NFL Draft 2014: Are we there yet?/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFL Draft 2014: Are we there yet?
By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...4-b81b-ad70f1da0a5d.html#.U1f_v-5061Q.twitter

In most years, the NFL draft would've come and gone by now. At worst, such as last year, it would be scheduled for this week. But in the league's never-ending search for more exposure and higher television ratings, it has been pushed back two weeks to May 8-10.

"By the time May comes around, everybody's gonna be ready to pick," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "There'll be some anticipation. It's gonna be different for players this year and staffs, because it's happening later."

Hundreds of draft prospects must wait an extra couple of weeks to find out where their pro careers will start, of if they'll have a pro career at all. For coaches, scouts, and personnel executives, it means an extra two weeks of looking at tape, evaluating talent, and going over draft scenarios.

"Your football body clock tells you that the draft really should be done, and you should be in OTAs," Fisher said. "But that's not gonna happen."

No, it's not. And for those coaches, scouts, and execs there's always the chance of paralysis by analysis, spending too much time going over the same stuff over and over.

To help prevent that, Fisher gave the scouts an extended Easter weekend. They were sent home after Thursday's meetings and didn't return until Tuesday. Fisher also has changed the daily schedule to avoid getting bleary-eyed and muddle-headed down the stretch.

"What it does is it allows you to do a 9-to-5 day in the draft room as opposed to an 8-to-10 day," he said. "We just spread it out. It gives us more time to go back and compare and contrast players."

At least the finish line finally is in sight. As of Thursday, the draft is two weeks away.

This time last year I was heading home, looking forward to a 4 day weekend and a 4am finish on Thursday, hoping we drafted Keenan Allen and Kenny Vacarro and that maybe Larry Warford would fall to our pick in the second.

Instead we've got two more weeks of draft articles, two more weeks of draft Clowney, no draft Matthews, no draft Watkins, two more weeks of Bradford sucks articles.

I've got a message for Goodell:

fucku.gif

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Any chance Goodell and the high court figure this was a mistake? #hatingthis

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Any chance Goodell and the high court figure this was a mistake? #hatingthis
I certainly hope so. Pushing the draft back two weeks was ridiculous. I'm tired of arguing about who the better prospect is. We should only have one more day of arguing, now we have two weeks.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I certainly hope so. Pushing the draft back two weeks was ridiculous. I'm tired of arguing about who the better prospect is. We should only have one more day of arguing, now we have two weeks.
And players are already at the facilities, this just pushes the rookies further back in their development. Bad idea

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Count me as one who thinks moving the draft back was a bad idea. It's waaaaaaay too watered down now. Instead of trying to fill "down time" for the NFL, they've created some. This is coming from fans with the 2ND AND 13TH OVERALL PICKS too, in one of the deepest draft classes in a while. I've been turning the fucking channel when draft talk comes on. I'm sick of hearing the same shit from the same people.

Bring on the fucking draft already. Instead of fans and media talking about the picks and players acquired we're sitting here talking about the same shit we have been for months now. You aren't creating more news and excitement for the league, you're losing it.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
They couldn't just move it one week because it would clash with the Kentucky Derby. So they went with 2 weeks.

It just doesn't flow well. Too long of a time between the Combine and the draft. If they wanted to do the draft in May, they should have pushed the Combine to March.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Arrogant people usually don't admit their mistakes, so no, it's highly unlikely.
Exactly. Goodell is basically a CEO, and most of them in this country belong at the bottom of the ocean along with their corporate lawyers, Good Ole Boys board members, and their bed buddies in Wall St.