Those with an annual household income of more than $100,000 are more likely to be baseball fans, while African Americans are less likely to enjoy the sport, the poll reveals. More southerners call college football their favorite sport, while those with a high school education or less tend to gravitate to auto racing.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
This won't be the case in another 30 years if the NFL isn't careful. And especially if Goodell is still commish

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Surprising. I thought the NBA was in the 90's with "Dream Team" and MJ23...

The NBA sux out now. It use to be a very physical sport. It hurts because that's their all panzies and stand around the three point line, jog, and don't turn it on until late. Ugh...

If STL had an NBA team I'd be down, though. Hardcore...

STL River Cats... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How did figure skating not make it? Seriously though things are chaning some of the youth today seem more interested in their own games then the ones being played.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think soccer is poised to make a run at all of them and I have to wonder if the poll offered it as an option.
Several small high school football programs are being threatened by it now along with the encroaching cost of insurance and helmets due to concussion litigation.

I have for some time felt the size of schools financially capable of offering football would be moving upward slowly and since families with both genders have kids paying soccer, although I myself am mystified at HOW it happens, parents and children alike become fans of the sport.For me it's worse than watching paint dry ,it's as bad as painting itself.

I was discussing my distaste for the 12th man with a guy this weekend and we concluded the NFL encouraging the fan bedlam was their way of addressing the threat professional wrestling posed a few years back.

I know people like to hammer Roger but never believe his moves aren't focus group analyzed and even though some of the purists grumble the guy knows what he's doing.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
This won't be the case in another 30 years if the NFL isn't careful. And especially if Goodell is still commish
He will be there a max of 10 more years unless you expect the league to have an 84 year old commish ,further to focus your ire on him is like cursing the tide , he would be GONE TODAY if his actions were materially against the will of the owners.

jap

Legend
30 years? As far as I am concerned, the NFL became king of the USA sports viewing public on 28 December 1958 when Johnny Unitas' Baltimore Colts defeated Sam Huff's New York Giants in what is generally regarded as "The Greatest Game Ever Played." Over 45 million people watched that game on television, and NFL football surged in popularity as a result of that single game.

30 years? 55 years is more like it.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
And it has the potential to stay that way in perpetuity IMO , but it has to adapt because survival is always a matter of how any organism adapts to an ever changing environment