NFL expected to give CBS marquee Thursday night games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
NFL expected to give CBS marquee Thursday night games
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 7, 2014

16083a2b791d55fb64c15c767e0f1a68.jpeg
Getty Images

When the NFL regular-season schedule is released, expect the Thursday night games in the first half of the season to look better than the Thursday night games in the second half of the season.

That’s because the NFL plans to give CBS, its new broadcast partner for Thursday nights in the first half of the season, a great package of games to start the season. SportsBusiness Journal reports that the CBS games will be much stronger than ESPN’s Monday Night Football package and much stronger than the Thursday night games in the second half of the season.

In other words, games featuring teams that made the playoffs last year, and teams with the biggest fan bases, will go on CBS early in the season. Games like Texans-Jaguars and Browns-Bills will be relegated to NFL Network late in the season.

Of course, there’s no way to say for sure in April which games will be good in the fall. The NFL is unpredictable enough that Texans-Jaguars or Browns-Bills could turn out to be big games between teams fighting for playoff spots, and Seahawks-49ers or Broncos-Patriots could turn out to be matchups or disappointing teams. The only package that is guaranteed to have strong games is the NBC Sunday night package, which takes advantage of flexible scheduling to move marquee games into prime time.

But the NFL has a pretty good idea in advance which games will generate the largest audiences. And a lot of those games will be on Thursday nights early in the season.

radjohns

UDFA
Good. I'm looking forward to seeing Irv Cross and Phyllis George do their thing.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is always comical to me. How do they know which games are going to be good? How do they know which teams are going to be good or not?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I just heard a very loud cash register RING like a mother fucker. You guys hear that ?

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Personally I love Thursday night games. I know the players and coaches hate it but us fans, want more football!