NFL.Com Top 10 QB under 25: Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000205545/article/top-10-quarterbacks-25-or-under-sam-bradford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... m-bradford</a>

clicking the link is better than me copying the story...trust me...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Top 10 quarterbacks 25 or under: Sam Bradford

This is the age of the young quarterback. Buoyed by the draft class of 2012, we have a surplus of promising young signal-callers. Around The League and "NFL Total Access" will count down the top 10 quarterbacks 25 or under we'd want leading our franchise.

No. 8: Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams

Why he's here:

Bradford was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft for a reason. (Well, other than the fact the St. Louis Rams badly needed a quarterback and the next QB drafted that year was Tim Tebow.) Bradford came out of Oklahoma known for his accuracy, NFL arm and smarts. After three years and 42 starts, Bradford as a pro is tougher to define.

Evaluating Bradford was harder than any quarterback on this list because of the lack of players around him and his offensive system in 2012. [hil]Bradford has played for three dramatically different offenses in three seasons. Blaming the surrounding talent often is a cheap excuse because you can isolate quarterback play, but Bradford's supporting cast often masked solid performances.[/hil]

The arm strength is still there. And despite the Rams' often frustrating station-to-station offense under coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Bradford enjoyed his best season in 2012. The play below is a nice example of Bradford's ability to throw on the move and use his natural velocity.

[nfl]0ap2000000205442[/nfl]

Bradford threw 21 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions last season, dramatically raising his yards per attempt average to 6.7. You had to squint, but there was real progress in 2012. Just not enough to satisfy many Rams fans.

Why he's not higher

It's fair to say Bradford has not elevated the play of those around him. In 2011 especially, he appeared shell-shocked because of all the pressure he saw. Early pressure often was a problem last season, but timing with his young receiver crew was the bigger issue. The Rams did not have receivers who could win against press man coverage, which especially killed them on third downs. Even when his receivers won, Bradford often threw behind them on slant routes.

Perhaps Bradford's biggest issue is the toughest to evaluate for an outsider. Greg Cosell of NFL Films would call it "seeing the field clearly." On plays Bradford got the right protection and what he wanted out of the coverage, he often hesitated. This led to dump-off passes when the play design called for more. The first play in the package below is an example of what I mean:

[nfl]0ap2000000205438[/nfl]

[hil]The Rams rely on option routes, which require Bradford and his receiver to be on the same page. I saw a ton of broken-off routes and passes to nowhere. Bradford and his young wideouts, especially the promising Chris Givens, often saw the field differently.[/hil]The second play above illustrates that. This is understandable in a new offense, but it's something Bradford must overcome this year.

All of the different systems and numerous hits appear to have slowed down Bradford's processing. Hopefully a second year in Schottenheimer's system speeds things up.

Bradford's floor

The talking point around Bradford this season says it's a make-or-break year. His salary explodes in 2014, but I still don't buy the argument. Even if Bradford stagnated, are the Rams really going to give up on him now with everything they have invested? They passed on Robert Griffin III for him.

The only scenario where Bradford isn't a Ram next year would be if the team bottoms out and the Rams falls in love with a rookie quarterback. That's hard to imagine. The Rams have a dynamic defensive roster that will keep them in almost every game. And [hil]Bradford showed signs of emerging last season. He made a ton of huge plays in both contests against the San Francisco 49ers, saving his best throws for when the game was on the line.[/hil] He also showed far better pocket toughness than I expected over the course of the season.

[nfl]0ap2000000205423[/nfl]

[hil]Bradford delivered a lot of very good passes just before getting smacked around last year. His receivers didn't always make the catch, but Bradford didn't flinch. He stood tall and showed he can deliver with bodies around him. Bradford's going to be an NFL starter for a long time. I'd be surprised if that didn't play out primarily in St. Louis.[/hil]

Bradford's five-year ceiling

The Rams' defense and coaching staff will give Bradford a chance to start winning playoff games sooner than later. But there's also no denying he's well behind in his development compared to players who reach elite status. Most established top-10 quarterbacks showed more by this point in their career.

Bradford seems to be just missing something, but it's hard to put a finger on what that something is. He's often at his best in the 2-minute drill and when he lets the ball rip on a double move like the touchdown to Chris Givens, shown to the right.

A career like another former No. 1 overall pick who finally emerged -- Alex Smith -- wouldn't be a shock. I think Bradford has an even better chance to raise his game to an Eli Manning-like level where he's always only one crazy playoff run away from immortality.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There's a whole lotta Bradford discussion on the internet lately, eh?

Weird.

I'll refrain from commenting on him again. I've done the work. I've seen every throw he made last year (sometimes twice), and I know what I know. He'll show up this year in a big way. If he doesn't, then the problem is going to end up being mental, IMO. Like a confidence issue or something. Because his physical skills, work ethic, intelligence, accuracy and arm strength are all off the charts.

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:

Weird.

I'll refrain from commenting on him again. I've done the work. I've seen every throw he made last year (sometimes twice), and I know what I know. He'll show up this year in a big way. If he doesn't, then the problem is going to end up being mental, IMO. Like a confidence issue or something. Because his physical skills, work ethic, intelligence, accuracy and arm strength are all off the charts.

While I am a Bradford fan, I think there are more things to consider than a problem being a mental one.

The Rams were more fortunate than other teams in terms of players ending up on IR. While I don't expect players to land on it the rate of 2011, I do expect there to be possibly more players missing time. As long as not everyone is falling like flies(2011), I expect Bradford to be able to overcome that adversity.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lesson said:
X said:

Weird.

While I am a Bradford fan, I think there are more things to consider than a problem being a mental one.

The Rams were more fortunate than other teams in terms of players ending up on IR. While I don't expect players to land on it the rate of 2011, I do expect there to be possibly more players missing time. As long as not everyone is falling like flies(2011), I expect Bradford to be able to overcome that adversity.
Well, yeah. I meant taking all of that out of the equation. If the team enjoys relative health (comparatively speaking) and Bradford doesn't take a huge step forward, then it's not going to be because of his talent level. Something else will be going on. Now, that said, I do expect some hiccups with all the youth and inexperience on the field at the same time. Pretty much expect Cook and Kendricks to be his go-to guys early on. And maybe Givens.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Sam is going to finally have the "luxury" of having consecutive seasons with an OC. I think that has been a major factor in his development. The fact that he has WRs and RBs that are younger makes it to where he will be a natural leader, something that SJAX was during Sam's first 3 years. I am very excited to see Sam this year, and I think by the end of the season he will be regarded as a top 10 QB in the NFL.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Also, I think the comparison to Smith is ludicrous.

Bradford doesn't have to be sheltered like Smith was in SF.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Lesson said:
X said:

Weird.

Well, yeah. I meant taking all of that out of the equation. If the team enjoys relative health (comparatively speaking) and Bradford doesn't take a huge step forward, then it's not going to be because of his talent level. Something else will be going on. Now, that said, I do expect some hiccups with all the youth and inexperience on the field at the same time. Pretty much expect Cook and Kendricks to be his go-to guys early on. And maybe Givens.
Agree with all of the above. The young receivers are going to miss a lot of routes. I hope they don't, but this is different than college, it's not an easy transition. I think Sam's INT's will probably be higher because of it, but I also expect his TD's to be higher, because of the WR talent level, and playmakedness. Yes, I made that word up.

@Lesson, yeah, I don't see the comparison between the two.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Bradford being strong in the 2 minute doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. I don't think that it has to do with him not being good outside of a 2 minute drill, I think that it's more the plays called by previous coaching staff's.. Especially under Spags, I felt he was always holding him back... That and the receivers around him, make it hard to call plays, guys have to be a little held back until everyone is on the same page. New offenses slow that down.

Sam will be better this year, and next year he's going to be even more lights out. As the offense will grow, Bradford will ascend into the top 3 QB's, and in my opinion will have people questioning who is better him, or Luck. Similar to the Manning/Brady debate that most have.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Finally some good analysis...and it was by nfl.com which was a bit of a surprise. I think Sam does his best work in an up-tempo offense...especially in the sugar huddle. Wish we'd go to that full time.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
NFLN Top 10 quarterbacks 25 or under: Sam Bradford

Find this article at: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000205545/article/top-10-quarterbacks-25-or-under-sam-bradford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... m-bradford</a>

Top 10 quarterbacks 25 or under: Sam Bradford

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: May 22, 2013 at 05:49 p.m.
Updated: May 22, 2013 at 07:49 p.m.

This is the age of the young quarterback. Buoyed by the draft class of 2012, we have a surplus of promising young signal-callers. Around The League and "NFL Total Access" will count down the top 10 quarterbacks 25 or under we'd want leading our franchise.
No. 8: Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams

Why he's here

Bradford was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft for a reason. (Well, other than the fact the St. Louis Rams badly needed a quarterback and the next QB drafted that year was Tim Tebow.) Bradford came out of Oklahoma known for his accuracy, NFL arm and smarts. After three years and 42 starts, Bradford as a pro is tougher to define.

Evaluating Bradford was harder than any quarterback on this list because of the lack of players around him and his offensive system in 2012. Bradford has played for three dramatically different offenses in three seasons. Blaming the surrounding talent often is a cheap excuse because you can isolate quarterback play, but Bradford's supporting cast often masked solid performances.

The arm strength is still there. And despite the Rams' often frustrating station-to-station offense under coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Bradford enjoyed his best season in 2012. The play below is a nice example of Bradford's ability to throw on the move and use his natural velocity.

[nfl]0ap2000000205442[/nfl]

Bradford threw 21 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions last season, dramatically raising his yards per attempt average to 6.7. You had to squint, but there was real progress in 2012. Just not enough to satisfy many Rams fans.

Why he's not higher

It's fair to say Bradford has not elevated the play of those around him. In 2011 especially, he appeared shell-shocked because of all the pressure he saw. Early pressure often was a problem last season, but timing with his young receiver crew was the bigger issue. The Rams did not have receivers who could win against press man coverage, which especially killed them on third downs. Even when his receivers won, Bradford often threw behind them on slant routes.

Perhaps Bradford's biggest issue is the toughest to evaluate for an outsider. Greg Cosell of NFL Films would call it "seeing the field clearly." On plays Bradford got the right protection and what he wanted out of the coverage, he often hesitated. This led to dump-off passes when the play design called for more. The first play in the package below is an example of what I mean:

[nfl]0ap2000000205438[/nfl]

The Rams rely on option routes, which require Bradford and his receiver to be on the same page. I saw a ton of broken-off routes and passes to nowhere. Bradford and his young wideouts, especially the promising Chris Givens, often saw the field differently. The second play above illustrates that. This is understandable in a new offense, but it's something Bradford must overcome this year.

All of the different systems and numerous hits appear to have slowed down Bradford's processing. Hopefully a second year in Schottenheimer's system speeds things up.

Bradford's floor

The talking point around Bradford this season says it's a make-or-break year. His salary explodes in 2014, but I still don't buy the argument. Even if Bradford stagnated, are the Rams really going to give up on him now with everything they have invested? They passed on Robert Griffin III for him.

The only scenario where Bradford isn't a Ram next year would be if the team bottoms out and the Rams falls in love with a rookie quarterback. That's hard to imagine. The Rams have a dynamic defensive roster that will keep them in almost every game. And Bradford showed signs of emerging last season. He made a ton of huge plays in both contests against the San Francisco 49ers, saving his best throws for when the game was on the line. He also showed far better pocket toughness than I expected over the course of the season.

[nfl]0ap2000000205423[/nfl]

Bradford delivered a lot of very good passes just before getting smacked around last year. His receivers didn't always make the catch, but Bradford didn't flinch. He stood tall and showed he can deliver with bodies around him. Bradford's going to be an NFL starter for a long time. I'd be surprised if that didn't play out primarily in St. Louis.

Bradford's five-year ceiling

The Rams' defense and coaching staff will give Bradford a chance to start winning playoff games sooner than later. But there's also no denying he's well behind in his development compared to players who reach elite status. Most established top-10 quarterbacks showed more by this point in their career.

Bradford seems to be just missing something, but it's hard to put a finger on what that something is. He's often at his best in the 2-minute drill and when he lets the ball rip on a double move like the touchdown to Chris Givens.

[nfl]0ap2000000086149[/nfl]

A career like another former No. 1 overall pick who finally emerged -- Alex Smith -- wouldn't be a shock. I think Bradford has an even better chance to raise his game to an Eli Manning-like level where he's always only one crazy playoff run away from immortality.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Re: NFLN Top 10 quarterbacks 25 or under: Sam Bradford

Great article stranger! I have no clue why the listed the second video with the second play the WR clearly stopped and Sam through it so it would meet him full speed. Bradford does make mistakes but I'd bet my house if it's up to just him.... we are well off.

nighttrain

Legend
bluecoconuts said:
Bradford being strong in the 2 minute doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. I don't think that it has to do with him not being good outside of a 2 minute drill, I think that it's more the plays called by previous coaching staff's.. Especially under Spags, I felt he was always holding him back... That and the receivers around him, make it hard to call plays, guys have to be a little held back until everyone is on the same page. New offenses slow that down.

Sam will be better this year, and next year he's going to be even more lights out. As the offense will grow, Bradford will ascend into the top 3 QB's, and in my opinion will have people questioning who is better him, or Luck. Similar to the Manning/Brady debate that most have.
And there it is
train