Nfl Combine: Little-known Rb Creates A Buzz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He doesn't seem to have the moves at all like Austin, he seems to me to be a speed demon and that's about it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...kinnon-put-on-a-show-at-the-scouting-combine/

Jerick McKinnon put on a show at the Scouting Combine
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 26, 2014

We noted before the Combine that former Georgia Southern quarterback Jerick McKinnon would work out with the running backs in Indianapolis as he attempts to show NFL teams that he can play a different position as a pro. So how did McKinnon do?

He did as well as any player at any position, at least in terms of showing off his raw athletic ability. McKinnon ran a 4.41-second 40-yard dash, had a 40.5-inch vertical jump, broad-jumped 11 feet, and bench pressed 225 pounds a whopping 32 times. The Wall Street Journal crunched all the numbers from the Combine and concluded that no player at any position did better than McKinnon in all the various measurements of strength, speed and athletic ability.

Of course, football is not the Olympic decathlon, and just because McKinnon can run and jump and lift a lot of weight, that doesn’t mean he can succeed in the NFL. But NFL Network’s Mike Mayock said McKinnon showed off exactly the kind of measurables that NFL teams are looking for in a running back.

“As far as the running backs, I think McKinnon from Georgia Southern is a real wild card in this draft,” Mayock said. “He had a big day.”

The 5-foot-9, 209-pound McKinnon, who ran an old-school triple-option offense at Georgia Southern, said he hopes NFL teams recognize that he can pick up yardage with his legs, whether he’s lining up at quarterback or running back.

“I love to make plays,” McKinnon said. “I can make defenders miss and I feel like I have good balance and patience. I can make a cut and get north-south real quick.”

Before the Combine, McKinnon looked like he’d probably have to go the undrafted free agent route if he were going to make it to the NFL. Now McKinnon seems like he has a real shot at getting drafted. He’s just the kind of player who can boost his draft stock at the Combine, and he made the most of his opportunity.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and...14-Draft/3b2db6f5-2d81-4f73-8f58-9c642b8fb300

Running Back Depth is Scarce in 2014 Draft
Jonathan Webb/Website Intern

This year’s draft has been widely termed as one of the deepest in recent memory, though depth isn’t prevalent with every position.

This year’s running back class is, at least currently, a notable exception. The position’s top prospects have remained something of a mystery, with little separating the leading backs. A general consensus among draft experts has the first round going without a single back chosen. There are, however, quality backs slated for the second and third rounds, and could provide a team in need at the position with a relative bargain.

Though determining a front-runner at this juncture becomes difficult, heading this year’s class is a group that includes Arizona’s Ka’Deem Carey, Ohio State’s Carlos Hyde and Auburn’s Tre Mason, among others.

Serving as the Wildcats’ feature back, Carey rushed for 1,885 yards and 19 touchdowns last year, despite missing the first game of the year due to suspension. Carey posted a gaudy 5.4 yards per carry for Arizona, despite being dealt a heavy workload, one that saw him receive 48 carries in a four-touchdown game against Oregon.

At six feet and 242 pounds, Hyde enters this draft as perhaps the premier power back of the group. He averaged 7.3 yards per carry for the Buckeyes in 2013, en route to a 1,521-yard season and 15 touchdown runs.

Mason, who said he met with the Rams at the NFL Combine last week, represents a possible change-of-pace option to second-year tailback Zac Stacy, should the Rams consider drafting a back in the middle rounds in May.

While viewed as potentially a tertiary option among running backs, Mason believes his career with Auburn, which included eclipsing Bo Jackson’s school record for single-season rushing yardage, should elevate him among the position’s elite.

“I feel like I'm the best running back in this draft class because I broke Bo Jackson’s rushing record in the season," Mason said while speaking at the Combine. “If he was considered one of the best to do it and I broke his, then I feel like I should be the No. 1 running back in this draft.”

Mason then followed up his assessment by running a 4.5-second 40-yard dash at the Combine, which ranked 12th-best out of 36 backs.

The Rams have already stated their confidence in Zac Stacy as the Rams’ lead back moving forward, though how the depth chart shapes up behind Stacy could be a bit less certain.

They currently enter the offseason with four backs on their roster, with Bennie Cunningham, Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson currently backing up Stacy. With Stacy entrenched as the starter, versatility becomes key among the rest of the Rams’ options at running back. General Manager Les Snead spoke highly of Pead’s work on special teams units during the latter portion of the 2013 season.

“Competition affects things, but what’s nice about Isaiah is, he’s a competitor, he has a fire. He became one of our better special teamers. Earlier in his career, he didn’t really want to play (special teams) and really never has played, but he really wanted to get on the field and I think that element of it, you can expect some nice things going forward for him and we’ll try to continue evolving the role.”

Should the Rams add one more name to the mix in the middle rounds of this year’s draft, it’s a role that could see further evolution moving forward.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Put me in the category happy with our mix at RB.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
One hand carrier, holds the ball in his right hand running left ,at his size he could end up a fumble machine in the NFL,which was Canidates trouble,not his speed nor running instints, he left the ball on the ground

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Put me in the category happy with our mix at RB.
I'd like to join you in that category CGI...but i'm not there yet. I wouldn't mind seeing a RB drafted day 2 or 3.
Can Stacy take the pounding?
Can DRich bounce back as a #2 change up guy?
Can Benny hang on to the football?
Pead? Fuck knows.

If Snead can add additional picks in rd 3 i wouldn't hesitate to draft another power back like Carlos Hyde...or a versatile back like Marion Grice in the 4th or 5th rd. I see Grice as an answer to what Pead should have been. A true one-two punch guy that can run,catch and pass protect next to a power back like Stacy.