NFL Draft History: 1980

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
When the NFL Draft finally made it into the TV listings
Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 29, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptg1mwe3zdi1ntqznzy1nwy3ytjmymm4ytmznme4odlk-e1398786060428.jpeg
Getty Images

As with any other draft years removed, a look back at the 1980 NFL Draft is a trip through the memory bank.

And for draftniks of all ages, the 1980 draft, which kicked off 34 years ago Tuesday, is of particular historical importance, for it was the first draft televised, according to the league. ESPN, which had been on-air for less than a year, broadcast the event, as it does now.

The Lions began the 1980 draft by selecting Oklahoma running back Billy Sims, who made the Pro Bowl three times in his first four seasons before a knee injury in the midst of an outstanding 1984 season ended his career.

Two picks later, the first future Hall of Famer of the Class of 1980 was taken, with the Bengals selecting USC offensive tackle Anthony Munoz, an 11-time All-Pro. In the latter stages of the round, another Hall of Famer came off the board, as Syracuse wideout Art Monk landed with Washington at No. 18. Monk would go on to play for three Super Bowl-winning teams for Washington.

Then, in Round Two, the Dolphins selected one of the great centers of all-time, taking Alabama’s Dwight Stephenson 48 picks into the draft. Like Monk and Munoz, Stephenson is in Canton, and all three players made the NFL’s 1980s All-Decade Team.

It was, glancing now at the picks, a lot like other drafts — some standouts, some busts. But it was the first you could glance on TV, provided you had the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.
----------------------------------
NFL Draft 1980

Los Angeles Rams:

1:17 - Johnnie Johnson//DBTexas

2:50 - Irvin Pankey/T/Penn State

3:58 - Jewerl Thomas/RB/San Jose State

3:70 - LeRoy Irvin/DB/Kansas

3:82 - Phil Murphy/DT/South Carolina State

6:154 - Mike Guman/RB/Penn State

7:176 - Kirk Collins/DB/Baylor

7:192 - Gerry Ellis/RB/Missouri

8:220 - Tom Pettigrew/T/Eastern Illinois

9:248 - George Farmer/WR/Southern University

10:276 - Bob Gruber/T/Pittsburgh

11:304 - Terry Greer/WR/Alabama State

12:332 - Kevin Scanlon/RB/Arkansas

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I was born in 1980 and none of those draft picks are known to me aka clueless. :(

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
JJ Pankey and Irvin started and were great players. Guman also stared and was a big contributor. Great Draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I was born in 1980 and none of those draft picks are known to me aka clueless. :(
There are a few good picks in there. Jewel Thomas's feet were too quick for grass. He'd always just spin out. Probably would have been an All-Pro on turf today.

Pankey, Irvin, and JJ were solid.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Back when ESPN was good. I used to enjoy watching the CFL at odd hours of the morning.