NFL execs name Cooper Kupp one of the most underrated players

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

NFL execs name Cooper Kupp one of the most underrated players
USATSI_14824316.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

11 hours ago
Cooper Kupp isn’t widely considered one of the NFL’s best wide receivers – not yet, at least. However, he is deserving of being placed in that second tier of players after am 1,161-yard, 10-touchdown season in 2019.
His peers recognized his talent on the NFL’s Top 100 Players of 2020 list by voting him the 89th-best player in the league, and executives are taking notice, too. ESPN polled executives across the NFL to find out who are the most underrated players in the league.
Kupp was among them, getting praise from an NFL coach who said the Rams receiver rarely has a matchup that doesn’t favor him.
“Show me a matchup that’s been unfavorable for him,” one NFL head coach said. “I know DBs are always concerned about him. He rarely goes down on first contact, makes the most of his speed. He’ll show a lot this year.”
Kupp wasn’t voted one of the 10 best receivers in the NFL when ESPN originally polled executives to rank players at each position. He didn’t get enough votes to land in the next three spots, either. However, he’s rising the ranks as a highly productive slot receiver, which should continue in 2021 after last year’s breakout season.
He was the only Ram to make the list of the most underrated players in the league, but hopefully next year he’ll be ranked in the top 10 at wideout.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most underrated player on all 32 NFL teams ahead of the 2020 NFL season

LOS ANGELES RAMS: DI AARON DONALD
I’m fully aware that Donald is widely considered the best defensive player in the NFL and arguably the best player in the NFL. My argument is that he is still being underrated when you consider just how dominant he has been since entering the NFL in 2014. He breaks the scale for interior defenders in nearly every metric you consider, and that comes while being double- and triple-teamed more than any other defensive lineman in the NFL.

The five highest pass-rushing grades from a defensive tackle since PFF began charting the NFL in 2006 all belong to Donald over the last five seasons. He has 60 more pressures than any other defender over the last three years — a herculean feat for an interior defender. No matter how you cut it, Donald is just a different breed. The fatigue of listing his accolades and the inability of a number like sacks to truly capture how unblockable he has been is probably leading us to underrate him, whether we’re trying to or not.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I agree... But it might be at the expense of losing Bobby and JJ. It will leave us with with Kupp, VJ and Reynolds.

I doubt we re-sign Reyonlds. I could see Woods being traded as well. We've got the receivers on our team right now, and the receiving class next year is full of quality players.

I've long accepted that JJ3 will not be re-signed. The Budda Baker contract only confirmed it. He'll garner us a third round compensatory pick because when he hits the market, he'll be one of the best players there.

All of that is acceptable. But we absolutely cannot afford to let Ramsey or Kupp go. If Donald and Goff are our linchpins on defense and offense, respectively, Ramsey and Kupp are easily the others we cannot afford to lose.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I agree... But it might be at the expense of losing Bobby and JJ. It will leave us with Kupp, VJ and Reynolds.

Yea agree with @Memento here, JJ and Reynolds are already gone next year. No way we resign one of these two guys. I honestly hope we trade Reynolds any day now so VJ gets a lot more playing time as a rookie. We have to 100% pay Ramsey, even if that means not signing Kupp unfortunately. But I dont want that to happen and ultimately I think we resign both Kupp and Ramsey. We should be able to keep Woods under contract, but he'll need a new deal in the next year or two. Would love for him to stay around as I think he's also one of the most underrated WRs in the NFL and does so much for us...but if it comes down to Woods, Kupp, and Ramsey I think Bobby Trees is the odd man out as much as it hurts me to say that. Hopefully Demoff can sign a team friendly deal with Woods.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure who's underrating him. Fans and opposing teams know he's the real deal.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure who's underrating him. Fans and opposing teams know he's the real deal.

the story said espn asked nfl executives to rank players at each position. it didn't say what position these executives held. how many team executives involved with the running of the teams have time to fill out forms for espn at this time?

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Idk what direction this organization is going, but I hope it comes with a Kupp.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams have two cultural cornerstones in place, in Donald and Goff. Everyone that joins the team, follows the lead of these pieces.

Kupp feels like another one of those.

You just don’t let that type leave the team.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As long as we're playing GM..

Pay Ramsey (basically use Leonard Floyd's money)
Pay Kupp
Extend Woods

Trade Reynolds (would love to get a journeyman true NT to rotate with A'Shawn Robinson when he comes back)
Let JJ3 walk (we have the depth)
Let Everett walk. (we have the depth)
Let Floyd walk (Terrell Lewis is an upgrade here)

Of course, everything is different if the cap takes a nose dive...

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
As long as we're playing GM..

Pay Ramsey (basically use Leonard Floyd's money)
Pay Kupp
Extend Woods

Trade Reynolds (would love to get a journeyman true NT to rotate with A'Shawn Robinson when he comes back)
Let JJ3 walk (we have the depth)
Let Everett walk. (we have the depth)
Let Floyd walk (Terrell Lewis is an upgrade here)

Of course, everything is different if the cap takes a nose dive...
I agree with most your post, just don't count on Lewis, just yet.

Lewis was a 5 star recruit never lived up to his potential period.

I sure has Hell hope he hits, but when a player doesn't hit at Bama with all their coaches players etc etc gives me some doubt.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams are going to be a playoff type roster in terms of contracts for the next few years at least, where they have top guys getting paid and the guys in the middle leaving in FA more often than not.

But irt the top guys, what you want is a great player who also is a student of the game and who won't be looking to put his feet up when he gets that security. Donald is the model for that. And I think Kupp is similar to AD in how he's wired. He's not as dominant as AD but he is in that top group and fits what we do so well. If they don't lock him up I'm gonna be pissed.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Imho Rams have been a team that builds around 5 6 players for years.

That means cap dollars. Basically get those 5 6 top players,build the rest of the roster on the cheap jmho.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I apologize, I kind of just scanned over the AD article before posting and didn't grasp everything I was reading.
I should have put this part in bold print, tripled the text size and recolored the text bright red.

"He( AD,Superman) has 60 more pressures than any other defender over the last three years — a herculean feat for an interior defender. "

I MEAN Damn! I knew our Boy was a Bad A , but Damn! I think this stat shows
just how absolutely dominate he is. I feel truly fortunate to be witnessing
the Greatest DL to EVER play the game and even more fortunate he wears
them Horns. This man deserves some rings!!!