NFL Draft Prospects: Guards Breakdown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Get the 2015 NFL Draft positional breakdown for Offensive Guards. Who are the best run blockers in the 2015 class? Myles Simmons breaks down the following OG prospects: A.J. Cann, Laken Tomlinson, Josue Matias, and Tre Jackson. Includes some player highlights. Will the Rams draft a OG?

Watch Guard Breakdown

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Future Investments: Guards
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-draftprospects/FutureInvestments-Guards/6637a537-541b-4b95-8c62-dda150059380

As we continue to get closer to the NFL Draft’s first round on April 30, the next position on our prospect breakdown series is offensive guards. While it’s more likely that these players will be on the board part the first round, there’s little doubt about the value they can bring to a team in the league.

GUARDS

Tre Jackson

The first of two FSU offensive linemen featured in this post, Jackson was an integral part of the Seminoles’ BCS National Championship run in the 2013 season, and followed that up with a strong campaign in 2014 as well. He played in 49 games for Florida State, starting 42 of them.

He’s also been well decorated, as he was a unanimous All-American in 2014, and received 1st-team All-ACC honors in both 2013 and 2014. He was a second-team All-ACC honoree in 2012 as well.

His nfl.com draft profile highlights his ability to stay balanced in pas protection, but it also describes him as a player who will have to work to control his weight. At 6-foot-4, 330 pounds, Jackson is certainly a big guy. One of the other knocks on Jackson is that he did not necessarily distinguish himself form the field of guards in the 2014 season.

A.J. Cann

A four-year starter at South Carolina, Cann has shown that he’s quite durable as a player up front. He made 51 starts as a Gamecock -- the second most in program history -- steadily holding down the left guard position for the last few years.

He was named an All-American by many media outlets, he was also a first-team All-SEC honoree for 2014. Additionally, Cann served as a team captain in his junior and senior seasons.

His draft profile talks about how he has done a better job as a run blocker than a pass blocker, given his tendency for his weight to get a little too far out in front. Thus, the 6-foot-3, 313-pound guard could also do a better job of staying balanced.

Laken Tomlinson

Tomlinson is one of the most interesting prospects in the draft given what he says he’d like to do after he finishes his football career. He talked at both the Senior Bowl and combine about wanting to become a doctor, specifically a neurosurgeon.

As for what he’s done on the field, Tomlinson has excelled for Duke playing right guard. He started every game at the position following his redshirt season in 2010. He was a first-team All-ACC honoree and the AP named him a first-team All-American.

According to his draft profile, he responds well to defensive twist games in pass protection. He also has displayed that he can generate pretty good push when going straight ahead, though he has had some more difficulty when blocking at the second level.

Josue Matias

The second of two top-talented guards from Florida State, Matias played at left guard for the past few seasons, helping the Seminoles win their BCS National Championship. He made 43 consecutive starts since the Champs Sports Bowl as a True Freshman. He was a second-team All-ACC honoree in 2014.

Matias has been particularly adept at pass blocking, according to his nfl.com draft profile. He developed a reputation for rarely giving up a sack. His build -- 6-foot-5, 309 pounds -- makes him resemble a tackle, though he’s excelled at guard. While he could use a little more explosiveness at the point of attack, his experience makes him a good prospect at his position this year.

Also worth a mention…

- Ali Marpet (Hobart)

- Arie Kouandjio (Alabama)

- John Miller (Louisville)

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've always wondered about the overall impact of this position on offenses when it comes to comparing players.

Zack Martin was a Pro Bowl Player as a rookie. And at times he seemed to get slightly more than his fair share of credit for the Cowboys offensive success this year. Demarco Murray had a career season with 1,845 yards rushing at a 4.7 ypc clip and the Cowboys scored a buttload of points.

But, the year before Murray rushed for 1,121 yards at a 5.2 ypc clip while missing two games. And this behind the same OLine with the exception of a declining 36 year old Brian Waters (5 games) & Mackenzy Bernadeau (11 games) playing in Martin's current spot. And the Cowboys still scored a buttload of points.

Did Martin really make that much of a difference over the prior starters? Murray averaged more ypc the prior season and the team merely focused on running the football more this past season. Would 2nd Rounder Joel Bitino (who also played well as a rookie) be a Pro Bowler if he were in Dallas instead?

Anyway, I could see the overall impact difference offensively between guys like Larry Allen, Steve Hutchinson, or Alan Faneca (the minority elite) vs. an average to above average guards. But, due to the nature of the position I've been hard pressed to see the overall difference in an offenses success with OLines of merely solid to above average players. If one goes down, another one replaces him (if available) and the offenses seem to chug right along with little difference.

thehammer

Rookie
agree with Memphis and the same thing applies for DT's

Dallas went from 8-8 in 2013 to 12-4 BUT the team scored 439 in 13 and 467 in 2014...adding Martin didn't add pts to their offense

just as in chess players have different values....personally against using a #1 on a guard

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I've always wondered about the overall impact of this position on offenses when it comes to comparing players.

Zack Martin was a Pro Bowl Player as a rookie. And at times he seemed to get slightly more than his fair share of credit for the Cowboys offensive success this year. Demarco Murray had a career season with 1,845 yards rushing at a 4.7 ypc clip and the Cowboys scored a buttload of points.

But, the year before Murray rushed for 1,121 yards at a 5.2 ypc clip while missing two games. And this behind the same OLine with the exception of a declining 36 year old Brian Waters (5 games) & Mackenzy Bernadeau (11 games) playing in Martin's current spot. And the Cowboys still scored a buttload of points.

Did Martin really make that much of a difference over the prior starters? Murray averaged more ypc the prior season and the team merely focused on running the football more this past season. Would 2nd Rounder Joel Bitino (who also played well as a rookie) be a Pro Bowler if he were in Dallas instead?

Anyway, I could see the overall impact difference offensively between guys like Larry Allen, Steve Hutchinson, or Alan Faneca (the minority elite) vs. an average to above average guards. But, due to the nature of the position I've been hard pressed to see the overall difference in an offenses success with OLines of merely solid to above average players. If one goes down, another one replaces him (if available) and the offenses seem to chug right along with little difference.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. The reason the Martin pick is so revealed is because he was a perfect pick for the "Cowboys. Drafting...and you know this is not always about the players skillset its about how that players skill set functions within the team. Martin also provides position versatility for Dallas. Martin was an upgrade but not the sole reason for Dallas' success. You make a good point with Bitonio but it helps he was plugged between Thomas and Mack.

I tend to lean you way in regards to G's can be found in the later rounds. Recent history suggests teams are willing to invest at G sooner, like Warmack, Cooper, Martin etc. I still believe you build outside in with your tackles, then Center then guard. To argue my point I would not be opposed to drafting a guy like Martin or Scherff who likely play G in the NFL but also can slip outside do have value in the teens.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I understand and respect both of your opinions. ....but I disagree completely. You do not know you have drafted some one of Allen, Fanica, Hutchinson 's greatness until some years down the road. After which, if you have not drafted said future hall of famer, you pay out the nose for him in FA. Also it's not merely the points put up but the way Dallas did it,this year, churning out long meticulous drives, allowing a by all accounts porous defense time to rest and scheme. It's about knowing your o-line can get the yards you need on 3rd and 1 or two.

Now how we get there I'm not sure.....but I would surely disagree that you cannot just plug someone else into the same guard spot and get the same results. No way no how.....Martin was dominant at the point of the attack, especially for a rookie. And it would be just as ludicrous to assume that any wide receiver would have the same results as Bryant plugged into the same offense with the same qb and supporting cast. I think that NFL used to think this way but no longer does. That's why each year you see the guards with the most talent and mixture of athleticism and versatility going higher and higher. Just last year the Rams were trying to trade up to pick 17, mortgaging future picks , trying to draft that Guard Martin who Dallas drafted at 16.
Obviously just my opinion. ....keep up the good work guys...... ;)

Go Rams............... ;)

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like Fisher and Snead targeting a player for talent and not position. Sure they do value certain positions but when they see talent they know it. They had Martin rated in that 11 range because he is good.

With NFL defenses currently trying to collapse the pocket more with an inside pass rush the Guard position has become more important. Some say that Guards are as important as Tackles these days.

But where is the difference? Well if you have a bad unit and add a great player to it then you see a more noticeable difference from having that guy on the line. If you have a very good unit and add a great player then the difference is not as noticeable. Aaron Donald played great for the Rams but did he make the Rams Dline play that much better than the year before? I don't think so since they vied for the sack lead. But he is still a great player that had a great year.

I'd take a Guard in the first round if he was a pro bowl talent. What is better in the first round? To get a Pro Bowl offensive guard or get a good defense end? I would like to get all pros in round 1 every year no matter what the position. An offensive line can function very well with just three very good players and two average players. Sometimes just having one great Olinemen to lead the group can make a huge difference in performance. Logan Mankins was the mainstay of the Patriots line for years. They were not loaded with talent but they had that leader on the line.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I understand and respect both of your opinions. ....but I disagree completely. You do not know you have drafted some one of Allen, Fanica, Hutchinson 's greatness until some years down the road. After which, if you have not drafted said future hall of famer, you pay out the nose for him in FA. Also it's not merely the points put up but the way Dallas did it,this year, churning out long meticulous drives, allowing a by all accounts porous defense time to rest and scheme. It's about knowing your o-line can get the yards you need on 3rd and 1 or two.

Now how we get there I'm not sure.....but I would surely disagree that you cannot just plug someone else into the same guard spot and get the same results. No way no how.....Martin was dominant at the point of the attack, especially for a rookie. And it would be just as ludicrous to assume that any wide receiver would have the same results as Bryant plugged into the same offense with the same qb and supporting cast. I think that NFL used to think this way but no longer does. That's why each year you see the guards with the most talent and mixture of athleticism and versatility going higher and higher. Just last year the Rams were trying to trade up to pick 17, mortgaging future picks , trying to draft that Guard Martin who Dallas drafted at 16.
Obviously just my opinion. ....keep up the good work guys...... ;)

Go Rams............... ;)

But, you seem to be in disagreement with something that even wasn't said.

No one is saying just plug just anybody else into a spot and get the same results. That makes no sense. The point was that somewhat comparable players can be substituted for another and the offense still keeps chugging along.

Also, the Cowboys could have churned out long meticulous drives, allowing a by all accounts porous defense time to rest and scheme in 2013, pre Martin, when Murray had an even higher yard per carry. They just finally came to their senses last season and dedicated themselves to running the football.

Finally, while Larry Allen may have been a surprise coming from a small school, Hutchinson and Faneca were bonifide STUDs coming out of college. Both were said to have even been capable of being STUDs at OT if they had to do so. Not just get by.

rams56

Name
Steve
Inte
But, you seem to be in disagreement with something that even wasn't said.

No one is saying just plug just anybody else into a spot and get the same results. That makes no sense. The point was that somewhat comparable players can be substituted for another and the offense still keeps chugging along.

Also, the Cowboys could have churned out long meticulous drives, allowing a by all accounts porous defense time to rest and scheme in 2013, pre Martin, when Murray had an even higher yard per carry. They just finally came to their senses last season and dedicated themselves to running the football.

Finally, while Larry Allen may have been a surprise coming from a small school, Hutchinson and Faneca were bonifide STUDs coming out of college. Both were said to have even been capable of being STUDs at OT if they had to do so. Not just get by.

As I've said it's very possible that the Rams consider Collins and Shreff...to be potentially elite as they did Martin last year.... and it is devaluing the position to state that you can draft a guard in the 3rd round that is close to or as good as one drafted in the 1st....but guard and center is the only position that that rule applies to. That even if the guard isn't as good it doesn't matter because he can be covered......

Go Rams............ ;)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Inte

As I've said it's very possible that the Rams consider Collins and Shreff...to be potentially elite as they did Martin last year.... and it is devaluing the position to state that you can draft a guard in the 3rd round that is close to or as good as one drafted in the 1st....but guard and center is the only position that that rule applies to. That even if the guard isn't as good it doesn't matter because he can be covered......

Go Rams............ ;)

Anything is possible. And if the Rams feel that they are clearly the BPA, then I'd expect them to go that route.

No one seems to have any problem if someone like Bill Polian or any former GM or respected draft pundit says that they have a 1st round grade on so many players, but after that, the player you get one spot below said top tier is the same as the next 30-50 guys. But, if one takes note of the depth of a particular position in the draft, focuses on that position, and says the same thing he's deemed wrong.

Sorry, but I simply don't believe that there really isn't a noticeable difference in an offense if on the OLine somewhat comparable players are substituted for either other. It's just the nature of the position as group play is so much more important than mere individual talent.

rams56

Name
Steve
Anything is possible. And if the Rams feel that they are clearly the BPA, then I'd expect them to go that route.

No one seems to have any problem if someone like Bill Polian or any former GM or respected draft pundit says that they have a 1st round grade on so many players, but after that, the player you get one spot below said top tier is the same as the next 30-50 guys. But, if one takes note of the depth of a particular position in the draft, focuses on that position, and says the same thing he's deemed wrong.

Sorry, but I simply don't believe that there really isn't a noticeable difference in an offense if on the OLine somewhat comparable players are substituted for either other. It's just the nature of the position as group play is so much more important than mere individual talent.
Although we differ on opinions.... I respect yours very much ....you do your homework and I like that....so when we debate I appreciate you taking the time. Thanks Memphis. ..please don't get frustrated with me.....;)

Go Rams........... ;)

rams56

Name
Steve
I think that when you draft a guard in the first round it's because he is athletic enough to play multiple positions....... versatile enough to be scheme diverse and has the potential to be at the very upper echelon at they're position in a very short time. When you draft a guard in the later rounds he is usually scheme specific. ..not athletic enough to play outside.....but could still be a probowler at some point.... it will probably just take longer.....that's not to say there isn't that late round jem every so often.....that's all I have on this subject...lol I'm guarded out....lol

Go Rams.......... ;)