NFL division power rankings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...ings-from-top-to-bottom-afc-west-is-nfls-best

The AFC West is going places. And we don't just mean L.A. and Vegas.

No division in the NFL is better from top to bottom, according to ESPN's post-free agency power rankings -- thanks in large part to the Oakland Raiders' rise under young stars such as Khalil Mack, Derek Carr and Amari Cooper.

The AFC West boasts three teams in the top 10 (No. 7 Raiders, No. 8 Chiefs and No. 10 Broncos), according to votes from a panel of more than 80 writers, editors and TV personalities.

Only one other division had two top-10 teams (the NFC East, with the No. 4 Cowboys and No. 9 Giants).

ESPN took those rankings, assigned a point value for each team (the No. 1 Patriots received 32 points, all the way down to one point for the 32nd-ranked Browns) and created a division-by-division power index -- which starts and ends on the West Coast:

1. AFC WEST: Last year, the AFC West was the first division since 2013 to produce two 12-win teams (the Raiders and Chiefs), and the Broncos just won a Super Bowl 14 months ago. The Chargers, meanwhile, aren't exactly dead weight, with Philip Rivers capable of leading a resurgence as they move north to Los Angeles. None of these teams made major waves in free agency, but it wasn't necessary to earn this ranking.

2. NFC EAST: The dynamic sophomore duo of Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott has the Cowboys aiming for their first Super Bowl in 22 years (even though their secondary took a bit of a hit in free agency). Credit the Giants for making free agency cool again last year when they spent mega-millions to radically revamp their defense, and now they've boosted their offense with the addition of receiver Brandon Marshall. The Redskins are coming off back-to-back winning seasons. And the Eagles just added perhaps the biggest impact newcomer in the division with receiver Alshon Jeffery.

3. NFC SOUTH: Before that epic Super Bowl collapse, the Falcons were the NFL's breakout team of 2016 (a trend that should continue with their addition of disruptive defense tackle Dontari Poe). A year earlier, the Panthers were the breakout team. Now it seems like the Buccaneers are a popular pick for 2017 -- thanks in part to the arrival of dynamic free-agent receiver DeSean Jackson. The Saints traded away their own dynamic deep threat in Brandin Cooks, but they have sleeper potential, too, if they can finally fix the defense.

4. NFC NORTH: Leave it to the NFC North to make its biggest moves in free agency on offensive linemen, running backs and tight ends -- an ode to the division's classic smashmouth reputation. The improved offensive lines in Detroit and Minnesota and the addition of running back Latavius Murray to the Vikings should help both teams gain a little ground on the No. 3-ranked Packers. The Bears made the biggest splash in the division by signing quarterback Mike Glennon, but for now they're the anchor in this group, all the way down at No. 29.

5. AFC NORTH: Of course the Browns deserve the biggest share of the blame for this ranking, since they're dead last at No. 32. But the Bengals have quietly plummeted over the past year, too. They're down to No. 23 now after losing two key free-agent offensive linemen: Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler. The Steelers are still the class of the division, but the Ravens hope to close the gap after signing free-agent safety Tony Jefferson, among others.

6. AFC EAST: We've come to the flaw in this power rankings formula -- there is no extra credit available for the Patriots. The reigning Super Bowl champs maxed out at 32 points with their No. 1 ranking despite adding the likes of receiver Brandin Cooks and cornerback Stephon Gilmore in a rich-getting-richer offseason. The Dolphins (No. 15) did make the playoffs last year, but the Bills and Jets are both ranked among the bottom seven teams.

7. AFC SOUTH: The good news: Any of the four teams in the AFC South could realistically win the division this season -- assuming the Jaguars' latest free-agent spending spree (defensive lineman Calais Campbell, cornerback A.J. Bouye, safety Barry Church, etc.) can finally lift them out of mediocrity. The bad news: Any of the four teams in the AFC South can realistically win because they don't have a single one ranked higher than 13th. This division needs J.J. Watt, Andrew Luck and Marcus Mariota all to come back strong from injuries.

8. NFC WEST: My, how the mighty divisions have fallen. It wasn't long ago that the NFC West would have ranked first on a list like this (they went a combined 42-22 in 2013). But now they are the only division that has two bottom-five teams in the power rankings (the 49ers at No. 31, the Rams at 28). Both of those teams are hoping to change that by hiring offensive whiz kids Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay as head coaches. Other than that, none of the four teams made a major splash in free agency.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
8. NFC WEST: My, how the mighty divisions have fallen. It wasn't long ago that the NFC West would have ranked first on a list like this (they went a combined 42-22 in 2013). But now they are the only division that has two bottom-five teams in the power rankings (the 49ers at No. 31, the Rams at 28). Both of those teams are hoping to change that by hiring offensive whiz kids Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay as head coaches. Other than that, none of the four teams made a major splash in free agency.
:blah::blah::blah::blah:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'm not surprised because a division that has both the Rams and SF should be ranked near the bottom

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I tend to agree with this, but why oh why do writers always make the mistake of changing a ranking (or not changing a ranking) because of guesses about FA?

Anyone who KNOWS the Rams knows that the Rams issues weren't really about personnel, ESPECIALLY on offense.

The Whitworth signing alone should have been considered MAJOR with respect to "which FAs will make the biggest difference to their new teams"

I know, even if most writers don't, that the Rams will be MUCH improved due to the new offensive system and better offensive coaching. THAT ALONE will yield a substantial difference.

Will we see a massive turnaround in games this first year of the new regime? I dunno. There's more to be done and we don't know how quickly Goff moreso than anyone else will grasp the new offense and how well he will execute it. And given we ONCE AGAIN have a top 5 schedule, potentially a top 3 schedule, I tend to think that even getting to 8-8 would be a MAJOR improvement considering how much was to be done to replace our historically bad offense last year.

Are we the 28th ranked team? No. I can almost guarantee that we won't end up with a top 5 draft pick next draft.

But absent realization of this team's new potential, I couldn't care less where they rank us.

We're gonna be a pain in the butt for teams this year....

bnw

Pro Bowler
Look on the bright side. Rams broke out of the 30s.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't blame anyone for ranking us so low. Right now all we have is what we saw last season. It was pathetic. The record might say we were the fifth worst team but it was clear we were not capable of beating anyone by the time we got to the final game. I was actually glad the season was mercifully over. We were getting worse with each game.

We all know the reason why we were so bad. The offense. The coaching was bad and the personnel regressed with that coaching. We have a new coach now. There is hope.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I want our division to be the worst in the NFL. Makes it easier on us to turn this thing around.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
The NFC East may be the toughest Division next year. The Giants have improved an already tough defense. Eagles have picked up way better receivers for Wentz, which was a huge problem. The Redskins are up in the air. Cousins should have just signed that extension they offered. The Cowboys have the best offense in the division, but has been held back by their defense. We are also the best drafting team in the league. We can find 3 starters in the draft. I don't think Dak will slump as much as people think he will.

With all that said, it could also be the worst division in the league, too. Haha.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFC East may be the toughest Division next year. The Giants have improved an already tough defense. Eagles have picked up way better receivers for Wentz, which was a huge problem. The Redskins are up in the air. Cousins should have just signed that extension they offered. The Cowboys have the best offense in the division, but has been held back by their defense. We are also the best drafting team in the league. We can find 3 starters in the draft. I don't think Dak will slump as much as people think he will.

With all that said, it could also be the worst division in the league, too. Haha.

The Giants and Cowboys should both come back down to earth a bit. Giants won a ton of close games, Cowboys had a near perfect storm...both are likely to change.

Redskins lost some pieces, although they should still be pretty good. Eagles...who knows. They started out looking great and then faltered. Wentz is still a question mark at this point.

Seahawks would easily be the best team in the NFC East, as much as it pains me to admit that. Depending on Palmer's health, Cardinals would be up there as well. Rams are definitely better than 4-12, but not a playoff team. Niners suck.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
The Giants and Cowboys should both come back down to earth a bit. Giants won a ton of close games, Cowboys had a near perfect storm...both are likely to change.

Redskins lost some pieces, although they should still be pretty good. Eagles...who knows. They started out looking great and then faltered. Wentz is still a question mark at this point.

Seahawks would easily be the best team in the NFC East, as much as it pains me to admit that. Depending on Palmer's health, Cardinals would be up there as well. Rams are definitely better than 4-12, but not a playoff team. Niners suck.
When did the Seahawks join the NFC East? :snicker:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When did the Seahawks join the NFC East? :snicker:

Lol they haven't, I'm just saying that the best team in the NFC West would easily be the best team in the NFC East as well. I think the West will be better top to bottom than the East next year - is basically what I was getting at.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

The impact of two young and top offensive minds to the NFC West is going to have a dramatic effect on the division over the next few years.

If you look at the past several years, even going into Harbaugh being in SF, it was a physical division with strong run games and defenses. Arians was the lone offensive guy in the mix, the crazy guy calling deep shots and keeping them on the cutting edge offensively. Now with 50% turnover to offensive head coaches it's going to be interesting to see how things turn out.