NFL draft: Defensive line--Rams Needs/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFL draft: Defensive line
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e778f68d-ca85-5930-a18d-0921eb7b32a0.html

CREAM OF THE CROP

Player, Pos., School, Ht., Wt.

Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina, 6-5, 266

A once-in-a-decade type talent whose production and work ethic came into question in 2013.

Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh, 6-1, 285

Lacks ideal size, but superior quickness could make him disruptive 4-3 interior pass rusher.

Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri, 6-4, 273

Quick, fluid pass rusher who also played the run well in college. Has plenty of upside.

Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame, 6-2, 331

Powerful wide-body is the best nose tackle in this year’s draft, but moves well for a big man.

Dee Ford, DE, Auburn, 6-2, 252

Might have to be a situational pass rusher in NFL because of size, but is electric around the edge.

DON'T OVERLOOK

Scott Crichton (DE), Oregon State; Dominique Easley (DT), Florida; Ra’Shede Hageman (DT), Minnesota; Timmy Jernigan (DT), Florida State; Stephon Tuitt (DT), Notre Dame.

LOCAL LINE

Kony Ealy, who grew up in St. Louis, will be MU’s seventh first rounder in the last six drafts; Missouri DE Michael Sam projects as a mid- to late-round pick.

FUN FACT

After growing up in the inner-city of St. Louis, Ealy moved to the Bootheel area of southeast Missouri just before high school. He lived in the town of Lilbourn (population 1,161), where the Freeze Queen restaurant is known for its chicken strips.

QUOTABLE

“Yeah man, my stomach doesn’t stick out as much. That’s kind of nice. I like that part. My thighs got a little smaller. I just feel sexier, man.” —Notre Dame’s Louis Nix, on losing 23 pounds.

RAMS NEEDS

Even with the addition of Alex Carrington via free agency, it looks as if the Rams want to add another defensive tackle to their rotation in the draft. At defensive end, the Rams might have the best foursome in the league in Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes and Eugene Sims. But if Jadeveon Clowney should fall into their lap, they’d find a way to get him on the field.

RATING THE FIELD

Clowney is a superb athlete and Ealy could develop into a very good all-around player as a pro. But this draft is light on pass-rushing ends, who always are at a premium and frequently overvalued on draft day. However, the talent pool at defensive tackle is relatively deep; five DTs could go in Round 1.

—JIM THOMAS