NFL considering additional protection for defensive players’ knees

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ional-protection-for-defensive-players-knees/
NFL considering additional protection for defensive players’ knees
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 22, 2014, 7:06 PM EDT
nfl-officials-strike-yellow-flag.jpg
Getty Images
When the NFL institutes new rules designed to protect quarterbacks and receivers, defensive players often ask, “What about us?” This year, the NFL isn’t considering any new rules designed to protect quarterbacks or receivers — but is considering a rule to protect defensive players.

That rule is a simple two-word addition to the rulebook that will likely save the knees of some defensive linemen and linebackers. The words “or side” would be added to the rule that says players can’t block an opponent in the back of the legs.

This rule is long overdue. A defensive player shouldn’t have to worry about his knee getting blown out by a block he can’t see coming. Just as defensive players have been taught to lower their targets and not hit offensive players in the head, offensive players can be told to raise their targets when blocking from the side and hit the midsection, not the knees.

The owners will vote on the proposal at next week’s league meeting. It would be a major surprise if the proposal doesn’t pass.
Long overdue IMO.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It has to be aimed at the knees if I read it correctly.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
"I used to be an All-pro like you...then i took a helmet to the knee."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm okay with this, actually.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Approve.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is long overdue for sure.

Also targeting a player on a fumble or INT return then hitting them while they aren't looking should be added to the list. To me that is the pinnacle of unsportsmanlike conduct.