NFL draft: Linebackers--Rams Needs/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

NFL draft: Linebackers

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_98249c35-5095-5eb3-9ed4-d65b03bdb4b9.html

CREAM OF THE CROP

Player, Pos. School, Ht., Wt.

Khalil Mack, Buffalo, 6-3, 251

More than just a dangerous edge-rusher; makes plays in coverage and can play the run.

Anthony Barr, UCLA, 6-5, 255

Former RB had 23½ sacks after converting to OLB in 2012; raw but very athletic.

Ryan Shazier, Ohio State, 6-1, 237

Aggressive all-around run-and-hit playmaker; should excel in a 4-3 front as OLB.

C.J. Mosley, Alabama, 6-2, 234

Butkus Award winner plays with urgency and instinct. Has had shoulder, hip, elbow issues.

Kyle Van Noy, BYU, 6-3, 243

All-Independent defensive player of year had 13 sacks, 22 tackles for loss, six forced fumbles.

DON’T OVERLOOK

Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech; Chris Borland, Wisconsin; Carl Bradford, Arizona State; Christian Jones, Florida State; Telvin Smith, Florida State; Trevor Reilly, Utah; Jordan Tripp, Montana.

LOCAL LINE

Iowa defensive captain Christian Kirksey (Hazelwood East HS) projects as a middle-round pick; Jonathan Brown of Illinois projects as a middle- to late-round pick. Both participated in the Senior Bowl.

FUN FACT

Shazier’s father, Vernon Shazier, is pastor at Mount Bethel Baptist Church in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and is a team chaplain for the Miami Dolphins.

QUOTABLE

”I feel like I’ve done a lot of things that people around me haven’t done. I scored five career touchdowns playing defense, so I feel like I’m an offensive player on defense. ... I feel like getting the ball is key. At the end of the day, it’s all about getting the ball.” — BYU’s Van Noy.

RAMS NEEDS

All three starters return from a year ago, and Ray Ray Armstrong could compete for playing time from scrimmage after being one of the team’s core special teams players as a rookie. But depth is needed. Mack and Shazier were both brought in for pre-draft visits, however, and both would obviously provide much more than depth.

RATING THE FIELD

Mack and Barr have elite talent, with Mack a possible top 5 pick and Barr a top 15. Shazier and Mosley should also go in first round. It’s a decent group overall, with several potential pass-rushers but not much in the way of inside LBs.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mack goes from obscurity to top of draft class
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a0e1d154-5979-5946-9f66-66eef45b051c.html

For three years, Khalil Mack was a highly productive yet relatively unknown college linebacker, tucked away at Buffalo in the Mid-American Conference. Then came the Bulls’ 2013 season opener at mighty Ohio State.

The Buckeyes won the game easily enough, 40-20, but Mack’s footprints were all over Ohio Stadium by the end of the day. He had nine tackles, 2½ sacks and an interception that he returned for a touchdown.

“He blew ’em up,” said analyst Mike Mayock of the NFL Network. “I mean, he made plays all over the field, on the edge, dropping into coverage. Explosion. Hustle.”

That performance put Mack on the map, and entering the draft May 8-10 every draftnik — and certainly every scout — knows all about him to the point where he’s a sure top 10 pick and a probably top 5.

“He runs like a safety,” Mayock said. “He explodes off the edge. From my perspective in today’s NFL, guys that have natural edge-rush ability are like gold. You’ve got to get them when they’re available.”

The player known as the Mack Truck rolled his way to 100 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 10½ sacks, seven pass breakups, three interceptions (two of which he returned for TDs) and five forced fumbles playing outside linebacker in the Bulls’ 3-4 alignment in 2013. Now that’s a stat line.

He holds the Football Bowl Subdivision record for career forced fumbles (16) and tied the FBS career mark for tackles for loss (75).

At the NFL scouting combine, Mack ran the 40-yard dash in 4.65 seconds, which is moving at 6-3, 251 pounds. So as edge-rushers goes, Mack may not be quite as athletic as South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, but he has a more well-rounded game. Mack can also drop in coverage and play the run. Clowney is a pass-rusher, and a ... pass-rusher.

One of the interesting wrinkles on the Rams’ “top 30” visits this spring was to see Mack on the guest list. They already have a very productive middle linebacker (James Laurinaitis) and weakside linebacker (Alec Ogletree) who rarely leave the field. They also re-signed last year’s starting strongside linebacker, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, in free agency.

Even so, former Rams linebackers coach and current NFL radio analyst Rick Venturi says it’s easier seeing Mack fit into the Rams’ defensive scheme than Clowney.

“Mack could come in and be your SAM (strongside linebacker),” Venturi said. “And on third down, then you put Mack on one side of the line, and Robert Quinn on the other side. And then you move Chris Long inside and pair him up with William Hayes, or however you want to put your best four rushers in the game.”

And go get the quarterback. Mack had 28½ career sacks in college, so he was more than a one-year wonder rushing the passer.

Mack grew up in Fort Pierce, Fla., about 90 minutes north of Fort Lauderdale, and was more into basketball than football until his senior year of high school. Buffalo was the only FBS school to offer a scholarship. After a redshirt season in 2009, he became a fixture in the lineup for the next four years.

He did miss the 2012 opener, the result of a suspension for getting into a fight with a teammate. After that season, Mack seriously considered turning pro when projected as a third- or fourth-rounder, but decided to stay for his senior season.

One game into 2013, against Ohio State, changed those projections.

“I feel like there was a lot of people watching that game,” Mack said. “It helped me tremendously. I got a lot of single blocks, and it just so happened I played off of a cut-block and got an interception. So there were a lot of things that played into my favor in that game. Hard work does pay off.”

The fact that the Buckeyes didn’t do anything extra to try to contain him, such as double-teams or chip blocks, helped motivate Mack.

“I feel like it was sort of a little disrespect from a schematic approach,” he said. “But at the same time, I wanted to make them pay for it.”

Yes, Mack is the sort who plays with a chip on his shoulder — a chip that was planted in part by something as innocuous as an NCAA football video game. The first time he was rated in the game, Mack said he had a low rating of 46.

“It was a slap in the face, man,” Mack said. “Because I knew deep down in my heart, I was better than a 46.”

He had jersey No. 46 at the time for Buffalo and decided to keep it throughout his college career because of that rating. Sort of a reminder, as it were. Turns out, Mack is a lot better than 46. He’s more like a top five.

“I just want to keep proving myself,” Mack said. “I want to be the best.”

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Ray Ray has been training hard this offseason and I have a feeling he might steal a starting spot.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't know. He's energetic and fast but hot headed.

I'm kind of surprised he's still on the team the way he snapped back at Fisher after a play.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams draft preview: Linebacker
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7845/rams-draft-preview-linebacker

The NFL draft is set to begin May 8 and the St. Louis Rams hold 12 picks in this year's selection process. For the next week and a half, we'll take a look at a different position every day with what the Rams have in place at a position, what they need, when they might address it and some possible fits.

We begin the countdown with a look at this year's crop of linebackers.

In place: James Laurinaitis (starter), Alec Ogletree (starter), Jo-Lonn Dunbar (starter), Ray Ray Armstrong, Daren Bates, Phillip Steward, Etienne Sabino

What's needed: The Rams re-signed Dunbar to a two-year contract during free agency, essentially easing the need to add a possible third starting linebacker to expected stalwarts Laurinaitis and Ogletree. Dunbar might not be the long term solution, but he figures to be better in 2014 after a four-game suspension threw his 2013 season into flux. With Gregg Williams in as defensive coordinator, Dunbar should be able to get closer to the 2012 version of himself rather than last year's. In reality, the Rams don't have a huge, pressing need for any linebackers, though they could potentially look for an option to push Dunbar or possibly even start over him. They like Armstrong's potential, but it's probably too early to project him as a possible starter. A pass-rushing type at linebacker would be a helpful addition as would someone who could serve as a backup to Laurinaitis.

Possible fits: It seems unlikely the Rams will look to add a linebacker in the early rounds, but it would be unwise to unilaterally rule it out. Buffalo's Khalil Mack and Ohio State's Ryan Shazier are likely first-round picks who both came to St. Louis for pre-draft visits. Mack might not be the ideal fit in terms of scheme, but he does bring that pass-rushing element and could be a bit of a sleeper for the team's first choice. Alabama's C.J. Mosley is another player the Rams have some interest in who could be intriguing if he lasts to No. 13 based on value and the fact that he could provide some versatility. More likely, though, the Rams will wait until later to add some help at this position. Getting into those later rounds, players such as Florida State's Telvin Smith and Christian Jones, BYU's Kyle Van Noy, Montana's Jordie Tripp and Arizona State's Carl Bradford could be logical additions.

Verdict: The temptation to take Mack would be understandable given his skill set and the many ways Williams can deploy him, but his selection would still come as a surprise considering that he's not clearly better than players who play positions of more pressing need. Mosley might be a bit of a sleeper in his own right as a possible first-round pick should he fall to 13, but again the guess here is that the Rams choose to wait and add a linebacker or two in the later rounds. With a dozen picks and many of them toward the back of the draft it would make sense for the team to wait to add more depth here.