Nfl Combine: Little-known Rb Creates A Buzz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_aa9a8e77-dff9-59b3-a502-489cf4daa28a.html

NFL combine: Little-known RB creates a buzz
By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

INDIANAPOLIS • Sunday, as always, is “Money Day” at the NFL scouting combine. That’s the day the glamour positions – quarterback, wide receiver, and running back – strut their stuff.

As much as NFL coaches, scouts and team executives insist they value production in college over stopwatch times, there’s money to be made with a fast 40 time.

With that in mind, we bring you Dri Archer of Kent State. Not exactly a household name in the world of college football, but Archer created the buzz of the day with his time of 4.26 seconds in the 40-yard dash. That was just off the combine record of 4.24 seconds posted by current Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson.

Although listed as a running back, Archer did much more in college, also playing wide receiver and returning kicks. He had a dazzling junior season in 2012, rushing for 1,429 yards and 16 touchdowns while averaging a whopping 9.0 yards per carry.

But he also caught 39 passes for 456 yards with four TDs, and was devastating on kickoff returns with a 36.9-yard average and TDs of 98 (twice) and 99 yards.

Because of an ankle injury, he appeared in only 10 games in 2013, and his production was down: 527 yards rushing, a 7.8-yard average, and six TDs; 327 yards receiving and four TDs; and a 100-yard kickoff return for a TD.

Archer’s sizzling 40 time put him back on the football map. Durability could be a concern because of his size (5-foot-8, 173), but he has the potential to be an explosive jack-of-all-trades type in the NFL.

The second-fastest 40 time at running back also came from a prospect from a non-power conference school. Jerick McKinnon of Georgia Southern was timed in 4.41 in the 40. He led all running backs in the bench press with 32 repetitions of 225 pounds.

McKinnon also played quarterback at Georgia Southern, a run-oriented member of the Football Championship Subdivision.

COMBINE BITS

It’s no secret that the Rams are looking for help in the secondary both at safety and cornerback. So it’s no surprise that several prospects are meeting with the team.

Safeties Calvin Pryor of Louisville and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix of Alabama, and cornerbacks Justin Gilbert of Oklahoma State and Jason Verrett of TCU all said they had formal interviews with the Rams or had formal interviews scheduled. The formal interviews take place in a team suite, and clubs are limited to only 60 such interviews.

Pryor, Clinton-Dix and Gilbert all are projected as first-round picks.

Mizzou cornerback E.J. Gaines said he had an informal visit with the Rams. Because of a groin injury suffered in training, Gaines said he will not work out for NFL teams until the Tigers’ pro day.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Kid is retarded fast. He's not very big but could be a late round steal for somebody.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I remember reading about Archer prior to the season that he could end up being a similar player to Austin.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I wanted him to enter the draft last year and grab him just to use on kick returns and a few plays on offense.
Last year he attempted 16 kick returns. Returned 4 of them for td's.
This year he attempted 2 kick returns. Returned 1 of them for a td.

Don't know why he was used more on kick returns, people were argueing about it last year with his 16, not sure why they dropped off so much this year as well. Guy is electric in the return game.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think grabbing him or Mason late in the draft would be icing on the cake if we could.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I saw a youtube clip of this kid last year and was amazed when everyone was talking about Austin.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I saw a youtube clip of this kid last year and was amazed when everyone was talking about Austin.

Depending what round he goes in...could you imagine the gadget plays you could run with BOTH?

Talk about end-around reverse plays!!!

But you also gotta keep in mind that Kent State wasn't playing the same teams as WVU.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If Dri is little known I must watch way too much college football.

Little known to us people with jobs..

JK man. Some people watch more CF than others. I am guilty of only watching a few teams I like and then trying like hell to catch up around draft time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Little known to us people with jobs..

JK man. Some people watch more CF than others. I am guilty of only watching a few teams I like and then trying like hell to catch up around draft time.
That is pretty much where I am. If they don't play in the Pac 12 or play a Pac 12 team, I probably haven't watched them and have to catch up this time of year.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
That is pretty much where I am. If they don't play in the Pac 12 or play a Pac 12 team, I probably haven't watched them and have to catch up this time of year.

I think most people don't really know much about him. The only thing I knew was his name, and that he was going to run fast. I've never seen him play.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
He looks like pee wee football size. Almost makes Austin look big.
But no denying the speed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Trung Candidate was fast. It didn't help him.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I think grabbing him or Mason late in the draft would be icing on the cake if we could.

He's listed at 170 something, and the knock on him is he can't run between the tackles. No place for him here then.