NFL field change considered for player safety (wider)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By GABRIELLE LEVY, UPI.com
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/02/11/NFL-field-change-considered-for-player-safety-reduced-concussions/6391360621662/#ixzz2Kiw0pFjC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/02/11/NFL- ... z2Kiw0pFjC</a>

A National Football League executive says expanding the dimensions of the field could help reduce the number of head injuries to players, reducing long-term health risks of the game

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/02/11/NFL-field-change-considered-for-player-safety-reduced-concussions/6391360621662/#ixzz2KiwVEpAD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/02/11/NFL- ... z2KiwVEpAD</a>
9jqFI2L.jpg

If you watched the Super Bowl, you probably caught one of the NFL ads touting the league's efforts to improve player safety.

A rash of suicides by former football players, including the murder-suicide by Jovan Belcher that left his young daughter orphaned, brought the issue of major brain damage due to repeated head trauma to national attention.

Now, the NFL is reportedly considering changing the dimensions of the playing field to Canadian regulations--their fields are, at 195 feet wide, 35 feet wider and 30 yards longer--as a potential means of reducing head injuries.

"I’m not so sure we shouldn’t think about widening the field,” said Bill Polian, an NFL executive with a history in the Canadian game, to the National Football Post. “It’s a radical idea, but I think it’s worth thinking about. You would have more space and perhaps a safer game. I say that based on my CFL experience. There are less collisions of that type in the Canadian game.”

The idea is that the wider field would give players more space to run around--and thus decrease the number of concussions. It would also probably increase the amount of scoring, and teams would have to make adjustments to their style of play to deal with the changes in the field.

But not everyone is convinced the bigger field would matter. And Rick Smith, the general manager of the Houston Texans, said the bigger field could actually make things worse.

“If you widen the field, you have more high speed collisions,” Smith said, because players would accelerate as they ran longer distances between hits.

Polian, who played six seasons in the Canadian Football League, disagrees.

“The farther a player has to run in terms of contact, the less ferocious the contact is going to be,” Polian said. “We know the most ferocious hits come from guys who are ten yards apart and lay each other out. You have fewer higher power collisions in the Canadian League than here.”

Such a change would be significant for the game, and it certainly won't be happening overnight. But that it's even under discussion shows that the league's concern over the lasting damage done by on-field concussions is more than just lip service.

bluecoconuts

Legend
No thanks. You also have fewer brutal hits in the CFL because there's far less talent there. Besides the expense to that would be insane.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
No thanks. You also have fewer brutal hits in the CFL because there's far less talent there. Besides the expense to that would be insane.
Yeah it would. You'd have to remove so many seats and reconstruct all the stadiums. Not gonna happen.
Instead, since we're being so pro-active and whatnot, why don't we just put all the players in sumo suits?

mABM5FO.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Young Ram said:
Stop changing the league!!

This is my thought too.

Damn, Goodell... You have the golden goose and seem intent on killing it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2