NFL Draft Needs: Rams NEED Dennard (Shutdown Corner)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
yeah... you're right. He consistently lets WR's cross in front of his face. His LOS technique is not good. He relies on his athletic ability to make up ground. That is NOT going to work in the NFL. He needs a good CB coach, for sure
I'd like to think Jeff Fisher and Chuck Cecil would qualify as good DB coaches and I'm sure Greg williams could help him out just a bit. His abilites and instincts are there. Just need to clean up some of the stupid obvious contact stuff.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'd like to think Jeff Fisher and Chuck Cecil would qualify as good DB coaches and I'm sure Greg williams could help him out just a bit. His abilites and instincts are there. Just need to clean up some of the stupid obvious contact stuff.

Yup. He's an obvious upgrade over Tru as well.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Yup. He's an obvious upgrade over Tru as well.
Did I hint that he's a upgrade over tru? No. Is he a upgrade over Janoris? Probably.

BREAKING NEWS: THIS JUST IN.... MORE THAN 2 DECENT CB'S ARE NEEDED IN TODAY'S NFL... MORE TO FOLLOW when this ground breaking, Earth shattering news develops.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I'd trade back at 13 if the choices were Lewan or Dennard. The Rams can get a comparable CB a few spots later. Thing is there may be a run on corners starting at 13. There are four CB needy teams in a row....in any order, Verrett, Dennard, Gilbert, Roby, etc...

I agree we need a CB desperately but not Dennard.

This keeps coming up so I'm going to do a quick rundown on what I'm seeing. Here's just one video:

The first play of the video, he shows poor ball skills. He just looks completely lost trying to find the ball.

The second play you see him do the exact same thing. He's not even looking for the ball. On this play, however, you see him grabbing him as early as the 20 but it gets really bad in the endzone. Just look at 10's jersey. That's a flag in the NFL.

The third play[:43] Solid coverage. Maybe slightly beat by the WR but I'd call it solid.

The 4th play[1:00] he actually gets called for holding this time. This is what I see from him pretty often. He grabs the WR to prevent them from beating him.

[1:21] The WR was open if the QB just throws the ball in the right spot. Mayock even mentions it.

[1:38] Pretty similar to the last play, only in the middle of the field. The QB overthrows the WR. Dennard was pretty close to him so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

[1:53] The WR has Dennard beat for a while but he closes the gap at the last second but the WR still beats him for the ball.

[2:20] Looks like pass interference from the WR first and then Dennard.

[2:33] Dennard grabs him so badly that he throws the WR to the ground. Gets called for it.

[3:06] Should have caught that, IMO

[3:13] Hard to see anything. I'll just leave off the plays that don't show much from now on.

[3:25] Good coverage there.

[3:50] Gets beat again so you'll see him grab the jersey of the WR.

[4:04] I don't know how he isn't flagged. Grabs and then pushed off the WR to get the INT. It's after 5 yards.

[4:16] Coverage is kinda irrelevant on the play but you get to see his poor tackling skills. I could do another video on that if people want. This video mainly just shows coverage, though.

[4:40] He goes back to his grabbing. Should have been called but isn't. You can see his shoulder being pulled back by Dennard.

[5:00] Not the best tackle, but not bad either. He did rip the ball free, too.

[5:11] Good play. Times it perfectly to disrupt the catch.

[5:30] QB probably could have connected with the WR but at least Dennard showed decent coverage. You do see him grab again, though. Wasn't as bad on that play.

[5:58] He's beat and the WR makes the catch.

[6:15] He's beat again but WR drops the ball. QB could have thrown it a little better.

This is just one video. Others show the tackling aspect of his game. I'll do this to another video if people want me to but I don't even know if people care what I think. I'm mainly just doing this to show my thinking when I watch him. I see a guy that grabs A LOT, doesn't have the best ball skills, and isn't a very good tackler.

I don't believe there is a shutdown corner in this draft.

Ha-Ha at #13 is the right move. View attachment 1695

yeah... you're right. He consistently lets WR's cross in front of his face. His LOS technique is not good. He relies on his athletic ability to make up ground. That is NOT going to work in the NFL. He needs a good CB coach, for sure

Darqueze Dennard turning heads in Bengals camp
  • 0ap1000000222748.jpg

• By Chris Wesseling
    • Around the League Writer
    • Published: Aug. 7, 2014 at 05:10 p.m.
Early in Darqueze Dennard's first training camp, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport noted that the Cincinnati Bengals' first-round cornerback has shown better than advertised ball skills.

Coach Marvin Lewis raised the stakes on Thursday, crediting the former Michigan State star as "the best rookie corner I've seen," per Dan Hoard, the radio voice of the Bengals.
That's high praise considering two of Lewis' teams drafted first-round cornerbacks in back-to-back years.
As Ravens defensive coordinator, Lewis coached Duane Starks (No. 10 overall, 1998) and Chris McAlister (No. 10 overall, 1999). As Bengals head coach, he tutored a pair of decorated corners in Johnathan Joseph (No. 24, 2006) and Leon Hall (No. 18, 2007).
"If he stays on this path," veteran cornerback Terence Newman said of Dennard, via ESPN.com, "the sky's the limit for him."
The Bengals don't plan to start Dennard "right off the bat," according to Hoard, but he will see plenty of snaps in nickel and dime packages.
With two cornerbacks over age 30 (Newman and Adam Jones), another returning from a second Achilles surgery (Leon Hall) and a fourth who has yet to live up to his first-round pedigree (Dre Kirkpatrick), it's not a stretch to suggest Dennard could emerge as the best of the bunch by the end of his rookie season.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Yes not Earth shattering breakings news like as I reported before but first sign of a player being a man amogst boys is reports like these. just like our Boy Aaron Mc Ronald Mc Donald.. Long live #NOFLYZONE

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The season hasn't even started. The way the refs are making contact calls in preseason Dennard better not play clutch and grab like he did in college.

I don't think we will be wishing for Dennard over Donald in the end either.

Alan

Legend
The Rammer with this head turner?:
Kate Upton turning heads in Al's house
kate-upton-body-paint-sports-illustrated-swimsuit-body-paint-9.jpg

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
While I would have liked to get Dennard, I would have much rather got Donald. CBs like Dennard aren't are rare as DTs like Donald. Having a DT that can be a deadly pass rusher is extremely rare.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
  • 0ap1000000222748.jpg

• By Chris Wesseling
    • Around the League Writer
    • Published: Aug. 7, 2014 at 05:10 p.m.
Early in Darqueze Dennard's first training camp, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport noted that the Cincinnati Bengals' first-round cornerback has shown better than advertised ball skills.
Coach Marvin Lewis raised the stakes on Thursday, crediting the former Michigan State star as "the best rookie corner I've seen," per Dan Hoard, the radio voice of the Bengals.
That's high praise considering two of Lewis' teams drafted first-round cornerbacks in back-to-back years.
As Ravens defensive coordinator, Lewis coached Duane Starks (No. 10 overall, 1998) and Chris McAlister (No. 10 overall, 1999). As Bengals head coach, he tutored a pair of decorated corners in Johnathan Joseph (No. 24, 2006) and Leon Hall (No. 18, 2007).
"If he stays on this path," veteran cornerback Terence Newman said of Dennard, via ESPN.com, "the sky's the limit for him."
The Bengals don't plan to start Dennard "right off the bat," according to Hoard, but he will see plenty of snaps in nickel and dime packages.
With two cornerbacks over age 30 (Newman and Adam Jones), another returning from a second Achilles surgery (Leon Hall) and a fourth who has yet to live up to his first-round pedigree (Dre Kirkpatrick), it's not a stretch to suggest Dennard could emerge as the best of the bunch by the end of his rookie season.

What can I say; you were right. I do like our draft approach though. As much of an issue our secondary may be its still a good idea to build the team from the inside out. Plus a good scene and a solid pass rush can make average DB's much better.

Alan

Legend
I stand by my statement that Dennard isn't a shutdown corner but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be an upgrade over what we have. You can't build Rome in a day. FS, OLB, CB, OT are all priorities in next year's draft IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I stand by my statement that Dennard isn't a shutdown corner but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be an upgrade over what we have. You can't build Rome in a day. FS, OLB, CB, OT are all priorities in next year's draft IMO.
Agree with so much of this...hell maybe corner too...But lets see them play a few more...But LB & OT is a must IMO

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
While I would have liked to get Dennard, I would have much rather got Donald. CBs like Dennard aren't are rare as DTs like Donald. Having a DT that can be a deadly pass rusher is extremely rare.

This.

If Dennard becomes elite, it becomes a debate.

36 CB's were drafted in 2014, more than any other position. There is an abundance of them, if nothing else.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 with his priorities:
]Agree with so much of this...hell maybe corner too...But lets see them play a few more...But LB & OT is a must IMO
After watching the game last night, FS is still my top priority but OLB is inching up.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Watching practice the other day with a couple friends it occurred to us that if the Rams could get a shutdown like corner in the next draft and move Jenks inside and Joyner to S. It make the defense elite. Then with the next pick get a Ogeltree clone and it would be come one of the best defense in decades.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Agree with so much of this...hell maybe corner too...But lets see them play a few more...But LB & OT is a must IMO

Why OT? We can resign Barksdale for a decent price, he definitely won't break the bank. We still have Long at LT, and Robinson will kick out there soon. We need depth, but it's not really a "must".

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
It's going to be interesting to see that play out. He might cost more than we think.

Maybe. He's a solid right tackle. Breno Giacomini got about $4.5M a year, and he blows.

If Andrus Peat is available for us in the draft, I would happily let Barksdale walk though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Why OT? We can resign Barksdale for a decent price, he definitely won't break the bank. We still have Long at LT, and Robinson will kick out there soon. We need depth, but it's not really a "must".
What makes you say that? Definitely we should be prepared...unless Barrett Jones steps on the field and makes me go, "wow" I'm thinking center may need to be addressed too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Maybe. He's a solid right tackle. Breno Giacomini got about $4.5M a year, and he blows.

If Andrus Peat is available for us in the draft, I would happily let Barksdale walk though.
Or Irving from FSU

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
What makes you say that? Definitely we should be prepared...unless Barrett Jones steps on the field and makes me go, "wow" I'm thinking center may need to be addressed too.

Partly because I think teams aren't going to overpay for an average RT. He doesn't perform particularly great in any area of the game. And, it's not really a premium position and you can find average RTs fairly easy. There look to be quite a few RTs better than Barksdale in the 2015 FA anyway.

And, like we said, this OT class looks pretty good. The teams that need a RT aren't going to pay a lot of money for Barskdale when Peat, Erving, Ogbuehi are all top tackle prospects. Maybe it's just a gut feeling of mine, but I don't think he's going to cost too much.

Agree with center too. Concerned with Scott Wells and his injuries, and so far am not impressed with the backups.