NFL extra point experiment begins at the Hall of Fame Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
NFL extra point experiment begins at the Hall of Fame Game
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2014

442a8cb6e231745ae56fcfe3e58faa2c-e1388362810885.jpg
Getty Images

Extra points will be a little bit harder at the start of the preseason, as the NFL is experimenting with moving the spot of the ball back for point after attempts.

Starting with Sunday night’s Hall of Fame Game and through the second week of the preseason, teams will line up at the 15-yard line when kicking extra points. (Two-point conversion attempts will remain at the 2-yard line, and extra points will move back to the 2 for the third week of the preseason and throughout the regular season.)

The NFL decided to try that after a groundswell during last season to do something — anything — to make extra points more interesting. Right now, NFL kickers make more than 99 percent of extra point attempts, making the extra point the most boring play in football. NFL owners voted down a proposal to move extra points back to the 25-yard line, but they agreed to experiment with moving them to the 15 in the preseason and reconsider the idea next offseason.

An extra point spotted at the 15 is the equivalent of a 33-yard field goal, which is still a chip shot for NFL kickers. It wouldn’t be at all surprising if every single longer extra point attempt is good this preseason. If the NFL wants to see how the game is changed by more challenging extra points, it should have moved them back to the 25, or farther.

The NFL could also consider moving two-point conversion attempts from the 2-yard line to the 1, making them easier and therefore giving coaches a greater incentive to go for two. The two-point conversion is one of the most exciting plays in football, and replacing those boring chip-shot kicks with exciting two-point conversion attempts would make the game better for the fans.

But the NFL’s owners are a conservative bunch, and they’re hesitant to make significant changes. Moving back the extra point kick by 13 yards is a very small step in the right direction, and that’s all we’re going to get this year.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I disagree with having to move the Point after attempt back. Even though it's pretty much a sure thing, it's pretty awesome when the defense makes a phenomenal play to block it. Also overdoing the 2 point conversion by making it easier will just water it down the excitement when teams need 2 instead of 1.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I don't understand why the PAT has to be more exciting. So what if they are converted almost every time? Punts rarely get blocked but they're still an essential part of the game. This seems like a change just for the sake of change to me.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I don't understand why the PAT has to be more exciting. So what if they are converted almost every time? Punts rarely get blocked but they're still an essential part of the game. This seems like a change just for the sake of change to me.
Yes and there needs to be some down time in football for refilling beers and emptying bladders. The PAT is a good time for one or the other or both.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Long overdue IMO. Unless your kicking in a blizzard outdoors....no one even pays any attention to the easiest point in sports because it's an afterthought.
Move it back a bit and keep it there. Even if it goes from 99% to 90% its worth it IMO.

Alan

Legend
PrometheusFaulk asking a pertinent question:
Couldn't agree more PF. What's more, the almost certain score is why going for the 2 point conversion is such a gamble and thus so exciting. If we make the 1 point conversion as hard as the 2 point conversion who would opt to try for only a single point? The fact that the single point conversion is automatic is precisely why I like it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Long overdue.
I can't stand the extra point.
They might as well make td's 7 points if it stays at the 2 yr line.
I've been wanting them to move the spot back for years.

As far as the 2 pt conversion, moving it up would be a mistake. I like it where it is. It's a fun play. In fact, making extra points more difficult, could result in more 2 pt conversions.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think what they're trying to do is just create controversy over whether or not to go for the two point conversion. It seems silly to me.