NFL Execs Tell the Tales of Their Biggest Draft Misses

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was all prepared to give Billy Devaney grief about picking Jason Smith at #2 Overall(2009)...But, man that draft was 7lbs of suck!.....BJ Raji or Brian Orakpo would have been better...We got James Laurenitus in the 2nd round that year..Stafford was picked in front of us, and the next QB was Sanchez..daaamnnn.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I was all prepared to give Billy Devaney grief about picking Jason Smith at #2 Overall(2009)...But, man that draft was 7lbs of suck!.....BJ Raji or Brian Orakpo would have been better...We got James Laurenitus in the 2nd round that year..Stafford was picked in front of us, and the next QB was Sanchez..daaamnnn.
I looked at the top 10 of that draft and it was horrible, just horrible. That's not Devaney's fault, even though he got a lot of grief for it

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yeah, drafting for need in the 1st couple rounds is a bad idea for sure. I am sure there are tons of examples, but I just remember back, I believe in 2002, the Rams forced Robert Thomas late round 1. I felt they could have used Clinton Portis with an aging Faulk who was taken in early round 2, but rb was not considered as big a need as lb.

A better exanple is passing on Polamalu because they had Archuleta. The buzz on draft day indicated Martz really liked Polamalu, but they passed and took Kennedy because it was a greater need.

FrankenRam

Starter
This article should be required reading for everyone on the board.....

From the Bill Parcels story in the article....
For Bill Parcells, the one that got away came in the 1984 supplemental USFL draft. The Bucs chose quarterback Steve Young first, and then the Oilers selected running back Mike Rozier. With the third pick, Parcells' Giants chose a player who would have a Hall of Fame career. But they passed up a player who could have given them a dynasty.
Parcells recalls the team was drawn to offensive tackle Gary Zimmerman because the Giants needed offensive linemen, and their defense already was strong with promising outside linebacker Lawrence Taylor. So the late, great general manager George Young chose Zimmerman—ahead of defensive lineman Reggie White.

"I was not in charge of the draft, but it was not a big argument," Parcells said. "We had them rated closely."
As it turned out, Zimmerman did not want to play for the Giants, so the team traded him to the Vikings for a pair of second-round picks they later would use to select defensive back Mark Collins and safety Greg Lasker.
One pick after the Giants, the Eagles, of all teams, chose White.
"The first game that year, we played Philadelphia," Parcells said. "I think he got two sacks. He was playing defensive tackle, and he wasn't playing every down yet. I remember telling my coaches, 'We're going to have to deal with this guy for a long time.' It was pretty obvious right away. Looking back on it, had we chosen Reggie, I think our defense, which was pretty dominant as it was, would have been really exceptionally strong for a good length of time.
"The combination of Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor would have been something special.
"

Read that and tell me it doesn't sound like a familiar story for some team we all know this year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This article should be required reading for everyone on the board.....

Read that and tell me it doesn't sound like a familiar story for some team we all know this year.
I'm not sure I understand the comparison. The draft you are referring to was of professional players, not college level guys and the Giants were dopes for giving up on Zimmerman as he was a 7 time pro bowler and is in the Hall of Fame