NFL discussing banning the Hip-drop tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tackling Easter Bunny GIF by MLB
Launching. Contact with the head. Driving head into turf. Applying full body weight.

When I was growing up that was a PERFECT tackle. :D

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
When I played our HS coach told us when tackling to aim at the belt buckle, that way it's less likely that they can juke you.

Of course when the dude didn't have a belt I was lost!

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t know why people keep saying the tush push has been taken from rugby. Even the rugby playing eagles player has said as much.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about that stupid Eagles pop warner play huh!

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I look at the death of the NFL for more than ratings and money.

That doesn't make any sense. Changes for player safety have been a part of the sport since the league has formed. I wonder what your opinion would've been back in the day when they changed from the leather helmets.

While I'll agree that some of the rule changes made in the name of player safety have made playing the game more complicated than what it needs to be, other changes have definitely decreased the number of injuries overall. That's great for everyone.

Can you imagine the NFL changing their policies based upon a bunch of Swifty's (sp) point of view? Yeah that's where we're headed.

You arrived at that conclusion based on discussions about potentially proposing a rule change to a certain style of tackling? What?!

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Do people here understand what a hip drop tackle is?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
First time I saw this thread title, I thought … What is the Hip-Hop Tackle, and Why is it a problem?

I need to read more carefully.

Ellard80

Legend
I'm not sure how you stop it but i do agree that dudes intentionally rolling up on guys legs needs to go away.

They are just trying to get the guy down any way they can.... but it's also so destructive to the legs, knees and ankles.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
That doesn't make any sense. Changes for player safety have been a part of the sport since the league has formed. I wonder what your opinion would've been back in the day when they changed from the leather helmets.

While I'll agree that some of the rule changes made in the name of player safety have made playing the game more complicated than what it needs to be, other changes have definitely decreased the number of injuries overall. That's great for everyone.

You arrived at that conclusion based on discussions about potentially proposing a rule change to a certain style of tackling? What?!

My point was and is. There are other ways the NFL could increase player safety instead of adding what will end up being subjective in the eyes of many. Referees are already overworked and vilified as it is. And we want to add more?
You want to less knee injuries? All grass fields. Which in my surprise they passed this year. But how long did it take them?
Less pads. Want to eliminate players leading with their heads? Watch rugby, it's common knowledge that they sustain less head injuries.
Want less ankle sprains and further knee issues? Change their cleats.

The answers are there but the NFL brass thinks their uniforms look cool with all their pads and helmets... marketing 101