NFL expected to pass a rule that prevents another Josh McDaniels situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...at-prevents-another-josh-mcdaniels-situation/

Report: NFL expected to pass a rule that prevents another Josh McDaniels situation

Josh McDaniels became the story of the offseason when he reneged on his verbal agreement with the Colts at the last minute in order to stay with the Patriots as their offensive coordinator. He'll likely be the last assistant coach who gets the opportunity to treat another team in that same way.

According to NFL.com's Judy Battista, the NFL is expected to enact a rule that will allow teams to officially hire coaches from teams that are still in the playoffs.

It's a common-sense change and nobody should be opposed to it. What happened with McDaniels earlier this month only shows just how much trouble not having this rule can cause.

McDaniels agreed to become the Colts' coach during the Patriots' playoff run, but was unable to make it official until his season ended. On Jan. 15, CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported that McDaniels was "a virtual lock" to be the Colts' next coach. But McDaniels couldn't officially commit to the job until the Patriots' season ended, which didn't happen until the Super Bowl. Two days after the Super Bowl, the Colts announced that they hired McDaniels officially. Later that day, McDaniels, who never signed a contract, spurned the Colts to remain in New England.

The Colts, who missed out on every other coaching candidate waiting for McDaniels, were left at the altar. They eventually settled for Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich. Reich isn't by any means a bad hire, but he's not the coach the Colts initially wanted. If the Colts knew McDaniels didn't really want their job, their coaching search would've played out entirely differently.

The easy solution? Allow teams to officially hire coaches even if they're still involved in a playoff run. If McDaniels had signed a contract, he wouldn't have been able to simply walk away from his commitment with zero consequences (besides suffering a hit to his reputation). It's not like a coach signing a contract during a playoff run would be too big of a distraction for a playoff team to overcome. Everyone in football -- especially the Patriots -- knew McDaniels had agreed to become the Colts' coach. Signing a contract wouldn't change things.

A rule like this would be beneficial to everyone involved. Teams won't have to be fearful of a McDaniels outcome when they're pursuing assistant coaches on playoff teams. And assistants on playoff teams won't be punished for their team's success.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another Patriots inspired rule change.

:sneaky:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So stupid. Change the rules because of one azzhat
Good grief

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But why not do it? What he did affected a lot of people besides himself and it's a simple fix. Why not do it?
It's not why not do it, it's why should they??
If a coach is "officially" named Head coach of another team, it can create backlash on his current team, and who wants to deal with that during a playoff run? Again, this is only an issue because McDaniels is such a dooshnozzle

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
They should also make it illegal for a coach to ask to be released to join another team in the middle of the season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If a coach is "officially" named Head coach of another team, it can create backlash on his current team, and who wants to deal with that during a playoff run? Again, this is only an issue because McDaniels is such a dooshnozzle
Most importantly, support staff who move their family and change their lives because they believe in a incoming HC. He backs out and these "orphans" are promised a year by management, but the incoming HC likes his own guys and doesn't like staff imposed on him. Orphans morph into scapegoats pretty d@mn fast when shyte goes wrong for a team, which it often happens in a rebuild.

That's why, from my perspective. As for the playoff run, everyone knows the team won't be the same the following year...It's about that moment and I doubt the new HC would give the media the time of day on the subject, just becuse of the possible distraction you mentioned.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

AKA McDildo - :rolllaugh:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most importantly, support staff who move their family and change their lives because they believe in a incoming HC. He backs out and these "orphans" are promised a year by management, but the incoming HC likes his own guys and doesn't like staff imposed on him. Orphans morph into scapegoats pretty d@mn fast when shyte goes wrong for a team, which it often happens in a rebuild.

That's why, from my perspective. As for the playoff run, everyone knows the team won't be the same the following year...It's about that moment and I doubt the new HC would give the media the time of day on the subject, just becuse of the possible distraction you mentioned.
How often has this happened?
Its stupid to create a rule because one jackazz went back on his word.
Indy honored these contracts, all have jobs. Don't project over what you don't know.
I think there is a big difference between speculation, and reality when it comes to naming these guys. It's never been an issue, why start now? McDaniels will be hard pressed to get a HC job after this, I think it should stay that way

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yep, he’s such an S-hole....A.K.A. Typical NE ‘Perp’

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is a good change dudes. The interview times are still restricted by as-available per the team's approval, only difference will be that teams can have the dude sign the dotted line.

It's about time tbh. It's good for the league, now fix the effin catch rule for the love of F.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

If Goodall had the cajones to fine McDaniels, they wouldn't need a new rule, this just kicks the can down the road and lets the prick off with a slap to the wrist.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If this was a common occurrence it would be one thing. But this is such an isolated incident that proposing a rule to prevent it going forward basically absolves McD of wrong doing. Its silly

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think they ought to just make it so you can't negotiate with coaches until the season is over for their team. Then open it up. I don't like them doing it in college either. Make them wait until their kids are done playing for the season - including bowl games.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think they ought to just make it so you can't negotiate with coaches until the season is over for their team. Then open it up. I don't like them doing it in college either. Make them wait until their kids are done playing for the season - including bowl games.

Isn't that also a problem, though? The coaches that make the playoffs would not only be at a disadvantage for the HC positions, but also assembling their staff.

Any team with a vacancy wants to get the new staff started as soon as possible. If they weren't hired until after the postseason, many teams will move on.

Not to mention, the playoff teams will have a better ratio retaining staff.

I think this change had to be made.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Isn't that also a problem, though? The coaches that make the playoffs would not only be at a disadvantage for the HC positions, but also assembling their staff.

Any team with a vacancy wants to get the new staff started as soon as possible If they weren't hired until after the season, many teams will move on.

Not to mention, the playoff teams will have a better ratio retaining staff.

I think this change had to be made.
Yep. Everybody needs to be "released" at same time to sign on to another team's staff.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
McDaniels will be hard pressed to get a HC job after this, I think it should stay that way

He will be the next HC in NE I'm certain of that.

If Goodall had the cajones to fine McDaniels, they wouldn't need a new rule, this just kicks the can down the road and lets the prick off with a slap to the wrist.

I would have preferred a suspension without pay because that would hurt him and the team. The team meddled after he accepted.

That, as @CGI_Ram pointed out would be unfair.

To level the playing field make it so nobody can interview until after the SB. If you have a coach interviewing during the playoffs it cuts into prep time and if he gets hired it could effect things during the playoffs. If everyone has to wait then it fair.

But the NFL is too fucking stupid to do that so they will do the dumbass thing.