NFL considering extending draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-considering-extending-draft.html
"If it's not broken, don't fix it.

However, the NFL refuses to adhere to this logic a lot of time.

In an interview with NFL Network's Jeff Darlington, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league is looking into expanding the draft to four days. It's already at three days, with a first round on Thursday, with rounds two and three on Friday and rounds four through seven on Saturday during draft weeks.

The idea would be to have a longer presence on television, which could drive up the cost for advertisers and potentially create more space for advertisers as well. It's actually smart business from their standpoint. More TV time and more money. But it's a bit much for the consumer watching the spectacle.

The draft was just as exciting when it was a two-day affair on Saturdays and Sundays. The three-day event is fine, since there's so much hype in prime time for the first round.

But seven rounds in four days? Please. That's too much. Hopefully, Goodell and the NFL will decide to keep the draft the way it is and not unneccessarily drag out an even that's already working well."
(n)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
They may add a round and draft 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, and 7&8. Even if they did, teams would still sign UDFAs afterwards so what's the point?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I wish I knew where Goddell lived so I can set a huge stinking pile of crap on fire in a paperbag, ring his doorbell and when he comes outside dickpunch him.

jap

Legend
Why not have a day for each freaking round? Why not have a post-draft coverage extravaganza for undrafted players? Why not mic-up the eventually Mr. Irrelevant and have him expound on why he is very relevant? Why not have Goodall pontificate on why he needs to do stupid things to create a long-lasting legacy?

V3

Hall of Fame
They need to stop with the draft. It's perfect right now in terms of length. They just need to move it back to it's original dates.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rammer not thinking this through:
I wish I knew where Goddell lived so I can set a huge stinking pile of crap on fire in a paper bag, ring his doorbell and when he comes outside dickpunch him.
It's gonna be kind of hard for him to stamp on that burning paper bag when he's writhing in pain on the ground isn't it? :LOL:

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
It's gonna be kind of hard for him to stamp on that burning paper bag when he's writhing in pain on the ground isn't it? :LOL:

Yah, the dickpunch should come after he extinguishes the burning poo bag.

Damn good thing were here Al or these guys would mess up everything.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn right cake! I'm here for the rest of you too. :shades:

Who are you again?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would hate that but I bet the teams would not. They seem to like the 24 hours after round 1 to reevaluate plus it buts teams at the top of round 2 more time for trade talk. Ifthey di this though I would group it as such - 1, 2, 3 & 4, (5,6,7). The last three rounds won't draw the overall viewership. By then the casual fans don't care, only us hardcore morons. I follow the later rounds on the radio so I can get stuff done, actually.

The new format has accomplished what it was supposed to do though. I recall some casual fans talking about round 1 the first year. Those two never followed the draft and obviously didnt follow it too closely but the Thursday night viewing got them interested. Otherwise I doubt they ever watch. People go out and do fun stuff on the weekends.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Where's @Username? We need a serious dick punch to Goodell.

junk_punch2.jpg

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Since I retired, I miss the old drat days when you'd take the day off and watch all day. Too much time on my hands I guess!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Report: Draft could go on the road
Posted by Mike Florio on May 1, 2014

draft.jpg
AP

Stop us if you’ve heard this one before.

Actually, don’t stop us. Because you have heard it before. It’s one of the stories that pops up from time to time, with plenty of talk and to date no action.

Gary Myers of the New York Daily News reports that the draft could go on the road as soon as 2015. And Myers accurately points out that, if the draft were to leave New York, a bidding war would emerge for the right to host the event. It’s also possible that the draft would be held in multiple cities, a feature that would be absolutely necessary if the NFL even follows through on the very unpopular idea of expanding the draft from three days to four.

It’s likewise possible (if not probable) that the NFL is simply trying to apply pressure to Radio City Music Hall, which hosts the annual event. Per Myers, the contract at Radio City applies only this year, with options for the future.

Which means that, in order to squeeze Radio City into the best possible deal for the NFL, Radio City needs to stare down the barrel of losing the draft completely. Which could mean better financial terms and a more flexible schedule that lets the NFL hold the draft when the NFL wants to hold the draft, regardless of the kind of scheduling conflict that ostensibly delayed the draft by two weeks this year.

Regardless of the reason, there’s a sense the NFL welcomed the delay, so that it could experiment with a May draft. That experiment has been a dud. Fans despise it, players and agents don’t like it, and the teams don’t like it. Meanwhile, the NFL created a lull that helped the NBA expertly address an unwanted situation and become the dominant sport for the first time in a long time.

Ultimately, we think the NFL likes having the draft in New York City, for a wide variety of reasons. It’s got caché. For the many NFL employees who staff the event, it’s got convenience. And it ensures maximum media coverage, both in New York and beyond.

Let’s not forget the ratings angle. The mere hosting of the Super Bowl in the New York area delivered the highest New York area ratings for a Super Bowl in years. By that same logic, a departure of the draft from New York could reduce New York interest watching the event on TV.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I can't imagine anyone being interest enough to watch 3 days worth let alone 4:shooting:

PhxRam

I think they should have one round per weekend. Really stretch it out over the summer.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Draft delay could impact rookie development
Posted by Mike Florio on May 4, 2014

draft1.jpg
AP

Teams and players and agents and fans have many reasons to not like this year’s two-week delay in the draft. Here’s another.

Rookies will have two fewer weeks to make the transition from college football to professional football. Two fewer weeks to have the playbook. Two fewer weeks to get to know teammates. Two fewer weeks to make the adjustment to the new city of residence, which could be on the other side of the country.

On one hand, it’s only two weeks. On the other hand, it’s two weeks. Fourteen days. Precious time to not be getting ready while the clock ticks toward the inevitable start of the 2014 regular season.

And while the transition traditionally has been more of a challenge for players coming from schools with June graduations, since an outdated but stubbornly unadjusted NFL rule blocks them from coming to offseason workouts until circumstances have permitted the playing of Pomp and Circumstance to which few or any of them will march, those players nevertheless get their playbooks promptly and come to town for a rookie minicamp, which gives the new teams a chance to see where they are from a fitness standpoint and, if necessary, to make specific recommendations about diet and workout plans for the next month or so until they can return.

The reduced time with rookies impacts all teams equally, although those with the best plan for dealing with the situation could turn it into a positive. The delay also could hurt the product by making it harder for rookies to make an immediate impact. At a time when plenty of concerns exist regarding the incoming class of quarterbacks, that’s another one.

Ultimately, fewer rookies could capture the imagination of fans in September and October. It’s one of the most intriguing aspects of a new football season — watching new players come in and make their mark. This year, it’s going to be harder than usual for that to happen.

That should be reason enough for the NFL to move the draft back to April in 2015, and beyond.